BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2016 8:14 pm  #921

Re: sherlock series 4 (spoilers inside)

Yes and it was a major theme in that film. Famously.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

July 31, 2016 8:30 pm  #922

Oh, I remember that film!  I didn't think of that connection at all!  A hint that Mycroft is being stalked, or that he's a stalker?

July 31, 2016 8:35 pm  #923

I would think Mary is the obvious one being stalked...I hope.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 31, 2016 8:40 pm  #924

Liberty wrote:

Oh, I remember that film!  I didn't think of that connection at all!  A hint that Mycroft is being stalked, or that he's a stalker?

Well the film put the song to no1 for 6 weeks. It was used during the love scene at the beginning iconically and then after all the knife and blood stuff. I remember MG talking about this film somewhere I think.
But I guess it's the sleep with a obsessive fan who then goes crazy story.
Which is interesting as Moriarty was a fan of SH.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

July 31, 2016 8:41 pm  #925

Oof! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 31, 2016 8:46 pm  #926

besleybean wrote:

I would think Mary is the obvious one being stalked...I hope.

Actually. I could see her as the one going knife crazy after she gets dumped.

July 31, 2016 8:47 pm  #927

I don't think anybody is going to dump her.

July 31, 2016 8:50 pm  #928

But why Mycroft (not Moriarty)?  If you're right about the connection being the film, this could be something big and a major clue. 

July 31, 2016 8:53 pm  #929

The pic of the ring from her past she twittered did seem to indicate some sort of past love affair.

July 31, 2016 8:55 pm  #930

How so?

July 31, 2016 9:01 pm  #931

Because Mary seems to always wear that ring on her other hand . So she is sentimental about it. So maybe family gave it her but more likely a ex .

July 31, 2016 9:02 pm  #932

Is it normal to keep an ex's ring?(I wouldn't know!)
Could the ring be from Mycroft?

July 31, 2016 9:08 pm  #933

Maybe. That would be  .

But if there is a stalker fan thing I think more likely Moriarty? He has been watching Sherlock since he was a kid. When he made the blind woman say I like to watch you dance and we discovered Sherlock loves dancing I immediately thought - oh actual dancing then.
Maybe Moriary is Mycroft. Who knows. 

July 31, 2016 9:11 pm  #934

And I'd always headcanoned Mycroft as gay!  But I suppose we don't know. It doesn't ring true to me, but ... Mycroft also wears a rather mysterious ring, possibly suggesting a previous liaison.  Or what about Mycroft/Moriarty, but Moriarty is now stalking the younger brother?  (I'm not so keen on that as weren't both Moriarty and Sherlock very young in the Carl Powers days?).

Edit:crossposted - I was still talking about a Mycroft/Mary liaison.

Last edited by Liberty (July 31, 2016 9:12 pm)

July 31, 2016 9:14 pm  #935

They were, not that I think that makes a difference...
No I tend to think the ring things are linking Mary and Mycroft, through their work, somehow...or do they share a parent?  I dunno.

July 31, 2016 9:24 pm  #936

Circling back round to Mary = Sherrinford.  How am I going to hold out for the next few months without getting answers?  I feel like I'm going round in circles in a maze!

July 31, 2016 9:25 pm  #937

Exciting though and I'm still buzzing about the trailer.

August 2, 2016 6:41 pm  #938

I can't see this interview posted: http://collider.com/benedict-cumberbatch-steven-moffat-sherlock-season-4-interview/

Some interesting stuff there, particularly more detail on Toby's character:

How different would you say Toby Jones’ villain is from the villains and adversaries we’ve seen previously?

MOFFAT: He’s completely different. It’s a completely different character. He’s the darkest villain we’ve had. There was always something charming and engaging about Moriarty. There was something fascinating and actually amoral, rather than immoral, about Charles Augustus Magnussen. This guy is the purest evil. Sherlock is actually appalled by him. He’s the most evil villain we’ve had. I don’t think that when you see it, you will disagree. He’s horrific.

GATISS: It’s an interesting thing to chart. We made our Moriarty very different to Doyle’s. He’s Irish, and he brings all his charm, his twinkle and his humor to it while he’s also terrifying. Magnussen was a very blank, chilling business man. He doesn’t see what he’s doing as evil. Toby is doing something very interesting. She’s an avuncular, funny seeming man with terrible teeth. We’ve given him terrible teeth, which are symbolic of the rot inside him. It’s a great complex, shaded character. You’re not quite sure what the relationship is with him.

I also feel it kind of confirms that Moriarty is dead ... although could be trying not to give too much of the plot away.  But seeing Moriarty in the trailer makes me feel that it's not so likely that there'll be a big reveal that he's alive.   (Although, I'm still pondering over TAB proving that he could have faked his death!). 

Why is Moriarty someone who’s still weighing on Sherlock, even though he’s no longer there?

CUMBERBATCH: I think it’s the first time he really meets his match, and it’s scarred him. It’s a nemesis, and nemeses play large in your psychology. They’re not just physical entities who are actually present. It’s about the fear of them. And I think that’s why Moriarty really succeeds. He’s terrorized Sherlock’s mind. It’s fear that lives on.

Last edited by Liberty (August 2, 2016 6:50 pm)

August 2, 2016 6:44 pm  #939

Having just seen Toby in The Secret Agent, I can't wait to see him in Sherlock!

August 2, 2016 6:46 pm  #940

Thank you for the link, Liberty! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera