BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2016 10:32 am  #1421

Re: sherlock series 4 (spoilers inside)

It's on the Telegraph website too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/12/revealed-mystery-sherlock-baby-name/ , so I think it's official.  I'll see if I can get hold of a paper copy today to make sure.   But yes, the date is odd.   We think we know that Mary was pregnant on the 25th and also right up until the end of TAB (whatever date that was).   Or was she?  Now it could be that they just wanted to make the announcement a good while before the first episode airs, but why would they mess up the dates like that? 

If Mary had secretly delivered and was wearing a false bump at Christmas, then there wouldn't be a happy announcement on the 12th, would there? 

It's interesting that the baby has been given Mary's fake name as a middle name - I'm surprised at that.   I wonder if Rosamund is the R in AGRA?

Last edited by Liberty (December 12, 2016 10:37 am)

December 12, 2016 10:45 am  #1422

Rosamund MARY Watson?

"No, Sherlock, we will not name our daughter after you... I will honour your murderer by naming my baby after her instead!"

BLEH!

Last edited by nakahara (December 12, 2016 10:46 am)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 12, 2016 11:37 am  #1423

That is... I don't even know.

Rosamund is a pretty name... but... yeah.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 12, 2016 12:21 pm  #1424

Really, John must be the first parent to name his child after the FAKE identity.
(shakes head in disbelief)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 12, 2016 12:22 pm  #1425

The fact that something is in the papers does not necessarily mean it is real. If we have learned one thing from the show, then it should be this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 12, 2016 12:33 pm  #1426

Fairy tales... Rosamund would fit well in a Grimm story 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 12, 2016 12:34 pm  #1427

LOL, yes, the newspapers are quite like fairy-tales nowadays.
It´s true that the birth dates are very bizarre here. Mary was heavily pregnant in HLV and TAB (in January) and yet she gives birth in December?

December 12, 2016 12:45 pm  #1428

Note to self:  Remember to call your doctor and have him up your anxiety meds before Christmas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 12, 2016 1:42 pm  #1429

The math of this confuses me (dyscalculic)

But I can see it is off. 

Again... with the maths... but it doesn't even fit with the gestation of an elephant, sadly. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 12, 2016 1:44 pm  #1430

I did have a look at an actual paper Telegraph when I was out shopping earlier, and can confirm that this announcement is published in it.   So it's very public news now.  

I was tempted to buy it because I wondered if there were any other clues hidden there, and it seemed a coincidence that the death next to it was "Leinster" (I was thinking Leinster Gardens).  But I looked into that death and it seems that the person did sadly pass away, and the announcement is genuine.   I feel a little bad for treating the announcements as a puzzle, so I'm posting this in case anybody else ends up doing the same thing! 

December 12, 2016 1:48 pm  #1431

Thank you for checking, Liberty! 

But evil me had another spontaneous thought: 

"I read it in the paper, so it must be true. I love newspapers. Fairytales."

Or:

"Proof? What would I need proof for? I’m in news, you moron. I don’t have to prove it – I just have to print it."

This is how the show usually deals with things that appear in the news. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 12, 2016 1:49 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 12, 2016 1:59 pm  #1432

Yes, I was thinking along those lines too.  Now I do think the baby's real (not 100% certain, of course, but if I had to put money on it either way, I'd go for real).  But I have also suspected that they might be doing something interesting with meshing fact and fiction, real life and TV.   There may be more to this than a simple little bit of publicity for the show. 

The other thing that struck me, is that printing in The Telegraph is a little odd.  We know that Mary's a Guardian reader (unless she's actually a guardian - I don't think that's ever been clarified).   For those outside the UK, the Guardian is left-wing paper, whereas the Telegraph is more of a right-wing, establishment paper. 

The other thing that's odd, is that you'd think the last thing Mary would do is seek publicity.  In her position, I'd want to be hiding my family away from the public eye.   So it's strange to announce the birth and possibly have a flashy christening as well (mind you, I thought the wedding was odd for the same reasons).   If Rosamund is actually the R in AGRA, which I suspect although I have no good reason to apart from liking the symmetry of the real name balancing out the fake one, it's even more foolhardy!

December 12, 2016 2:02 pm  #1433

Yes, I agree. And I also thought of this - remember the setlock incident in April when someone spotted the call sheet with the baby's name on it? And they made quite a fuss telling people not to spread it? So if it was THIS name what could have been so spoilery or damning? Why were we not allowed to know then and now they put it in the paper? 

December 12, 2016 2:04 pm  #1434

Unless it was a 'legal' thing that had been agreed with the Telegraph a while back? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 12, 2016 2:19 pm  #1435

This might be possible. 

December 12, 2016 2:45 pm  #1436

nakahara wrote:

LOL, yes, the newspapers are quite like fairy-tales nowadays.
It´s true that the birth dates are very bizarre here. Mary was heavily pregnant in HLV and TAB (in January) and yet she gives birth in December?

The thing about the dates is only bizarre if the reconciliation scene in HLV has been real and not MP...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 12, 2016 2:57 pm  #1437

Lol, have you seen this happy family pic? The lovely colours, the caring mother holding her, both parents looking proudly at their child … cough. 

December 12, 2016 3:00 pm  #1438

This is scary. For many reasons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 12, 2016 3:03 pm  #1439

Yes. And can we please appreciate their thrift? Mary wearing one and the same blouse for the whole of S4? Doing promo, giving birth, taking a walk with the dog, filming at NGS, always in the same costume? Wow. 

December 12, 2016 3:09 pm  #1440

No, this is even better. Mary has become a placeholder for Sherlock. John is wearing the same shirt as in the promo pic with Sherlock. Mary is wearing either Sherlock's jacket or one that looks exactly the same. They have become exchangeable. 

Board footera