BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2014 2:59 pm  #61

Re: Martin will be hosting Saturday Night Live on Dec. 13

A lovely light wrote:

I come from a country where "feck off" is really nothing in comparation with what you can say in a vulgar way. Especially when is said tongue in cheek, like Martin said it here. I also have no problem with innuendo jokes like those from Amanda and Simon. Perhaps this is way i can discuss more with man than with woman. I also know that there are people who makes jokes or are sarcastic in a way i don't get - but i don't pretend that they have to make the jokes and be like i want them to be and behave. 

I have no problem with the persons who are not interested in the projects Martin gets involved, if you have read exactly what i have written. I also have no problem how much attention Benedict gets here or anywhere, why should I? But with those who comes here only to be negative and only to nit-pick at everything and blow everything out of proportion (like those commenting Martin to be jealous for example, if this comment is not negative and out-of-order, is what?). 

Well, i see we are quite not on the same lenght here, i don't want to disturb anymore and anyone. Enjoy the fandom in the way it suits you, i am quite put off from it at the moment. Yes, i saw also those comments about the "fake" engagement and that put me off too a lot, like A LOT. But at least they were not here on this forum, so i could enjoy his part of the forum. 

I was looking for a clever fandom, which can enjoy different perspectives and don't take everything and themselves seriously. I still like and have fun with some aspects, i can laugh a lot about funny and silly things, even when they involve things interpreted in a way i don't interpret (like diverse shippings or metas). But at the end of the day, i come here for the fun, not to be upset. Which more and more is happening for me in this fandom - be here, twitter or tumblr or random places, so i get very much why both Gatiss and Freeman said about "it used to be fun, not it gets too seriously and political" - because is true, it gets too intensive to be fun.

Is your problem how supportive you can be toward the actors of the show or toward different projects - for example it didn't escape my attention that i was the only one on this forum happy that Amanda won an award. But if you project negativity, you will put off other fans, so think about it. If you want to be a small happy family or a big happy family here is up to you. 

In my mother tongue, the equivalent of "feck you" is very rude and no one in their right mind would use it during the live interview, promoting their new movie.

I don´t undestand. If it is OK for Martin Freeman and Amanda Abbington to sprout such language, why is it a problem when other people criticise it? Insulting someone is acceptable, calling people on their not that shining behaviour is a taboo?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 15, 2014 3:23 pm  #62

A lovely light wrote:

I find these comments here very under the belt, the hate towards Amanda as well.

Dear Lovely Light,
where exactly did you find hate here on the forum? I always feel that even we all don't agree on everything from time to time, discussions are always hold in a moderate way.

(BTW, Compared to what is going on out there, on tumblr and twitter and the like, the forum is like a pony yard for unicorns, with rainbows and fairies and stuff.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 15, 2014 3:42 pm  #63

As a mod I am quite shocked to read this accusation, a lovely light. I always try to avoid personal attacks between members or the actors, writers, etc. This is a place where people come to discuss things, sometimes in a passionate or even heated way, but not under the belt. And compared to what is happening on other sites we have quite a tolerant and friendly atmosphere. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2014 3:42 pm  #64

Schmiezi wrote:

A lovely light wrote:

I find these comments here very under the belt, the hate towards Amanda as well.

Dear Lovely Light,
where exactly did you find hate here on the forum? I always feel that even we all don't agree on everything from time to time, discussions are always hold in a moderate way.

(BTW, Compared to what is going on out there, on tumblr and twitter and the like, the forum is like a pony yard for unicorns, with rainbows and fairies and stuff.)

We need a gif for that to add to our header.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 15, 2014 5:30 pm  #65

I love the Twitter meme: well: that escalated quickly...
Ok I'm still working on trying to get the facts on this...but I am fairly certain there will be no real animosity between our boys.

Last edited by besleybean (December 15, 2014 5:31 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 15, 2014 5:43 pm  #66

besleybean wrote:

I am fairly certain there will be no real animosity between our boys.

ITA!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 15, 2014 5:51 pm  #67

Well my Twitter source thinks definitely no rift!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 15, 2014 6:24 pm  #68

I hope so, besley. 

I also want to apologise for kinda bringing this topic up and inadvertedly "poisoning" the atmosphere on the forum with it. I did not realise this would be such a sensitive topic for some mebers.

I just wanted to know if there´s something serious happening that could have impact on the show. But it does not look as anything that serious, so hopefully, it wouldn´t. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 15, 2014 6:26 pm  #69

I think this should be discussed just as much as other Sherlock-stuff. It's good to have a place where we can talk about worries like this.

besleybean - what is your twitter friend basing that conclusion on?

Last edited by Vhanja (December 15, 2014 6:27 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 6:35 pm  #70

I agree. As long as the discussion stays matter-of-fact and polite which it did IMO there is no need to hold back and no reason to apologise. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2014 6:42 pm  #71

as i've already said, I've seen more hate and bashing on another forum for not appreciating this forum as the safe heaven it is

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

December 15, 2014 6:43 pm  #72

Thank you, Titania, this is good to hear. 

December 15, 2014 6:49 pm  #73

Huh?
Anyhow....that's how Martin operates.
Nobody see or remember the Q&A( at the beginning  of this year?)
Benedict spent ages giving a long, thoughtful and considered response to a  fan question about getting into the profession.
As soon as he finished and Martin was asked, he basically said something like: everything Benedict just said is absolute bollocks.
Everybody laughed...most of all Benedict!

Last edited by besleybean (December 15, 2014 6:49 pm)

December 15, 2014 7:07 pm  #74

besleybean wrote:

Huh?
Anyhow....that's how Martin operates.
Nobody see or remember the Q&A( at the beginning  of this year?)
Benedict spent ages giving a long, thoughtful and considered response to a  fan question about getting into the profession.
As soon as he finished and Martin was asked, he basically said something like: everything Benedict just said is absolute bollocks.
Everybody laughed...most of all Benedict!

(And after everyone laughed, he said that he agreed with everything that Benedict just said--but only after he got his laugh! )

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 15, 2014 7:08 pm  #75

REReader wrote:

(And after everyone laughed, he said that he agreed with everything that Benedict just said--but only after he got his laugh! )

And this time he said "Next question". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 7:16 pm  #76

My personal view is that he really wanted to tell the interviewer to go f... herself, but knew he couldn't get away with it.
So I think it was a classic case of deflection!

Last edited by besleybean (December 15, 2014 7:16 pm)

December 15, 2014 7:20 pm  #77

You have no idea what I would give to sit down with Martin, a couple of pints, and have a really good BS session.

I like to think I could hold my own with him in the Sass department. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 15, 2014 7:25 pm  #78

I would like to join you!

December 15, 2014 7:27 pm  #79

Ohoho! Go tonnaree and besley! 

December 15, 2014 7:44 pm  #80

Dear Martin Freeman,

I hearby challange you to a SassOff.
You may choose the date and time as I know you're scheudle is rather full.
However I would like the compitition to take place in Trafalger Square.
Loser will be required to stand in the center of Piccadilly Circus at high noon on the day after the compitition wearing nothing but a Bee suit and proclaim for all to hear that the winner is the World's SassMaster.
Please send me your acknowledgement as soon as possible.

Thank you,
tonnaree

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera