BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2013 4:10 pm  #681

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

ancientsgate wrote:

Right. And I can see why that's important to original canon fans. The showrunners and writers are huge ACD fans, and I think their original focus was to be true to the original stories, just updated for our time. We might see some branching out in the storylines for S3-- that would be interesting, although the original canon fans might be upset about that. Not me-- I'm up for whatever they throw our way!

Maybe :D. I think there is still enough stuff in the original stories which could be done. Or not. As long as it´s good, I don´t care, too.....
But there is one more thing I like to say about the canon references: One literature teacher of mine told us once at university something about good literature out of his perspective. He said, that you of course should have (intellectual) fun and delight with a real good book or any other well done art piece, even, if you know nothing about it. But -  to go deeper into it, realizing pattern and frames, the whole composing of a story, to discover the references, get aware of the threads and (leit)motifs, the quotes or whatever stilistic mean is used, will give you even more pleasure and delight. And he is right: After watching a lot of interviews with writers, actors and directors of Sherlock, while reading now the original stories and watching some canonical films and other stuff, in short: after knowing more now about the canon which Moffat and Gatiss use, I even have more fun with Sherlock (I doubted about this possibility before ).
That´s why I think the canon is not unimportant: It makes the films not arbitrary (like e.g. the episodes of Elementary are for me). It gives the films a frame, a loose one, but nevertheless existing and important. And, actually I doubt that Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss will give this away. It´s a treasure.... At least I hope so, but it´s not the end of the world if it happens in another way.

February 26, 2013 7:17 pm  #682

I still think Sherlock wouldn't have been so unaffectedly by the news that Mrs. Hudsnon was dying if he didn't know it was fake.
But we'll see it eventually. I'm excited about the solution.

February 26, 2013 7:38 pm  #683

Even in the case that the call was arranged by Moriarty Sherlock would still have seen through it, I think.
Either way, he knew that the call was a fake.

What strikes me as a bit odd is the fact that in the episode John says "paramadics" while in the Casebook he says that the caller had claimed to be from Scotland Yard.
The whole thing is actually really strange because when you're on the run from the police you don't usually answer your phone, do you?

Last edited by Lily (February 26, 2013 7:38 pm)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 26, 2013 8:27 pm  #684

He waas woken by the call and yes, I'd already indicated the difference with The Casebook...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 27, 2013 5:19 am  #685

Another thing is that if Mrs Hudson had really been shot, she would have been taken to hospital, and so, if the call was real, they probably would have asked John to meet them at the hospital

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

February 27, 2013 6:51 am  #686

Yep, always thought that! Maybe he did too, afterwards!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 27, 2013 1:04 pm  #687

Myraya wrote:

I still think Sherlock wouldn't have been so unaffectedly by the news that Mrs. Hudsnon was dying if he didn't know it was fake.
But we'll see it eventually. I'm excited about the solution.

Me, too, let´s see . And I hope we will see it soon!
As for The Final Problem: There it´s said that Holmes immediately knew that the message was a hoax. Could be here the same and this would explain that he is so cool.

February 27, 2013 4:40 pm  #688

I didn't think there was any question about him knowing it was a hoax.

February 27, 2013 5:02 pm  #689

besleybean wrote:

I didn't think there was any question about him knowing it was a hoax.

Right. Wanted to say: a hoax, arranged by Moriarty. 

February 28, 2013 9:04 am  #690

Whatever the solution is, it better be as good as I'm imgaining it to be

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

February 28, 2013 4:08 pm  #691

From all I've heared the theory that Sherlock jumped into the garbage truck, but somehow I don't think that this really will be the solution. Just a feeling but it seems to be a little bit too simple for this series. It'll be something very ingenious which is so outside the box that we can't imagine it yet.
What do you think?

February 28, 2013 4:29 pm  #692

Oh I think a few people have guessed it!

February 28, 2013 6:04 pm  #693

besleybean wrote:

Oh I think a few people have guessed it!

What do you mean?

February 28, 2013 6:05 pm  #694

Well I wasn't clever enough to correctly  guess the season 1 cliffhanger, but some people did.

February 28, 2013 6:27 pm  #695

besleybean wrote:

Well I wasn't clever enough to correctly  guess the season 1 cliffhanger, but some people did.

But that was different. The season one cliffhanger you really only could guess. I mean there weren't any hints, right?

February 28, 2013 6:42 pm  #696

I guess this is so.  Tho the phone thing did kind of fit in with Moriarty's personality, led nicely into Irene and of course they were able to link it to Reichenbach... but yes, that was all in the future!
I really meant because of all the theories and also things the writers have said...I think we're fairly close!

February 28, 2013 8:23 pm  #697

besleybean wrote:

I guess this is so.  Tho the phone thing did kind of fit in with Moriarty's personality, led nicely into Irene and of course they were able to link it to Reichenbach... but yes, that was all in the future!
I really meant because of all the theories and also things the writers have said...I think we're fairly close!

So what do you think is the solution?

February 28, 2013 8:31 pm  #698

Myraya wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 28, 2013 8:33 pm  #699

tobeornot221b wrote:

Myraya wrote:

Yeah, see? Even Sherlock and John are in the dark.

February 28, 2013 8:38 pm  #700

Nobody knows. Well, Moffat does. I hate him. No, I love him. *sigh* It's complicated...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera