BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 13, 2012 6:59 am  #441

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

Wholocked wrote:

Hmm I interpreted it that he did part of it and a stuntman did the wide shot stuff but having re-read that link I think you're right and he did it all himself.

Yes, he did do it all by himself.

October 14, 2012 3:14 pm  #442

I've come up with another Reichenbach-theory to explain how Sherlock survived.

Just a few notes before starting my words.
First of all, I'm not a native speaker of English.
Apologies for grammatical errors in advance!
I'll try to keep my words as simple as possible.

In the second place, my theory may be a bit unethical.
Some people may feel offended, so I'm sorry about that too.

OK, now, here are my conclusions for the Reichenbach Fall:

(1) Is Sherlock alive?
- Yes, he's safe and sound. Definitely!
(2) How did he survive?
- The guy who fell from the roof was a fake.
(3) Who jumped off instead of Sherlock then?
- It was Richard Brook, the actor Moriarty hired.
(4) Wait, so Richard died instead of Sherlock?
- Nope. Richard is alive as well due to Sherlock's careful planning.

I know it sounds awkward, but please be patient.
The following describes a brief flow of 'The Final Game' and how Sherlock deceived Moriarty.

Step I. Moriarty prepares for the battle
In order to get rid of Sherlock Holmes, James Moriarty hired Richard Brook, an out-of-work actor existing for real, who also is one of Moriarty's 'willing participants' to earn money.
Just like the cabbie from 'the Study in Pink'.

Richard turns his face into a replica of Sherlock's by having plastic surgery, and becomes a fake-Sherlock.
Moriarty then took place of Richard Brook instead of real Richard, and falsifies records, such as photographs on the webpage to pretend as Richard Brooks.
i.e. Moriarty is now the fake-Richard.

Additionally, Moriarty contacts Kitty Riley for the interview.

Step II. fake-Sherlock kidnaps the children
Moriarty orders fake-Sherlock to (1) abduct the kids from the school, and (2) show his face to the children so that they will remember Sherlock's face.
Fake-Sherlock fulfills his task and hides, not to be mistaken as the real Sherlock Holmes.

Step III. Sherlock meets the victim girl
The girl screams at Sherlock Holmes, being terrified.
Although the true kidnapper was the fake-Sherlock, as I said, his face is identical to real-Sherlock.
The girl panics, screams, and Sherlock is now suspected as a fraud.

Step IV. Sherlock meets fake-Richard
Sherlock and John meets Moriarty, who is now acting as Richard Brook.
To create everything from nothing may have been impossible, but Moriarty is only borrowing real Richard's identity.
It's easy for him to make up his false career in TV shows.

At this point, Sherlock has an option to contact Mycroft (though he may not use it).

Step V. Sherlock hires fake-Sherlock
Do you remember the scene of the Diogenes Club, just before the kidnapping occurred?
There appeared THE SUN on Mycroft's desk, which had an article written by Kitty Riley.
(See (1) Reference)

Kitty believed fake-Richard's confession because he also knew about Sherlock's whole life-story, which was originally recited by Mycroft Holmes.
It is quite doubtful that Mycroft didn't realise the connection between Moriarty and the news.
He would've been able to search who Richard Brook was as well and possibly found out fake-Richard's true identity.
Mycroft had met Moriarty before in the prison, face to face.

Mycroft may have not contact Sherlock at this point.
Yet still, they should have had enough time to discuss how to counterattack Moriarty, in order to ruin his life as a Consulting Criminal.
The discovery of fake-Sherlock would drastically change their strategy to fight against Moriarty.

At this point, Mycroft would need to make Moriarty
(1) answer whether the key code exists or not, and
(2) answer how he caused the prison break, bank irruption and the attempt to steal the crown,

while Sherlock needs to make Moriarty
(3) admit that he is not Richard Brooks, and
(4) tell who will be in what kind of danger if Sherlock refused to die.

Step VI. Fake-Sherlock meets Moriarty
Sherlock's first plan is this.

Phase 1. Sherlock prepares to deceive Moriarty and save Richard's life
Give instructions to Fake-Sherlock, and a wireless intercom, just in case of emergency.
Sherlock also tells Richard that there will be some collaborators beneath the building, so that Richard can safely land on the ground.
(See (2) Reference and (3) Reference)

In addition, Richard makes a preparation to fake his pulse, so John would misunderstand that Sherlock died.
By putting a tennis or rubber ball under the armpit and squeezing it down, Richard can temporary stop his pulse.
Remember Sherlock playing with a rubber ball, holding his hands behind the back, and using no body-language at all during the conversation with Moriarty?
If Richard used this trick, he would have had enough time to fake his death.
(See (4) Reference)

Phase 2. Fake-Sherlock meets Moriarty, and elicit a confession from him.
At the same time, Sherlock records the whole scene by using surveillance cameras set in London city, by using Mycroft's authority.
Again, Mycroft have already shown off his power in 'the Study in Pink'.

Phase 3. Fake-Sherlock jumps off from the roof.
This will become the end of 'the Adventure of Sherlock Holmes', a fairy-tale conducted by Moriarty.
*Remember: Richard will not die due to Sherlock's preparation.

However, Sherlock may have decided to change his mind because Moriarty had let out that there was a way to stop his plan.
(i.e. Sherlock may be able to save John, Ms. Hudson, Lestrade without Richard jumping off the roof.)

I was wondering why Sherlock paused twice, after stepping on to the edge of the roof, and after the laughter.
These pauses may have been the time for real Sherlock to explain the new plan for Fake-S via intercom.
(See (5) Reference)

Q. Then what was Sherlock's Plan B?
A. To make Moriarty believe that Sherlock would dare to cross the line in order to achieve his goal.

Sherlock describing himself as a person 'prepared to burn [others]' seems to reveal his plan to Moriarty.
It seems to indicate that Sherlock won't hesitate to kill Fake-S in exchange for Moriarty's downfall.
That is why 'I am you' (Sherlock is Moriarty), and will 'shake hands with you (Moriarty) in hell'.
By the same token, Sherlock telling Molly Hooper 'I wasn't everything that you think I am' starts to make sense.
(See (6) Reference)

Moriarty, on the other hand, seems to notice that the guy he's talking to is a fake.
Watch the scene carefully, just before Moriarty says 'Thank you' to Sherlock.
He is looking into Sherlock's eyes from immediate distance.
(See (7) Reference)

There are two hypotheses for how Moriarty realised that he was talking to Fake-S.
(1) Sherlock's eyes has special colour, known as Heterochromia Iridum.
(2) Sherlock's right eye has special characteristics, known as Coloboma.
*Note: Both phenomena don’t happen frequently.

Searching on google 'Benedict Cumberbatch eyes', I've found quite a lot of websites talking about the characteristics of Benedict's eye colour and the freckle in his right eye.
Just like fingerprints, the pattern of iris is used to identify an individual.

If Sherlock Holmes had eyes just like Benedict Cumberbatch had, Moriarty would've surely noticed that the guy in front of him was fake-Sherlock.
Fake-S may have same face as Sherlock Holmes, but not his eyes.
Fake-Sherlock may have worn contact lenses, but standing so close to each other, this would have been caught out too.
Real Sherlock Holmes doesn't need to wear contact lenses any way.

But what does it mean to reveal Sherlock's plan to Moriarty, at this certain point?
Here is a summary for what Sherlock and Moriarty might have thought.

Sherlock:
(1) Now, Moriarty knows my plan.
(2) Moriarty would think that I will kill Richard for my own sake, although I won't.
(3) His plan to kill Sherlock Holmes has failed.
(4) Moreover, the dead body would soon be recognised as the real Richard Brook.
(5) James Moriarty will come back to life as a real person,
(6) which enables Sherlock Holmes to clear off the suspicion.
(7) My victory in both aspects. Case solved.

Moriarty:
(1) Now, I understand Sherlock's real plan.
(2) Sherlock will kill Richard, just like I would kill others for my own sake.
(3) My plan to kill Sherlock Holmes has failed.
(4) On top of that, the dead body would soon be recognised as the real Richard Brook.
(5) The fictional character James Moriarty will come back to life as a real person,
(6) and I also won't be able to destroy Sherlock's reputation.
(7) Sherlock beats me in both aspects. Happily ever after.

As you can see, Sherlock will be able to
(1) defeat Moriarty,
(2) save John, Ms. Hudson, Lestrade and Richard, and
(3) exonerate the wrong conviction among people that Sherlock Holmes is a fraud.

Nonetheless, Moriarty successfully counterattacked Sherlock by committing suicide, but that's another story.

---Conclusion---

Sherlock Holmes survived from the Reichenbach Fall, hiring Richard Brook, who was turned into a body double of Sherlock by James Moriarty.

-Conclusion End-

I feel like I should've explained more on why Moriarty committed suicide, but since this article was written to discuss over how Sherlock survived, I'll leave it with some references that I used to support my theory.
Thank you for reading my page, and enjoy your deduction on BBC Sherlock!

(1)Reference: www.sherlockology.com/characters/kitty-riley - Kitty Riley's article

SHERLOCK'S A FAKE: THE SHOCKING TRUTH "He invented all the crimes"
(Close Friend Richard Brook Tells All) - Exclusive From Kitty Riley

SUPER-SLEUTH Sherlock Holmes has today been exposed as a fraud in a revelation that will shock his newfound base of adoring fans.
Out-of-work actor Richard Brook reveals exclusively to THE SUN that he was hired by Holmes in an elaborate deception to fool the British public into believing Holmes had above-average 'detective skills'.
"He had the whole 'Moriarty' cover cooked up from the beginning, and invented all the crimes," said Brook. "All I had to do was learn my lines."
Brook, who has known Holmes for decades and until recently considered him to be a close friend, said he was at first desperate for the money, but later found he had no choice but to continue the deception.
"I didn't realize what I was getting into until it was too late. I'm not proud of myself, but at least now the world knows the truth about Sherlock Holmes."
In what will no doubt spark a massive internal investigation at Scotland Yard, Holmes has also fooled several high-ranking detectives into believing his above-average 'detective skills' also.

(2)Reference: youtu.be/J0Hu2BSHiAg - SHERLOCK How He Faked His Death.
This is a very helpful clip with a methodological explanation of how Sherlock faked his death.
In this article, I'm referring to the description for how Sherlock safely landed on the ground.

(3)Reference: youtu.be/nrhWfuw9Pqs - How Sherlock faked his death in 'The Reichenbach Fall'
Geographical descriptions that helps to understand (2)Reference.

(4)Reference: www.bukisa.com/articles/191015_how-to-stop-your-pulse-magic-trick
How To Stop Your Pulse Magic Trick

(5)Reference: youtu.be/29gxQQdM7sI - With Moriarty
Sherlock: I am you, prepared to do anything, prepared to burn, prepared to do what ordinary people wouldn’t do. You want me to shake hands with you in hell. I shall not disappoint you.'

(6)Reference: youtu.be/48WI7SsPn6A - With Molly
Sherlock: I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am. Would you still want to help me?'

(7)Reference: youtu.be/3_i74DiTwtk - With Moriarty
Watch how Moriarty's eyes move.
He seems to compare the right eye and the left eye of Sherlock.

*This article is written by 永代(twitter.com/3ittiE)based on my idea.
Please don't copy without any permission!
My original article in Japanese is available here(kaoruco.blogspot.jp/2012/10/blog-post_13.html#!/2012/10/blog-post_13.html)

My heartfelt appreciation goes to 永代!! Thank you so much!!

KAORUCO

October 14, 2012 4:08 pm  #443

Goodness, I can't compete with the work above!
I've just been dying for the chance to say this, I kept forgetting with my other posts:
My 1st ever reaction to the out of character thing:
For me it was :  it's just a magic trick.
This is the complete opposite of what Sherlock says to Sebastian.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2012 4:55 pm  #444

@kaoruko
What a post!! I too have been wondering for a long time as to what Moriarty saw in Sherlock's eyes that changed his initial opinion about him. However, i won't be surprised if the theory that you presented above, doesn't come out true for, I don't think 'Sherlock' is the kind of show that will have duplicates or plastic surgery concept. It's a show for intelligent audience i guess  Also, i was wondering what wud be the need for Sherlock to have a duplicate working for him, coz as you said, he had worked out a plan already for the safe landing of "Richard". If he could save Richard, then he could save himself too.. Isn't it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

October 14, 2012 8:33 pm  #445

The more I discuss and read, I feel it is only Sherlock who jumped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2012 8:48 pm  #446

The idea of some Sherlock wannabee having plastic surgery to make him look enough like Sherlock to fool even Moriarty or John or Molly from a foot away, simply so he could fling himself to his death as a stand-in for Sherlock, is simply silly, IMO-- the stuff of science fiction. Ridiculous. I think whatever answers the writers give us, next time we see Sherlock in action, it'll be way more simple and believable than that. They also might very well ask us to hand wave some stuff, maybe even a surprising amount of stuff. Or, it could be such a simple explanation,  we'll hit ourselves in our collective foreheads and say, "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?"

October 14, 2012 8:55 pm  #447

ancientsgate wrote:

Or, it could be such a simple explanation,  we'll hit ourselves in our collective foreheads and say, "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?"

Yep. Pool scene-like solution within three seconds. I'm quite sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 14, 2012 9:03 pm  #448

tobeornot221b wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Or, it could be such a simple explanation,  we'll hit ourselves in our collective foreheads and say, "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?"

Yep. Pool scene-like solution within three seconds. I'm quite sure.

Gatiss et al are a clever lot. Reminds me of Sherlock's comment, "She's cleverer than you lot, and she's dead!"  None of us are half so clever as the writers of this wonderful show. Whatever they've cooked up for us, I'm sure it'll be squeee-worthy.

October 15, 2012 5:10 am  #449

I agree with Ancientsgate
The solution has to be simpler and more believable. I'd be seriously disappointed if some science-fiction sort of stuff takes place

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

October 15, 2012 5:53 am  #450

I think Steven will keep the Sci Fi to Dr Who!

October 15, 2012 12:08 pm  #451

While I am honestly impressed by the sheer depth and amount of detail in your theory, Kaoruco, I am afraid that I agree with the three posts above that I cannot see it happening, for the following reasons:

1."Mission Impossible"-style transplants just don't fit into a show like "Sherlock".
In the canon, there are many instances of people using camouflage and even fake scars and wigs, but never to the point of fooling their best friends or worst enemies (with the exception of "A case of Identity", but in that case the victim had very bad eyesight and was a very naive, unsuspecting person). In real life, such a stunt would be almost impossible to pull off. Furthermore, it has been used way too often in cheap books and films, so that many fans would consider it a let down if the solution was a Doppelgänger of Sherlock.

2. In your theory, Moriarty goes and finds this man (Richard), which I expect would be a long process of elimination (of other less suitable candidates) and careful examination.He then forces him to have a face transplant, trains him to talk and behave like Sherlock and commit a very serious crime (kidnapping of two children).Yet, he lets this man walk free afterwards, allows him to meet other people and is not aware of his every step? Especially after a warrant has been issued by the police to have Sherlock, who looks exactly like Richard, arrested?

3. Storywise, you gain next to nothing from the face-swap. Your theory still needs someone to kidnap the kids, someone to lie to Kitty Riley and Mycroft, someone to play the actor Richard Brook, and most importantly -  a way to survive a jump off the roof. Why would the writers choose to add such a far fetched (see 1) element to their story, when the fall alone is mystery enough?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

October 16, 2012 4:30 am  #452

monitaa wrote:

...what I understand is that Benedict did this stunt himself...

I spend far too much on this aspect; anyway, here we go:

Benedict was hooked up and did a controlled fall from a lower roof.

A professional stuntman did the actual long fall at the actual location of St. Bart's.

There is video evidence for this too. Does this help?

On a side note: I also thought Sherlock shed a tear but it may be otherwise. Moffat suggested we might not want to 'sentimentalise' Sherlock. !

October 16, 2012 6:02 am  #453

Yes, there's been a lot on this crying thing, I know I don't always agree with the writers about things!
Yes Sherlock had to act, to make it seem convincing he was going to commit suicide.
But I do think he knew the effect on John and was at least a tad upset about that.

October 16, 2012 10:21 am  #454

There were two falls-- first one, filming him from the back, after he threw down his phone and took off. Second one from John's POV on the ground, the long fall. Ben did them both.

The Doctor wrote:

Benedict was hooked up and did a controlled fall from a lower roof.

This was for the bit where he was shot from behind, throwing down his telephone, spreading his arms, and jumping-- that jump was done onto a low ledge somewhere.

A professional stuntman did the actual long fall

Ben also did the long fall. There were a couple of cranes up on the rooftop, they hitched him to ropes/cables, and he did the jump himself, from 70 feet up.
http://www.hypable.com/2012/01/21/benedict-cumberbatch-discusses-sherlock-finale/

October 16, 2012 10:24 am  #455

besleybean wrote:

Yes, there's been a lot on this crying thing, I know I don't always agree with the writers about things!
Yes Sherlock had to act, to make it seem convincing he was going to commit suicide.
But I do think he knew the effect on John and was at least a tad upset about that.

I also think he was plenty pissed off about how the whole world was going to believe he was a scam artist and a sham, when news got out of his suicide. A very prideful creature, our Sherlock, and this would have really bothered him to the max-- that people would soon think him a fake and a charlatan. So lots of regret and anger there, as well as maybe a bit of healthy fear about knowing he was about to step off a 70-foot rooftop! And yes, maybe some concern that he knew he'd be lying to and hurting/deceiving the only people in the world who gave a damn about him.

October 16, 2012 4:43 pm  #456

I feel I must add, tho.
I don't honestly think Sherlock would give a fig about what others thought of him.
Sherlock only seems to care what John thinks, even tho he still may think he's right.

Last edited by besleybean (October 16, 2012 4:44 pm)

October 16, 2012 6:11 pm  #457

besleybean wrote:

I feel I must add, tho.
I don't honestly think Sherlock would give a fig about what others thought of him.
Sherlock only seems to care what John thinks, even tho he still may think he's right.

But doesn't John say that to him (I think this is in TRF), when Sherlock says he doesn't care what anyone thinks that, "You'd care if they thought you were stupid.... or a fake," and Sherlock doesn't deny it.

October 16, 2012 6:13 pm  #458

In fact he does deny that very thing,
He says:  no, that would just make them stupid or wrong.

October 28, 2012 6:22 pm  #459

Has anybody seen the thermos bottle under the arm of the bench in front of St. Barts. When the sniper prepares to pull back the gun you see John's head.  Above the head on the right edge of the vizor/gun point you can see it. Might be some blood in it.

October 28, 2012 6:25 pm  #460

I don't think I noticed that, but it's a good excuse to watch the episode again.

So good to have new members noticing new things.

Board footera