BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2012 10:42 pm  #41

Re: Looking Sad

Sherlock knew from the beginning that Moriarty would come after him, and was setting plans in motion to draw him out etc...but I don't think he knew the full extent of what was going to happen. He didn't know he would have to "kill himself" until the moment outside Kitty's flat when he's pacing up and down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 23, 2012 10:44 pm  #42

This.  Just THIS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 22, 2013 11:48 pm  #43

kazza474 wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Does Sherlock really look sad when he thinks John can't see him? And if so...why???

No he doesn't look sad. He looks deep in thought.
He's already decided that he will need to fake his death; he is trying to sum up the impact on John, possibly deciding whether to let John in on the plan.
Molly mistakes the looks for sadness. I would say it was more of a case of mixed feelings.
When Molly says she's getting something to eat & does he want anything, I think he was going ask her then about her helping him with the plan but decided to wait to see how things panned out.

Sadness isn't a useful emotion; you cannot change what will be. In its place Sherlock has thoughts of how to 'right wrongs'.

I think he was already planning his fake death, and didn't want John to know about it, let's face it, John's just not that good an actor (remember all that business with telling Sherlock that Irene had 'died'). I also find it funny that John never finds out about this IOU thing, which led me to believe that maybe IOU is something to do with medicine. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

January 23, 2013 12:17 am  #44

{I am a Rock, I am an island.
And a Rock feels no pain...}
Good now that Paul Simon song is stuck in my head!

I've watched it twice now and I can't decide. I'm torn between a saddness that he knows he's going to hurt someone (he knows the whole thing ends in the death of one of them--Moriarty or himself) and perhaps a bit of excitement (?) Though I'm not sure.

However, I totally believe that Molly saw "something" even if we as viewers or she standing next to him can't really tell exactly what that "something" may be.

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 23, 2013 7:08 am  #45

It is exactly as Molly says.
Sherlock's look reminds her of that of her dying father's.
So she knows something is wrong, related to death and she knows Sherlock is upset about John...like her father would have been over his family.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2013 5:55 pm  #46

besleybean wrote:

It is exactly as Molly says.
Sherlock's look reminds her of that of her dying father's.
So she knows something is wrong, related to death and she knows Sherlock is upset about John...like her father would have been over his family.

I agree with you, Besley.  Molly is a perceptive young lady and because of her crush and unrequited feelings for Sherlock, and because she sees him at the morgue and lab frequently and watches him closely, she would be very tuned in and observant of his every mood and gesture.  She observes in him exactly what she observed in her dying father - the hiding of his deepest thoughts and feelings in order to spare those closest to him. I don't think she has misread this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera