BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2016 6:37 pm  #1481

Re: sherlock series 4 (spoilers inside)

That's a very good catch! That's such an interesting choice of translation! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 13, 2016 6:53 pm  #1482

That is interesting indeed....
I read two theories on tumblr: that it's a sort of code word, which is not ruled out by that. If this happens in Sherlock's MP maybe he has a revelation there about living by his feelings.
The second theory takes the I love you together with Molly's picture and had the idea that Molly is in deathly peril, maybe Sherlock is kind of forced to listen to her being seriously harmed and those words are some kind of final gift for her.
What do you think?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 13, 2016 6:58 pm  #1483

I would go for the revelation. Since John and Mycroft are probably not really there, he might indeed be talking to himself. The shot is very similar to the moment in TGG when he realises about the Van Buren Supernova with John, Greg, and Mrs Wenceslas in the background. 
I absolutely do not believe the Molly theory. There has been no indication whatsoever over 10 episodes that Sherlock has any romantic feelings for her. And she knows it. Do you think she would be happy to hear a lie in that situation? 

The big thing about the words is that Sherlock says them at all. And I am very sure that they are directed at John, possibly in his mind or within the frame of a deduction. And I think we will hear them not just this once but either from Sherlock himself or from John. He could for all the we know be quoting John who has said this to him. But I do not believe that anyone but John is meant here. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 13, 2016 6:59 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 13, 2016 7:17 pm  #1484

Mary Watson - from strong woman to shark: 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 13, 2016 7:22 pm  #1485

Again that makes me think of deeper connection between Mary and Magnussen... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 13, 2016 7:23 pm  #1486

I do not quite see them giving it away in a trailer if the "I love you" was meant as the actual declaration form Sherlock to John (that is not to say it could not happen at another point, but if it does, I do not think that it will be the moment shown to us now). My gut feeling tells me that the part we are shown is taken out of context and does not mean what we think it does, but that is not to say that the word will not play a significant part in the grand scheme of it all

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

December 13, 2016 8:20 pm  #1487

I feel the same ... there's something off about is a traditional love declaration.  It seems much more sinister. 

As far as the translation goes, I do think the BBC want us to think it's romantic love ... we shall see.  (I don't know Spanish, but presumably translating it as platonic love would lessen the impact).  If it's romantic, it kind of rules out Mycroft and John, if we believe Moftiss that John and Sherlock are not going to get together (although not getting together does still leave some room for unconsummated love).   I think the chance is fairly tiny that it will happen.  It also possibly rules out other family members (Sherrinford?).

I find it difficult to see a romance with Molly, although as with John, I wouldn't 100% rule it out.   I don't get that sort of vibe from their relationship.  I think Sherlock cares for Molly, but it's platonic - she's not the one to break through his barrier.  She would fit well with the "story we've been telling from the beginning" as she was the first person we saw Sherlock with, but she doesn't fit in the sense of actually showing that story - we haven't seen a romantic relationship develop. 

But there is that sinister feeling - maybe somebody he's trying to protect, or somebody he's trying to manipulate even, or somebody manipulating him.   I even wondered about Moriarty - is that what TFP is? (I have some thoughts along those lines either with Moriarty being an aspect of Sherlock, or with Moriarty being alive).   I have even been wondering about Mary - I know we didn't see much of her post-Ep1, but I wonder if they've been keeping her hidden and she really is the Big Bad?  Not that I see Sherlock having romantic feelings for her either.  It could be a villain or victim as yet unknown.

I'm still not sure exactly what we're seeing there - whether he has his back to a mirror or is standing in front of smoked glass or neither.   And I still wonder about it being a code.  He doesn't seem to be talking directly to either John or Mycroft there, so is it somebody outside the room? 

Still hoping it isn't MP.

And yes, Phantom and Susi, remember Mark's tweets to Amanda about sharks?  Very curious!

Last edited by Liberty (December 13, 2016 8:22 pm)

December 13, 2016 8:24 pm  #1488

Moriatry being the addressee of the three words would make a twisted kind of sense.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 13, 2016 8:49 pm  #1489

It would, wouldn't it?

I also initially wondered if Culverton's "I'd like to hear you say it" is linked to "I love you", but I think it's the wrong episode.

Anyway, look at this http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2017/02/sherlock"...the powerful and seemingly unassailable Culverton Smith - a man with a very dark secret indeed.".  Maybe we've been interpreting that clip ("What's the worst thing you can do to your friends?  Tell them your darkest secret") in the trailer all wrong?  Maybe Culverton is talking about himself?

December 13, 2016 9:40 pm  #1490

mrshouse wrote:

That is interesting indeed....
I read two theories on tumblr: that it's a sort of code word, which is not ruled out by that. If this happens in Sherlock's MP maybe he has a revelation there about living by his feelings.
The second theory takes the I love you together with Molly's picture and had the idea that Molly is in deathly peril, maybe Sherlock is kind of forced to listen to her being seriously harmed and those words are some kind of final gift for her.
What do you think?

I have a crack theory that Sherlock, John and Mycroft are trapped within some devilish device (huge hydraulic press?) in this scene. Sherrinford, Sherlock´s bad twin trapped them there and they can only be released if they guess the code word from the safety door correctly.
Before they are squashed to death, Sherlock correctly deduces that the code word is "I love you". Sherrinford set it up that way believing that neither Mycroft nor Sherlock would ever say that word to him.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 13, 2016 9:45 pm  #1491

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 13, 2016 9:56 pm  #1492

No, this was a misinterpretation as far as I know. It will be PG as usual. 

December 13, 2016 10:11 pm  #1493

Also in the US? (I haven't had a good look at the listings as they still makes me a bit angry... ) the US as far as I know can be a bit more strict 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 13, 2016 10:53 pm  #1494

It was a mistake.
Buy I did get my evil little hopes up for a moment.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 13, 2016 11:03 pm  #1495

Me too! Damn.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 14, 2016 5:04 am  #1496

tonnaree wrote:

It was a mistake.
Buy I did get my evil little hopes up for a moment.  

Why am I not surprised...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 14, 2016 8:03 am  #1497

Ha ha, Tonnaree! I know you weren't hoping for extra violence and bad language! 

I do think they keep Sherlock fairly tame - it's kind of adult but borders on family viewing.  Although a bit of steaminess would still fit with that!

December 14, 2016 12:39 pm  #1498

And so it begins:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 14, 2016 12:44 pm  #1499

Lucky bastard!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 14, 2016 12:45 pm  #1500

Only 18 days now. I´m starting to feel actual dread.

Board footera