BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2012 6:50 am  #41

Re: Asking Molly for help

Hi guys...

I wouldn't really describe Sherlock as lonely. He has coped perfectly well on his own for many years, and he only started looking for a flatmate because he couldn't afford Mrs Hudson's rent without another person to share the costs. I can understand though, that meeting John and actually making a friend has started to change his outlook slightly, but let's not sentimentalise him too much. He's not going to come back in Series 3 and start being all mushy and lovey dovey.

He always uses manipulations with Molly because he knows she has a soft spot for him and is therefore so easy to manipulate, although I do think when he said "you've always counted" was pretty genuine, but I don't think their relationship will develop much further in Series 3. There will always be this unspoken thing between them because they both know what went on and how Molly helped him, but Sherlock will continue to mercilessly mock her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 7, 2012 12:39 pm  #42

I do hope it will be more of a gentle teasing!
I also think Sherlock was harsh with her, because he was trying to rebuff her advances.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 3:10 pm  #43

Sherlock is harsh with everyone. I think Molly gets more than her share just  because she's there, and, in fact, puts herself in position for his remarks.

Ick, if Sherlock came back all mushy and lovey-dovey, I'd stop watching!

October 7, 2012 3:13 pm  #44

Well I don't expect Sherlock to lose his sparkling wit, or to suddenly tolerate fools.
But I do hope he becomes a little more patient with us mere mortals!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 3:33 pm  #45

Just the tiniest bit.

December 31, 2012 11:29 am  #46

Sorry for not being able to (in my short week of fandom) exhaustively study all theories regarding Molly.  I will try to catch up.

However, a few things occurred to me:

1)  When Molly says, "I don't count," Sherlock looks surprised.  He could feel a bit of guilt, but he could also be processing the possibility of her usefulness.  Given that he's recognizing his friends are his weakness against Moriarty.  Molly can be very useful to him if Moriarty doesn't process that she matters.  Ah, here is a potential ally and tool.

2)  On the roof, Sherlock gives good space between his speaking, and waits for a response from Moriarty between names.

S:  John?
M:  Everyone.
S:  Mrs. Hudson
M:  Everyone.
S:  Lestrade?  (Pause)
M:  Three gunmen, three bullets.

Moriarty CONFIRMS for Sherlock that the number is three.  Had Moriarty said "Everyone" after Lestrade, I suspect that Sherlock might have named Molly to see if she is #4. 

There were three IOU signs.  Sherlock has deduced John, Mrs. Hudson, and Lestrade (based on the locations of the graffiti).  Molly says she doesn't count, and Sherlock is hoping that she has flown under Moriarty's radar as a friend.  On the roof, he speaks in just such a way to confirm that fact - there are only three.

Molly can help him, and he can maybe pull off the jump without M's knowing it's faked.

That's my theory.

Fillyjonk

Check my Tumblr for a musical tribute to Sherlock's devotion during series 3.
http://imtooticky.tumblr.com

December 31, 2012 11:43 am  #47

I genuinely think Sherlock is brought up short by Molly's I don't count comment, which could be on a number of levels/for a number of reasons:  possibly he's impressed by her candor...well in acknowledging he's not interested in her.  But I believe he's always seen her as a valuable colleague and mainly is surprised that doesn't signify with her.
I think you may be right on no 2.  Molly is Sherlock's secret weapon, Moriarty confirms to Sherlock that he does not realise her significance.
I had never really thought of Sherlock having deduced the 3 targets...hmm, so much to look forward to next season

January 1, 2013 11:25 pm  #48

veecee wrote:

Sherlock is harsh with everyone. I think Molly gets more than her share just  because she's there, and, in fact, puts herself in position for his remarks.

Ick, if Sherlock came back all mushy and lovey-dovey, I'd stop watching!

If Sherlock came back all mushy and lovey-dovey, I'd try to figure out what he was really after.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

January 1, 2013 11:26 pm  #49

Can't see this happening.

Board footera