BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2014 12:11 pm  #21

Re: Christmas traditions

Harriet wrote:

nakahara wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Well we know Benedict celebrated Christmas in the most traditional way possible...
He was photographed in Church with Sophie in Edinburgh.

Wow, that´s nice. It seems he really respects traditions.

It could also mean that Sophie or/and he enjoy going to church.

Yes, that´s possible. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 26, 2014 1:37 pm  #22

Benedict had previously said he's not Christian.
So I'm personally hoping they were both there just for Sophie's Mum.
I suppose Sophie could be Christian.
I'm hoping it doesn't mean Benedict's converted.

Last edited by besleybean (December 26, 2014 1:40 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 26, 2014 1:45 pm  #23

I don't think he does things just for tradition or to please others, he's too independent and intelligent.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 26, 2014 1:48 pm  #24

So what's our explanation then?
I know he's read at carol services etc, but that's kind of work.
This was an actual service, so he wasn't just visiting the church...
Why else would a non Christian be there?

Last edited by besleybean (December 26, 2014 1:51 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 26, 2014 2:14 pm  #25

I am a non-Christian (atheist) but as someone who came from a Christian background I wouldn't think twice about attending a church service out of respect for the people in my family who were devout if they asked me to.  It wouldn't affect my personal beliefs in the least.  No conversion necessary.

I'm not saying this fits with what we are discussing with BC, but it could explain things.

When I do attend something like this I just let my thoughts go to a positive place during the service.  I'm not in opposition to people who have faith, I just have a different way of viewing the world and as long as they respect my values then I will respect their's.

Perhaps it is similar with BC (if he is indeed not a Christian).

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 26, 2014 2:44 pm  #26

I don't know about UK, but in Norway going to church on the 24th is a tradition for many families. So people who aren't Christian and who never attend church any other time during the year, will do so during Christmas.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 26, 2014 6:27 pm  #27

Maybe he quite likes the songs?

(Tim Minchin quote from White Wine in the Sun - atheist and oddly moving Christmas song).

December 26, 2014 6:39 pm  #28

Yeah but wouldn't you normally go to  a carol service for that, not Xmas morning communion?
Having said that, I have no idea what denomination of church it was.
If Church of Scotland, goodness knows what weird practices they have- tee hee.

December 26, 2014 6:43 pm  #29

If you want your belief respected, it would be nice if you respected others' as well.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 26, 2014 6:46 pm  #30

Excuse me?
I respect freedom of worship, thank you very much.
That was a little joke.
As I am an adopted Scot, I am fully aware of the Kirk as my national church and I am free to make that joke.

Last edited by besleybean (December 26, 2014 6:47 pm)

December 26, 2014 7:06 pm  #31

Liberty - lovely song.  Thanks for posting it.  He certainly touches on a number of things that I can connect with.

I love many Christmas carols (some more than others... Silent Night and Oh Come All Ye Faithful are among my favs).  Handel's Messiah is one of my favourite pieces of music of all time and to me is an extraordinary piece of devotional music.  In our country it is a traditional piece of Christmas music and I would go anywhere to listen to it.  It in fact, there are some non-Christmas church songs that move me too (not in a religious way but as a human being enjoying the music and intensity felt by those who wrote the accompanying words). 

I also love just going into various churches for the beautiful architecture in the same way I loved visiting Shinto shrines or Buddhist temples when I was in Japan.  Any place that was built with true passion is a place worth exploring when you are expanding your experiences. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

December 26, 2014 7:09 pm  #32

Handel is exquisite.  
I also always visit religious buildings...but one can't really do this when a service is on!

December 26, 2014 7:19 pm  #33

Oh, Handel's Messiah is one of my favourites too!   I've been to live performances around Christmas and never fail to be moved by it.  And the fact that it is in English (the only language I can speak fluently, I'm ashamed to say) - I love how the music so exactly fits the words!  

December 26, 2014 7:20 pm  #34

Ah, so good to see other Handel admirers!!

Actually in the past few years I have slipped in to a number of churches when the services were in progress (very unobtrusively and extremely quietly I might add).  In Bayeux France we sat through about half the service that was being held in the lovely Cathedral there (lured there by the rain and the sound of the choir singing).  And the last time we were in Notre Dame there was a service in progress as well.  Magnificent!  We left at an appropriate break in the serrvice again very quietly. 

The service in the Dresden Frauenkirche was lovely too but really, really crowded!

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (December 26, 2014 7:21 pm)

-Benedict Cumberbatch

December 26, 2014 7:59 pm  #35

My son lived in Dresden for a year, I visited both cathedrals.
I've visted Notre Dame, too.
I've twice been stopped from entering UK churches when there was a service in progress...so maybe it's just the Brits who are a bit snooty!

Last edited by besleybean (December 26, 2014 7:59 pm)

December 27, 2014 4:32 pm  #36

I've been inside churches in Europe when services were on without a problem.

I think that going to church for the traditional Christmas service with carols and lessons on Christmas Eve, and especially 'midnight mass' on Christmas Eve is quite popular even with people who are not religious the rest of the year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 27, 2014 4:36 pm  #37

Forgot to mention entirely is that often people with kids will put out a plate with mince pie/s, carrot/s and a drink (usually alcoholic) next to the fireplace for Santa and his reindeer on Christmas Eve. Needless to say you can probably guess who eats the mincepie/s and drinks the drink!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 27, 2014 4:56 pm  #38

Funny, we put out carrots for Saint Nicolas' horse in November. 

December 27, 2014 6:25 pm  #39

Benedict read a story in that church... I posted a link in the 'Lets talk about Benedict' thread... 

I don't care what he does and doesn't believe in... I am an atheist and a big one but I can still apreciate being in a church on Christmas eve...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 27, 2014 6:32 pm  #40

I hadn't realised he'd read.
Maybe he was practising in the picture I saw.

Just checked.
Phantom, that link was for a different occasion

Last edited by besleybean (December 27, 2014 6:35 pm)

Board footera