BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2012 5:58 pm  #221

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

ok.  no DALLAS  repeats  on SHERLOCK.   Moftiss is too smart for that.   But,  I still think the dummy was used,  somehow.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 11, 2012 5:59 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 13, 2012 2:58 am  #222

sherlockskitty wrote:

....And,  how did Sherlock KNOW  what was in those gifts,  without even opening them?

Sherlock's not actually clairvoyant. He's just written that way. bwahahahaha  But srsly, those opening scenes of TRF were all played for comedy. I think John's lines were priceless. "Say thank you," and "Shhhh!" and "Just get it over with." ha

June 13, 2012 3:32 am  #223

Like most I don't presume to have this worked out but here are my thoughts.

Sherlock knew Moriarty's end game was to have Sherlock off himself.

It played into Sherlock's plans to fake bis death anyway to be able to get out of the media spotlight and to work in sleuth to round up Moriarty's network.

Mycroft is in on this and helped to set Moriarty up.

The clue about Sherlock doing one thing out of the ordinary and out if character was his asking Moriarty to step back and give Sherlock a few moments alone at edge of roof. Sherlock is not one to say his prayers and pay last respects. He did that to get Moriarty off edge of roof so  he could not see Sherlock land.

Not sure if Sherlock landed on sidewalk area or truck. But he had to have landed on circus type netting to cushion his fall. A soft mat on sidewalk would have killed him. So if it was sidewalk there would had to be an opening below to allow the deflection of netting. If it was truck, the truck could have had a false top with netting underneath. However since the distance from building is so far the angle would have been prohibitive so I am guessing that either people in truck came out with a net or a net was cantilevered off truck towards sidewalk. After he landed Sherlock laid in ground with ball under arm to deter his pulse and a woozy Watson was kept at bay by medical staff .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 14, 2012 10:13 am  #224

Sammy wrote:

Uh, I think at some point we ought to make a big summary of all the theories.

We have a volunteer from the audience...

But yeah, maybe some kind of list...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 14, 2012 10:40 am  #225

Do you think Moffat and Gatiss scan these message boards and laugh at us with glee because we are the hard core fans and even as such we are all so far off track? God I hope so

June 14, 2012 10:43 am  #226

I think they've been sent more than enough theories online that they don't need to go searching for more.

And I would hope they spent their time on more fruitful pursuits ...... like script writing.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 12:58 pm  #227

Sssshhhh!.......I think I can hear them from here!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 14, 2012 7:44 pm  #228

Ok, this probably has been mentioned here before and I apologize in advance, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

In the beginning of the episode we see the dummie hanging from the ceiling at Sherlock's apartment. Do you think he used this a la "Buster" in MythBusters to determine where it would fall when thrown from the hospital roof? I mean if it was Sherlock's weight and everything, so he knew the place it would hit the ground so he could use this information to fake his death? If not, how do you think he used it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 14, 2012 8:11 pm  #229

Hi IndigN1,
I favour the idea that he used the American who dared to harm Mrs Hudson for this very purpose - several times  . Much more realistic than a dummy 

June 15, 2012 8:07 pm  #230

My new 'theory' is theoretical only and I have no idea how it could be accomplished. As such I would deserve no credit if it happens. I just keep thinking to the title of the show The Reichenbach Fall.  Maybe it is a play on words, not a fall from the roof but a fall from grace indicating we are all wrong and misdirected to think he fell. What if somehow it is a magic trick and the SHerlock we see jump is really not on roof and is just some sort of hologram projection or reflection of his actual live or prerecorded "jump" taken from a more safe less fatal location. Maybe he always planned to subdue Moriarty, sneak down and make this happen from some other vantage point. Or just press a button to activate the prerecording on his phone like Moriarty did. How I do not know. Maybe it originates from truck below.

June 15, 2012 8:53 pm  #231

I have just rewatched TRF for... I don't really know how many times now, sorry. One thing that still bothers me is how the sniper that was following John didn't see what Sherlock did? I mean, when we see him pointing to John, it looks as if he has a good view of the pavement in which Sherlock fell 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 15, 2012 9:01 pm  #232

I've been thinking too. What if Sherlock swung into an open window on a floor below or onto something  strung out from a lower floor, but obscured by the building in front, and then a body, ready prepared as it were ,was dragged from the laundry truck onto the ground? It is the man in the grey coat who is first on the scene and he points upwards to indicate that is where the 'person' came from. We are watching Sherlock falling but , apart from John, no one else realises anyone is jumping, so why would they look up? They would take it as gospel that what the man in grey says is true.

Just thinking.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 16, 2012 12:47 am  #233

My God we are all bloody brilliant. Sorry for my fake Brit speak .

June 21, 2012 3:32 pm  #234

What if.....What if MOLLY  was Moriarty  in  disguise up there on the rooftop? And,  no,  she didn't  'die'  she just made it look like that.   Moriarty was killed elsewhere and elsewhen before hand.   And the dummy  was used as Sherlock  falling,  but then how can a dummy  move and flail his arms and legs like that?   Oh  hurry  up  and air the show,  Moftiss,  Please?   the suspense is driving me bonkers!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 22, 2012 11:50 am  #235

Some of the things which haven't been answered are,
What about the Camera in 221B??
What bout the Assassins living across 221B??
And many more I don't care to remember..

But Whatever it is, it has to be very Simple..

The garbage truck could be there just by chance, Jim is dead (he shot himself, lets accept that), the cyclist could have knocked Watson just by accident and so on..

Jim says that Sherlock expects everything to be complicated.. i.e He doesn't expect things to be simple. We too don't expect it to be simple. It could just be that the things just are what they are shown to be.

June 23, 2012 4:23 pm  #236

An interesting thought has crossed my mind. It's not fully formed, but I will post the outline for now.
As much as it annoys people, I will first refer back to the canon.

Holmes & Moriarty struggle at the top of the Falls & supposedly tumble to their deaths. Of course we find out later that Holmes faked it but at the time, everyone felt he had gone over with Moriarty.

Now back to Sherlock.
Was it in fact Sherlock's plan to fall withMoriarty? The fall to be broken at the bottom & Moriarty captured & taken away for Sherlock's own interrogation process.
This would explain how he would be sure Moriarty would not see any plans going on down below. Sherlock would 'get ready to jump' the first time, as we see & then stop & have the 'I don't have to die' speech, thus walking away from the side once he saw things were set up below. His plan was then to grapple with Moriarty & render him helpless (maybe knocking him out?) & 'falling' with him in his grasp.

When Moriarty suicided, that threw the plans out. "Do I jump with a dead man now? Do I leave him here to be found & I take the blame?" Quite a quandary.
Later, keeping John back from the scene is self explanatory.
And the people below?
One  explanation could be: ' we're making a movie here, can you all act natural' & a few 'actors' would take key roles.

Still sketchy but working on it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 23, 2012 4:37 pm  #237

I think you might have something there. The other thing that keeps nagging at me about the rooftop scene is that part where Sherlock grabs Jim and holds him over the edge. This is when he tells Jim he is insane and Jim replies querying 'you've only just realised that'. What was the point of grabbing him? What was the point of holding him backwards over the edge? The other thing is that Jim says 'Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!' so clearly he is shocked by Sherlock doing that. So Sherlock deduces what from this incident? I cannot but think that this was a calculated action by Sherlock so it must have had a purpose.

Ideas?

June 23, 2012 5:06 pm  #238

Yes I always thought he grabbed him  that way to keep him from looking over the side.

There are other 'good points' for this but it's late & too much going on in my head to post them too coherently lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 23, 2012 5:21 pm  #239

So things I want to look for will be any indication that 2 bodies were expected to fall, eg a 2nd stretcher anywhere? I don't think there is but worth a peek I guess.
And I don't think Sherlock was expecting John back to be honest. So the bike rider could either be a 'lucky accident' or someone set to keep an eye on things from below.
And I wish I could remember the other 'good part' about this idea lol

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 26, 2012 7:09 am  #240

I think it was the homeless network... obviously the guy on the bike purposefully knocked John over hard enough to have him dazed for a bit... and then all those doctors... Am I the only one who thinks those doctors looked like homeless street kids? lol I would never look at the people who put him on the stretcher and wheeled him away were actualy affiliated with a hospital lol

My money is on Sherlock doesn't usually sit around playing with rubber balls. Maybe he stopped his pulse using that rubber ball then was wheeled away by his homeless network before his pulse came back. It's totally doable. Magicians do it all the time. Why else would writers put an unnecessary rubber ball into a scene? Then he needed Molly to help with covering his tracks as far as the body goes. It wouldn't be hard. Presumably he did the same thing when he saved Irene.

I guess that's as good a theory as any

Last edited by VivaCohen (June 26, 2012 7:11 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn!" - Jack Kerouac

Board footera