BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2015 7:04 am  #101

Re: Golden Globes 2015

There´ll always be (jealous) people who envy the attention he gets or disapprove of his personality and/or PR-strategy.. you just can´t avoid negative comments, criticism or even hate when you rise. I´m certain he can handle it, and the overall feelings towards him are very positive! 

January 14, 2015 7:11 am  #102

About the photobombing: I can't be sure of course, but I think the photobomb at the GG was staged. I don't think it was as spontaneous as at the Oscars last year. Back then he got a lot of positive attention for his U2 photobomb and people thought it being really funny. So I suppose, the creators of the GG show thought it be a nice idea that he made it again.
But I share your worries. I don't want Benedict to be Hollywood's party clown. He is a serious actor and should be recognized for that not for photobombing his (supposed to be more serious) collagues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 14, 2015 7:27 am  #103

I think he is recognised for his work, this was just a bit of fun.
Try not to worry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2015 7:50 am  #104

Yes, everyone with half a brain who sees his work is bound to acknowledge his talent, whether he was goofy at a party or not.. and well quite frankly, that´s just how he is, do you really want him to act all serious and predictable just to fit in with his (boring) colleagues..? There will be negative press and misunderstandings of his personality anyway, so why not just have fun and be yourself on the way? 

Last edited by Zatoichi (January 14, 2015 7:55 am)

January 14, 2015 8:08 am  #105

That's not what I mean. Of course should he stay honest to himself. That is out of question. I am just afraid that he might get pigeonholded by others. "We need someone who does something funny." "Let's get Cumberbatch." That would not be fair to his talent. But maybe I am worrying to mutch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 14, 2015 8:20 am  #106

Well, on the other hand Benedict gets a lot of criticism for very innocent things (like photobombing...) while other actors surprisinlgly get away with far more serious "offences". (Who remembers Reese Waterspoon lying to the policemen that she is pregnant when she was stopped with her husband for driving being drunk?).

And as for the campaign, I am not a great fan of Weinstain, but B. hasn't done a lot of campaigning and schmoozing himself. The Theory of Everything and Eddie Redmayne are far worse. ER is a perfectly lovable guy but "love story in Cambridge" had been pushed down our throats for months now. And yes, B. has been a bit repetitive, but he talks about Turing, not himself and only we (most devoted fans) watch all junket interviews - as Solar System said.

Also, in recent group interviews Benedict has been very discreet, never seeking attention for himself, at most asking intelligent questions to other actors.

January 14, 2015 9:53 am  #107

miriel68 wrote:

Also, in recent group interviews Benedict has been very discreet, never seeking attention for himself, at most asking intelligent questions to other actors.

Public perception can be interesting though, and I'm not saying that he should change or do things differently because of what the public or colleagues or the media might say. But this video might be a good example for something that could make people go "Oh, look at him, always wants to be in the centre of things and steals the show":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxuQrQsUXeo

It's Allen who starts to give an interview, and then Benedict sort of... takes over. All in a friendly manner, and they clearly are friends, but let's face it: Allen probably had a lot more to say. I actually felt a bit sorry for him (and there's probably no need for that at all), because the moment Benedict appeared more or less everything was about him. I would call it a bit... unfortunate.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 14, 2015 9:57 am  #108

Well, Solar, the exact same happened with Ben. He was answering to a question about theatre, giving a rather serious answer, when he was photobombed by a goofy colleague. It's the kind of thing they do.

And I agree when it comes to it being repetitive - yes, I've heard what he has to say about Turing so much that I could probably do the interview for him, but that is because I am the one watching all his interviews. It has nothing to do with him, but with me. Most people won't obsess like I do, and will only watch his interview once or twice.

Also, it's a common thing with any celeb that they get asked the same boring questions over and over again. So they have to repeat the same answer again and again. That also has to do with unimaginative journalists.

I guess that when you get an A-lister, negativity is bound to happen. Not everbody will like you, that's just how it is. That doesn't even just go for celebs, in everyday life someone out there don't like you, and there are you people you don't like. Facts of life. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 10:44 am  #109

I agree with you, SolarSystem, that it is not his fault the whole thing with the interviews was blown out of proportion like this, but he should probably learn to say no to stuff like staged photobombing or celebrity impressions or whatever. I can´t imagine Martin Freeman would have a problem to do that and it has not done his career any harm.
The Allen Leech interview really made me cringe. That was unfortunate and he seemed really tired and frankly a little tipsy.
I hope after all the madness of the awards season he steps back from the crazy limelight and stays with his family, marries without telling the date to any outsiders and continues with his work. And there is no need to hype Hamlet in advance. The tickets are sold anyway, so simply do it and let the people decide if they like it or not. But that`s probably all easier said than done in his situation...

January 14, 2015 10:45 am  #110

Well, when an actor signs up to do a movie, him doing PR for that movie is included in the contract. So they are contracted to do these interviews, it's not always because they want to be that much in the limelight themselves. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 11:03 am  #111

I know that, but in my opinion it would be better to at least try and avoid the stuff that can be avoided.

January 14, 2015 11:04 am  #112

We don't know how many interviews and PR performances he has declined. He needs to be out there while he is still a "hot potato". That is how the business works, I see nothing wrong with that. 

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 11:17 am  #113

If you wrap up the potato it might stay hot for a bit longer.
I really have no idea how to behave yourself properly in the situation he is in, this is just my feeling created by the things that I see through the media.

January 14, 2015 11:20 am  #114

I think he has some good and experiences agents and advisors around him that helps him out with these sort of things.

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 6:55 pm  #115

The cumbercupcake for every occasion, this time: The Golden Globes

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 14, 2015 7:08 pm  #116

Lovely, as always.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 14, 2015 7:15 pm  #117

Yay!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2015 8:11 pm  #118

So cute!

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 8:29 pm  #119

Those cupcakes are the sweetest thin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2015 8:14 am  #120

TwoSouls wrote:

The Allen Leech interview really made me cringe. That was unfortunate and he seemed really tired and frankly a little tipsy.

Granted, it was a little awkward (you can see Karon practically pushed him towards Allan), but he himself acknoledged that he "crashed" his interview and it was just a semi-informal backstage chat. Also, not something that is B. trademark.

It was far more cringeworthy when a journalist cut B. in half sentence during GG red carpet interview just when he was complimenting Selma, to go for a stupid tequila joke with Clooney.

Board footera