BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2012 3:43 pm  #401

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

ok.  why do I get the feeling that Sherlock WASN'T on the roof at all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 7, 2012 4:42 pm  #402

sherlockskitty wrote:

ok.  why do I get the feeling that Sherlock WASN'T on the roof at all?

Ha, for all we know he wasnt! 

I don't know. I read a lot of theories but they either force some observations to find evidence or come up with theories that explain only some but not all of the facts.

Like the rubber ball theory... someone said that's why the paramedic didn't let John check the pulse on the neck but there's no way you can tell what John was reaching for when he was checking the body. John's had was blocked by the paramedics the whole time. It's conjecture passed off as fact.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

August 7, 2012 8:42 pm  #403

Something tells me I need to watch that scene over again..........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 8, 2012 12:31 am  #404

So do I 

About the pulse--was John checking Sherlock's pulse with his finger or his thumb? Because you can't check a pulse accurately with with your thumb...

August 8, 2012 12:44 am  #405

John has his first (index) and second finger tips right over the radial pulse.  Exactly the right place!

Last edited by Fetchinketch (August 8, 2012 4:01 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

August 8, 2012 8:04 am  #406

.. only that would be the last place I would ever check on a patient who has just fallen from great height. The on-setting shock would shut down any pulse in limbs within seconds/minutes, as the blood circulation is restricted to the most crucial organs.

August 8, 2012 7:16 pm  #407

I think it is highly unlikely that a combat medic would grab a wrist to check for a pulse either. I suspect this might be a bit of a technical error but it does allow for the possibility that John doesn't look closely at Sherlock's face.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 9, 2012 12:05 am  #408

.. I am quite sure the writers know better; however, they are also aware of public perception (that it is OK to check on wrists) and decided to run with it as it makes the final set-up of John easier.. in other words, they set it up as a show canon.

August 9, 2012 2:53 am  #409

Davina wrote:

I think it is highly unlikely that a combat medic would grab a wrist to check for a pulse either. I suspect this might be a bit of a technical error but it does allow for the possibility that John doesn't look closely at Sherlock's face.

I would say , given the scene & people involved, that it was the only place John COULD grab at that stage. It was crowded around the body & John simply reached out to the closest part of the body that he could.
Agree with The Doctor on these points also.

This is another part I find over-analysed; there's no need for this level of scrutiny on such a scene. I doubt there's any answers here. All observations are simple & straightforward.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 9, 2012 4:06 am  #410

I agree with Kazza. As much as it pains me to quote canon on this, people find facts to suit theories rather than theories to suit facts. This reminds me of the giant blog post on the meaning behind the IOUs and Grimm's Fairytales as well as the freeze frame check if Sherlock put the rubber ball in his pocket. The creators wouldn't put a clue in the episode that could only be seen with state-of-the-art video editing programs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

August 28, 2012 10:35 am  #411

There is no way that I can read through 28 pages of discussion, so I'm just dropping in my two cents on "surviving the fall". I subscribe to the "Jonathan Creek: The Problem at Gallows Gate" solution where a guy plans his own faked suicide by jumping off a balcony. If you don't know what this entailed, watch the episode; Jonathan Creek is a great show anyway.

My only problem with this solution is that in TRF we actually see a flash of Sherlock hitting the ground, which is not the case in Gallows Gate. So that's the only thing for me that is cause for uncertainty.

August 28, 2012 10:39 am  #412

Lupin wrote:

.................. people find facts to suit theories rather than theories to suit facts. ..................

I love that line!!

Yes well as the Boss reported, Moftiss have said its something simple that even someone watching for the first time may see. No slow mo, no rewinds, no close ups.

This means one things people..... BACK TO THE DVD!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 28, 2012 10:51 am  #413

kazza474 wrote:

Yes well as the Boss reported, Moftiss have said its something simple that even someone watching for the first time may see. No slow mo, no rewinds, no close ups.

That might just be what is causing the problem... the fans have all seen the episode way too many times, from too many angles - they hardly remember what they saw the first time round.
Maybe we should all get an "outsider" to watch the scenes just once, and then discuss their theories rather than ours?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

August 28, 2012 10:53 am  #414

hypergreenfrog wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

That might just be what is causing the problem... the fans have all seen the episode way too many times, from too many angles - they hardly remember what they saw the first time round.
Maybe we should all get an "outsider" to watch the scenes just once, and then discuss their theories rather than ours?

Actually I am planning on having it on while I knit. I watch but always have a few numbers running around in my head so I can't "think too deeply' doing that. AND I have deliberately NOT watched them for some time now.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 29, 2012 11:38 pm  #415

Just thought this was cute.. a recent BC interview:

"Are you surprised by the stir Sherlock’s ‘death’ caused at the end of the last series?

The level of obsession with it was nuts. When I read that in the script I got the biggest kick of my life. I remember ringing Martin and going, “Oh my f*cking God. Have you read this?

Will we find out how Holmes did it?

Of course you’ll find out. But not now....

Can we run some theories by you?

You can, but it will be such a waste of your breath.

Right, so was it all to do with Sherlock’s homeless network?

Yes, all the homeless people in London caught me [laughs]. They formed a human mattress and it was lovely. It was like getting the bumps on your birthday, I didn’t feel a thing. Seriously though, I did that jump. I was on a wire and went off the edge of the building. I was jumping off about three metres into a bunch of cardboard boxes with only a railing separating me from the real drop. We did it about two or three times in the rain with people filming opposite, and it was f*cking amazing. I’ve skydived three times and it was nearly as thrilling. I even did a sky dive while I was in New Zealand, which I shouldn’t be telling anyone, but there you go."

August 30, 2012 6:07 am  #416

The human mattress theory isn't more outlandish than some others I've read. And it sounds much cosier.  And we know that he likes his dangerous hobbies.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2012 4:45 am  #417

I still wonder if you could have theories where there are people doing something out of the ordinary in the open. Anyone walking by St. James could see the human mattress. Newspapers reported Sherlock's death. It's much bigger than John being fooled for a nation to believe Sherlock is dead. Anyone in the vicinity of the hospital could have testified to saying, "No, he landed in a bunch of people who formed a net. I don't know why they're declaring him dead."

Yes, Watson couldn't see for a few seconds, but it's not Watson's testimony that confirms Holmes' death.

Last edited by Lupin (September 2, 2012 4:46 am)

September 2, 2012 3:15 pm  #418

Agreed, Lupin. But what theories does that leave? 

September 2, 2012 4:57 pm  #419

@Arya: In my opinion, this reduces the scope of theories to those that have someone or something falling off the hospital and hitting the ground. Any trick is then what's done after the body/object hits, since a crowd immediately surrounds it.

Last edited by Lupin (September 2, 2012 4:59 pm)

September 2, 2012 5:01 pm  #420

Or what happens to the body inbetween falling off the roof and hitting the floor. No-one is looking up expecting to see a body falling down (except John and Sherlock made him stay put).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera