BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2015 4:45 pm  #21

Re: Golden Globes 2015

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I will cross my fingers! 

Usually almost everything ends up on Youtube... so lets hope! I was honestly a bit shocked to find out they were showing it here, even if it's a few days later. But I can live with that!

Yes parts of it, but I want to see the whole show.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 11, 2015 4:46 pm  #22

Darn, would be great fun to watch it live.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 11, 2015 4:54 pm  #23

It really would! I remember watching the Oscars live last year... oh gosh! And he wasn't even nominated. 
What wasn't fun though was having to be at the jobcenter all day with 30 minutes of sleep and hopped up on energy drinks! 
(to find out I didn't have to show up that day...)

I actually just went shopping for watching this on Tuesday... got myself some nice snacks and pink lemonade to have in a neat glass. 
Ah, the life of a fangirl! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 11, 2015 5:42 pm  #24

Well I used to recorded it (so I could watch it fast forward mode for the boring parts ) but since it is not any longer on FreeTV in Germany. 

----------

January 12, 2015 12:44 am  #25

I'm watching the NBC Golden Globes preview show, and although they had an interview with Benedict they never got to ask him about Sophie or the Cumberbaby or even what he was wearing--Matt Lauer asked him about Turing and Benedict used up his whole segment and then some. Ha!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 12, 2015 4:13 am  #26

Ah, well. Benedict did not win, nor did the film pick up any other awards (unless I missed something, which is always possible). But Sophie looked lovely, and Benedict had one of the funniest moments of the night: See the video at Time Magazine.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 12, 2015 4:26 am  #27

Also loved presenter Colin Firth's comment about Benedict.

And (although staged) the end of the Tina Fey/Amy Poehler opening monologue,   where they ask
for a volunteer  from the audience via a show of hands to co-present the first award of the evening
with Jennifer Anisten-,   they point to the Ben/Sophie/Imitation Game table and call out 'Cumberbatch!'

January 12, 2015 4:32 am  #28

Also good to see the 'Fargo' wins for best series and BB Thornton,  though too bad nominee Martin wasn't with that group to celebrate.

January 12, 2015 7:41 am  #29

He lost against Eddie Redmayne, I can live with that. (Although he was also a brilliant Stephen Hawking!)

Last edited by Ivy (January 12, 2015 8:13 am)

----------

January 12, 2015 7:47 am  #30

Well, I cannot .
I mean, of course ER is a brilliant actor and he is very good as Hawking, but the film itself is just bleh. The only thing critics are able to gush about is how well R. imitates the real Hawking. But I am also very disappointing for the score and the screenplay - TIG definitely deserved those. But then they also awarded AA for the second year in row - and for Big Eyes which is the most flat and boring film Tim Burton ever made.

Last edited by miriel68 (January 12, 2015 7:48 am)

January 12, 2015 7:58 am  #31

It is a pity that Benedict hadn't won, but the Globe for Eddie Redmayne is very deserved as he did a stunning performance in Theory of Everything (though the film itself was a bit boring IMO).
I haven't seen Boyhood yet but the critics were almost exceptionless positive and it is a fascinating project, so I suppose the Globes are very well earned as well.
I am happy that Billy Bob Thornton won. I loved his performance in Fargo. Pity that he and Martin were both nominated in the same categorie.

By the way, did you noticed how shy Benedict looked when Gwyneth Paltrow read the nominees and his name was mentioned? That was rather cute 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 12, 2015 8:35 am  #32

Tbh, I am a bit disappointed. Five nominations and not a single award. I do not want to lessen Eddie Redmayne's performance but they went for the more obvious choice and a film about someone who is well-known and firmly established in people's minds. Someone who is still alive and can be observed and maybe even interviewed by the actor while Benedict had only hearsay and pictures to go and yet managed to make Turing come to life. 
It is always difficult to compare performances but if you set Benedict's Turing off against, say, Colin Firth's King George which won him no less than seven major awards … well. 

And congrats to BB Thornton, I was stunned by his performance in "Fargo". Sorry, Martin. 
Btw - Martin was not there, was he? 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 12, 2015 8:36 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 12, 2015 9:22 am  #33

I first though, weird trousers, but that's Meryls scarf

Last edited by Ivy (January 12, 2015 9:25 am)

----------

January 12, 2015 9:26 am  #34

Wonderful photographs. And Ben and his photobombs!
Look at his devilish little plotting face before he jumps:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 12, 2015 9:34 am  #35

----------

January 12, 2015 9:35 am  #36

SusiGo wrote:

Tbh, I am a bit disappointed. Five nominations and not a single award. I do not want to lessen Eddie Redmayne's performance but they went for the more obvious choice and a film about someone who is well-known and firmly established in people's minds. Someone who is still alive and can be observed and maybe even interviewed by the actor while Benedict had only hearsay and pictures to go and yet managed to make Turing come to life. 
It is always difficult to compare performances but if you set Benedict's Turing off against, say, Colin Firth's King George which won him no less than seven major awards … well. 

Oh yes, Susi, I feel the same. Seems to me that they only honoured the more physical performance. Eddie Redmayne certainly did a very good job, but ...
Compared to the performance of Colin Firth ... I can't see what made him better than Benedict this time.

And the pics, Benedict and his "faked" fiancé  ...
And the two other pics, just

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 12, 2015 10:18 am  #37

Well, I definitely agree with what was said about the score and the screenplay. Especially when it comes to the score... when I watched "The Theory of Everything" and then later listened to the score again, I was just bored out of my mind. I think it's a very conventional score and you could use that music for almost every other period drama like "Sense & Sensibility" and the like. Really not very inventive, if you ask me. But then Desplat wasn't even nominated for a BAFTA recently, so that really makes you think anyway...
Can't say anything about the screenplay really, because I haven't seen "Birdman" yet. But I suspect it might be deserved. Although I agree that TIG's screenplay is quite a masterpiece. How those three different times of Alan's life are interwoven is just brilliant.

As for Benedict and Eddie... let's just hope that Benedict knows exactly what such awards actually mean and how much they are worth and how much they're saying about the quality of your work. Next to nothing, if you ask me. Of course I would have been thrilled for him if he'd won, and it's always fun to watch award shows and to have someone to root for. But I have to admit that I almost anticipated Eddie and Michael Keaton to get a GG. Eddie, because his performance is very physical and very in-your-face (and I don't mean this in a negative way, believe me) and just hard to ignore. You'd have to be blind to miss how good he is - and yes, I really think he is good. And that makes him the obvious choice, at least in the Hollywood universe. And Michael Keaton is someone the audience and the critics just have to love, especially in the US, I think. Because this role is a huge comeback for him, and from what I've seen he seems to be fantastic in that role - a role which also seems to be more spectacular than Benedict's Alan. You have to look a bit closer to realise what Benedict has achieved in TIG... and I think for some people that's just too much effort.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 12, 2015 10:31 am  #38

I think Ben is genuinely for Eddie, when you watch interviews with them they always praise each other.

But of course it's sad that TIG won nothing.
This Thursday the Oscar nominations will be announced. We will see.

@Solar: I agree, Michael Keaton is one of these comeback actors (nothing against him or Birdman) like Jeff Bridges some years ago.

----------

January 12, 2015 11:21 am  #39

Source:deareje.tumblr.com

Last edited by Ivy (January 12, 2015 11:22 am)

----------

January 12, 2015 11:29 am  #40

Aw, lovely pics of him with the champagne. 

Isn't usually a thing that the winners of Golden Globe will usually win Oscars? So if TIG won nothing at GG, they probably won't win anything at Oscar's either?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera