BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2013 7:08 am  #641

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

ancientsgate wrote:

That stuff in the beginning of TRF, with John standing alongside telling Sherlock what to say and do, might have just been stuck in there as a plot device-- to show how awkward Sherlock is in polite company, when he's expected to do the socially acceptable thing, how John functions as his conscience and adviser, and finally how willing Sherlock is to take his direction, knowing full well that he's the pants in such situations. Also, it was drop-dead funny, and that never hurts, lol.

Yes, it was funny, I'll give you that. Anything is possible, although, do we really needed that to show us how awkward Sherlock is in such situations and that John is a sort of a conscience and perhaps break in his actions? No, I don't think so. It was clear enough from the rest of the series. The way I see it, TRF is a very psychological episode. It's as much a battle of witts as it is one of wills. Sherlock, at least how I perceive him, is not one to do something against his will unless it's absolutely necessary and there is no way out. He likes his independence. Otherwise, why not actually get a job with the Scotland Yard? I'm sure he could have controled himself for a while and afterward they wouldn't fire him because they needed him. So why do this media thing he hated? UNless there was a pressing need for it.

I think because Lestrade told him to. I dunno, but I can't see that anyone at the Yard appreciates Sherlock, thinks he's valuable, or wants him around. Donovan hates him and is deeply suspicious of him and his motives; she and Anderson both scornfully dismiss him as a freak. Lestrade's boss was *horrified* when he found out he'd been consulting with Sherlock in more than a few cases. And then what did the Chief Inspector dude say up in the LR at 221B? Called Sherlock a vigilante type, etc, and got chinned by John for his efforts, lol. I think, in reality, Lestrade is actually the only one who will give Sherlock the time of day at the Yard.

All discussion is welcome here, so discuss away! TRF is my fave episode of the six we have so far, so I like thinking about it.

Because only Lestrade knows what he's capable of, or at least, only he realizes how lost they'd be without him. Anderson and Donovan hate him, I agree, and they would jump at any opportunity of arresting him. They don't like him, no one likes him. But even so, he closes cases and they would eventually be pressed to reach out to him unles they wanted a mountain of unsolved cases, and they would. 

The chief's reaction must be put in the light of the events. The rumour that he was a fake and he'd killed was already out there. The chief was contemplating the possibility and thinking just how many he'd already killed under their noses and then "helped" them solve them. Like I said, TRF is a psychological episode.

Last edited by Sparrow (February 23, 2013 7:08 am)

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

February 23, 2013 9:17 am  #642

I mostly agree with your theories, AliceI, apart from the body not being Sherlock's body.
We see a close up of his face and it's definitely him, also I don't think they would have used Benedict for this scene if the body wasn't supposed to be Sherlock. There is this theory going round of there being a mask that closely resembles Sherlock's face but I don't really believe in that theory.
Someone pointed out that when you look at the body right when it disappears into the building it does not look like Sherlock and that while John was being distracted by the 'paramedics' Sherlock got up and disappeared in the phone box (visible on the left) while the body was swapped. Not sure about that, though.

As for the removal of Moriarty's body, I think it might have been Mycroft and that the covering up of Moriarty's involvement is to protect Sherlock and his friends. By not stating that Moriarty is dead, no one will doubt Kitty Riley's story - not only the general public but also Moriarty's henchmen. Maybe they don't know why he's disappeared but having the public know that Moriarty is dead might cast certain doubts on the whole story - having the police investigate Moriarty's death would clearly lead to finding out that Moriarty killed himself and wasn't murdered by Sherlock. Of course they could assume that Sherlock had threatened him or that the pressure had become to much for Richard Brook but I somehow think that it is easier to cover everything up until it is sure that Sherlock is safe than letting details leak through, that might cast even the slightest doubt on what had happened.

I didn't notice the camera, I have to take a look at that later.

Last edited by Lily (February 23, 2013 9:20 am)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 23, 2013 12:12 pm  #643

Lily wrote:

I didn't notice the camera, I have to take a look at that later.

You won't actually see the camera, what I noticed immediatly was the fact that, we the viewer, were looking through that camera at the beginning of that scene as it panned from left to right. The camera was there, hidden, and we know this because of that view through it.

I didn't know about the writers saying that Moriarty is in fact dead. That being the case, that point is solved I guess.

As for Sherlock's body vs a morgue body - I'll have to agree to disagree. Why else would Sherlock enlist Molly's help? If he was going to pose as his own corpse then he wouldn't need to involver her. That would needlessly put her at risk. The body that they turned over could easily have been made up to look like Sherlock with something like facial putty.

I think that is why that one hand we see was so keen to remove John's hand from the body. You see a woman's hand peeling John's hand off the wrist of the body. I believe that was someone "in the know" who didn't want John to piece together what was actually going on.  

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 23, 2013 12:16 pm  #644

Molly ws enlisted fake the dearh certificate and possibly to acquire blood.  Tho I actually think the blood is Sherlock's own...possibly a frozen pint!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 23, 2013 12:20 pm  #645

Well I guess we'll find out when ever the third season does eventually come out. Of course I'll have to stop coming to the forum when that happens because we won't get it until next year at the very earliest! I hate living in America and loving British television!

Last edited by AliceI (February 23, 2013 12:20 pm)

February 23, 2013 12:22 pm  #646

But why then use Benedict and not a double?
I think as long as Benedict is used as an actor the body is supposed to be the real Sherlock.
And Sherlock still needed Molly, like besleybean pointed out: for the death certificate for example.

Last edited by Lily (February 23, 2013 12:23 pm)

February 23, 2013 12:43 pm  #647

AliceI wrote:

Well I guess we'll find out when ever the third season does eventually come out. Of course I'll have to stop coming to the forum when that happens because we won't get it until next year at the very earliest! I hate living in America and loving British television!

The Internet does serve its purposes you know. You can just watch it online. 

Last edited by Sparrow (February 23, 2013 12:43 pm)

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

February 23, 2013 12:47 pm  #648

You can even watch it in real time via stream.

February 23, 2013 4:53 pm  #649

Sparrow wrote:

AliceI wrote:

Not legally. You either have to get a fake UK ISP address to "fool" the BBC computers into thinking you paid your taxes and have a right to be watching, or sign up with one of those pirate download sources. Either one is a no-no in our house, so.... I will have to do what Alice says she'll do, bow out of the forum for a few months until I get to see the new eps. I refuse to be spoiled for every single interesting detail before I even get a chance to see it with my own eyes. My guesstimate is that the US won't see S3 until May 2014 at the earliest.

February 23, 2013 4:58 pm  #650

ancientsgate wrote:

Sparrow wrote:

AliceI wrote:

Not legally. You either have to get a fake UK ISP address to "fool" the BBC computers into thinking you paid your taxes and have a right to be watching, or sign up with one of those pirate download sources. Either one is a no-no in our house, so.... I will have to do what Alice says she'll do, bow out of the forum for a few months until I get to see the new eps. I refuse to be spoiled for every single interesting detail before I even get a chance to see it with my own eyes. My guesstimate is that the US won't see S3 until May 2014 at the earliest.

Hmmm I've never had do lie or fake anything, nor did I sign up with anything and I've watched them all online. In fact, I'm not even sure BBC broadcasts in my country. So I don't know what you're talking about really, 

February 23, 2013 5:23 pm  #651

Sparrow wrote:

[Hmmm I've never had do lie or fake anything, nor did I sign up with anything and I've watched them all online. In fact, I'm not even sure BBC broadcasts in my country. So I don't know what you're talking about really, 

Oh, sure, you can watch S1-S2 online now. I thought we were talking about seeing the new episodes as soon as they air in the UK, so we don't have to wait. Here in the US, there will be no legal way to see S3 until it airs on Masterpiece Theater. PBS will put the new epidoes up their own website for a couple of weeks after each of them airs on MT..... as I said, like in May 2014 or thereabouts. I presume the UK will see the new episodes first, sometime this coming fall (autumn).

February 23, 2013 5:28 pm  #652

Well, not exactly as soon as they air. Although it has happened that I managed to watch a Doctor Who episode litterally minutes after it finished broadcasting in the UK. I was surprised. But I usually never have to wait more than a day. And all without any sort of fraud or even signing up with anything. For I am certainly not one willing to do such a thing. 

Last edited by Sparrow (February 23, 2013 5:29 pm)

February 23, 2013 5:33 pm  #653

Sparrow wrote:

Well, not exactly as soon as they air. Although it has happened that I managed to watch a Doctor Who episode litterally minutes after it finished broadcasting in the UK. I was surprised. But I usually never have to wait more than a day. And all without any sort of fraud or even signing up with anything. For I am certainly not one willing to do such a thing. 

What country are you in?  What site do you use to watch?  Thanks for any info. I keep hoping against hope that I'll find some legal way to see the new episodes and not have to wait.

February 23, 2013 5:39 pm  #654

As for Sherlock, I think the DVD will be out only one week after broadcasting, so you don't have to wait that long to watch it.
I downloaded the episodes online only a few hours after they had been on tv (and I never had to sign up for anything to do so), I don't care if that's illegal, I don't want to wait that long to watch it again. I buy the DVDs anyway as soon as the are released, so I don't really care.

February 23, 2013 5:58 pm  #655

ancientsgate wrote:

Sparrow wrote:

What country are you in?  What site do you use to watch?  Thanks for any info. I keep hoping against hope that I'll find some legal way to see the new episodes and not have to wait.

Since this is quite off topic, I will send you a PM.

February 23, 2013 8:51 pm  #656

The problem again with buying the DVD is that they won't play on our players over here. Those DVDs that the BBC sells are for region 2 I live in the US, that's region one.

Can someone direct me to the right place to talk about a film I just finished watching. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Steven Hawkin in it and I am still stunned by it.

February 23, 2013 8:54 pm  #657

February 24, 2013 2:21 am  #658

Lily wrote:

As for Sherlock, I think the DVD will be out only one week after broadcasting, so you don't have to wait that long to watch it.   I downloaded the episodes online only a few hours after they had been on tv (and I never had to sign up for anything to do so), I don't care if that's illegal, I don't want to wait that long to watch it again. I buy the DVDs anyway as soon as the are released, so I don't really care.

What country are you in?

No Region 1 DVDs will be available until after the show is shown in the US. I cannot play Region 2 DVDs on my Region 1 players.

Are you in the UK? If so, that's why you have such free access to the show right after its first showings. For those outside the UK, we can't access BBC's programming on their website-- without a UK ISP address, the BBC computer will not acknowledge the request for viewing. I could sign up for a fake UK ISP address, to fool the BBC website into thinking I have paid my taxes and can see their offerings, but we have decided not to do things like that in our household.

I think I'm stuck.

February 24, 2013 3:20 am  #659

There is something else that kind of stinks for us Americans. When it airs on Masterpiece bits of it will have been cut to fit in the time slot along with comercials. I watched an interview where Steven Moffet, his wife, Benedict and the head of Masterpiece answered questions for an audience of 100 or so fans. That was one of the questions. So even when we do see it for the first time we won't see all of it. For that we'll have to wait for either Netflix to pick it up or they relese dvds that play in our region.

The only other option woud be to buy a dvd player in the UK and bring it home. Actually my husband and I are planning a dream trip for our 20th anniversary to Europe. I may just buy a dvd player while on that trip.

February 25, 2013 4:02 am  #660

Lots of stuff to ponder in the previous posts.  Just one quick comment about Mrs. Hudson's "dying".  Sherlock texted Moriarty to "come and play".  Moriarty could fake the call to John Watson about Mrs. Hudson to darw John away - "friends protect friends".  That fits with the canonical Sherlock story this episode is largely based on, in which Moriarty gives John Watson a fake mesasge that he's needed back at the inn for a medical emergency, and Holmes lets him go knowing full well this is Moriarty's trick, but he lets him go because he intends to confront Moriarty alone.

Board footera