BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2014 12:07 pm  #41

Re: Martin will be hosting Saturday Night Live on Dec. 13

Wow, nice to see so much positive posts here. I thought this forum was to share the love for the series Sherlock and the like for the work that the actors done. Not to get hyper on any commentary the actors done in their entire life. I don't care what the relationship between Martin and Benedict is, i care about the result of their work, which is outstanding. 

I find these comments here very under the belt, the hate towards Amanda as well. We absolutly don't know how they get along and how much are they friends. 

And yes, if delaying comes from Benedict's work, i understand why the other actors might be pissed a little, they have schedules too, even when they are not so high profiles (do not forget that Martin put Sherlock above the massive Hobbit and Peter Jackson made it work around Sherlock not the other way round!). 

At the end of the day, from all fans and journalist is a litlle bit too much to expect from Martin to be happy by being asked in interviews about HIS work about Benedict and that every time Martin is near Benedict to forget everybody else. He is a star in his own right, he doesn't need to speak about Benedict to have to fill an interview. 

That in SNL he doesn't speak about Sherlock might have many reason: he was there to promote Hobbit and perhaps he was bound tospeak only about this project and closed other projects. Or NBC didn't want to make promotion for a show who is not on their schedule but on a concurent one. Or maybe, Martin takes so serious Sherlock that he didn't want to make fun of it, because we know in which direction would have a sketch about Sherlock go, isn't it? And we have saw how serious is Martin about Sherlock in the outtakes...

I wanted to have on this forum fun and meet people happy to be in this fandom. I certainly donÄt want to be in a fandom who is soo petty and look at every piece  of photo or interview as if the end of the world comes and everybody who doesn't make Sherlock and the way the fandom choose to act as the priority no 1 of their life is pushed awayor spoken in such words as on tumblr or in this thread.....

I am a little bit disspointed right now from how the fandom has reacted. This was a huge oportunity for Martin to make a name in America in his own right not in the shadow of someone else  or using the celebrity of someone else to push himself. I thought poeple here would be happy that he gets also a chance to shine. Well, i was wrong. 

December 15, 2014 12:18 pm  #42

I haven't seen any hate towards Martin myself. I've seen confusion, and people thinking it wasn't the best thing to do. But never seen anything that you refer to. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 12:25 pm  #43

I said hate towards Amanda not towards Martin. I speak towards the critic, the harsh critic MArtin gets on this very thread, tumblr etc. This is not confusion. Everything that the actors of this show (beside Benedict) do which is not on the like and how the fandom imagine the things should be, gets very harsh criticised. That hets in my nerves, really, i have never seen such a negative fandom.  I coudn't understand till now why some people can be put off Sherlock or Benedict, as the first is an outstanding show and the second is such a good actor, but now i can see it. Putting such pressure and expectation on the shoulders of the actors and producing team won't make Sherlock a good place to work and be.  Bringing such negativity and such bashing. 

December 15, 2014 12:30 pm  #44

You have probably seen more than I have, because I have seen very little negativity from the fandom. Then again, I have just recently gotten into it, so I don't know what has happened before.

I think criticism and negativity is found in every fandom. There is a saying: "I am the biggest fan - no one hates this as much as I do!". 

I am not hating on anyone, and I wish Martin all the success he can get. It's more than due and he deserves it so much. Only one I'm "hating" on is the stupid journalists - they are the one destroying this, I think. I feel sorry for them both when it comes to how much crap they have to smile and be polite about from the media.

I have to admit, though, telling Benedict to go feck himself isn't the wisest thing Martin has done. I do agree that it's not our business how their relationship are, but I fear that if there IS some kind of rift, that can affect the quality of Sherlock in the future. After all, their friendship and chemistry is one of the things that make them such great Sherlock and John.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 12:36 pm  #45

Do you know? I see such a good will for Andrew Scott or other small character actors projects and such a joy that they get that and i see this not with Martin on this forum. I don't know why, i am not for long here, but it is very clear to me. It makes one think that people fear that Martin could get too big for Sherlock or could be more appreciated than Benecict? No idea, why, because , really, this won't happen. Benedict is massive, so why people cannot be supportive for Martin, i don't know. 

December 15, 2014 12:40 pm  #46

I registerd on this forum last week, so I can't really say too much. I have of course noticed that Benedict get lot more dicussed and appreciated than Martin here, but that's how it is. I think Martin is just as awesome as Benedict, they just have different qualities. Unfortunately, the charismatic and handsome qualities of Benedict makes him more popular than Martin, that's how it goes. But as actors I think they are just as good, only different.

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 12:45 pm  #47

A lovely light, personally, I see no bashing in this debate - I just saw the video yesterday and wanted to know, what is going on. Can´t do that without discussing it here (I´m not on any social sites).

People didn´t object to Martin´s ability as an actor or about his person, only about an uneccessary vulgarity he and Amanda Abbington engage in from time to time. I don´t think it´s bashing if people want to point it out. I also don´t think it´s the end of the world if Martin and Amanda do it, althrough I personally find it a bit off putting.

Some people would make a problem out of absolutely everything on Tumblr, because they just can´t manage the long hiatus in a more positive way. It can´t be helped - those people should only be ignored, if you want to avoid their negativity.

Also, Benedict and his fiancee currently face much worse bashing than Martin Freeman from some crazy fans on Tumbrl. Don´t be under an illusion that he has it easy out there - it´s not true.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 15, 2014 12:47 pm  #48

nakahara wrote:

Also, Benedict and his fiancee currently face much worse bashing than Martin Freeman from some crazy fans on Tumbrl. Don´t be under an illusion that he has it easy out there - it´s not true.

Yes, I just discovered today that some people think the engagement is a fake, and that Benedict only did it to create PR around himself before the Oscars.

What's wrong with people?!

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 12:49 pm  #49

A lovely light wrote:

Do you know? I see such a good will for Andrew Scott or other small character actors projects and such a joy that they get that and i see this not with Martin on this forum. I don't know why, i am not for long here, but it is very clear to me. It makes one think that people fear that Martin could get too big for Sherlock or could be more appreciated than Benecict? No idea, why, because , really, this won't happen. Benedict is massive, so why people cannot be supportive for Martin, i don't know. 

People who love Martin and find interesting information about his projects definitely should share their knowledge here and post it. But if they don´t do it, why accuse other people of not discussing it here?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 15, 2014 1:05 pm  #50

This is Martin Freeman, the man who said "F*** you, I won a BAFTA."  

I know that  some people find this word terribly offensive but it just doesn't bother me.  And it's often used in a humorous way, a way of taking the piss.  My husband and I will toss it at each other.  For us it's banter.  I do understand that a lot of people don't feel it's appropriate but persoanally I would be honored if I had the chance for Martin Freeman to tell me to go F**** myself. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 15, 2014 1:07 pm  #51

tonnaree wrote:

This is Martin Freeman, the man who said "F*** you, I won a BAFTA."  

I know that  some people find this word terribly offensive but it just doesn't bother me.  And it's often used in a humorous way, a way of taking the piss.  My husband and I will toss it at each other.  For us it's banter.  I do understand that a lot of people don't feel it's appropriate but persoanally I would be honored if I had the chance for Martin Freeman to tell me to go F**** myself. 

I know, I've seen several interviews with him where his sassy as heck. Including the BAFTA-comment (which was hilarious). I don't find the word offensive in itself, but there was just something off in that video. With the BAFTA-comment, and in other interviews, it was very clear that he was joking. This video seemed to me a bit ambigious. 

I do hope, though, that if he honestly wanted Benedict to go feck himself, he wouldn't say it in an interview like that.

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 1:08 pm  #52

nakahara wrote:

A lovely light wrote:

People who love Martin and find interesting information about his projects definitely should share their knowledge here and post it. But if they don´t do it, why accuse other people of not discussing it here?

Exactly. I like Martin very much and love his Watson, but further than that I'm not all that interested in him as an actor. I'm sure he has been and will be in some very interesting projects, I definitely want to see "Fargo" eventually, although that's not really because of Martin but because I absolutely loved the movie by the Coen Brothers. Having Martin in the series is a nice bonus. 
But that's just how it goes, there are thousands of actors out there I'm not interested in, either. Just because I love "Sherlock" doesn't mean I have to love all the actors who are in it comparably. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 15, 2014 1:18 pm  #53

IIRC, I saw that video, and it just made me laugh, there was nothing there to be offended at. I have a brother, after all, and he has friends, and they have a way of talking to and about each other that fits this sort of pattern.

As to any sketches or monologues on SNL--I haven't seen it, but you do all realize Martin didn't write his own material there, right? I'm not even sure he'd have veto rights over any lines he didn't like.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 15, 2014 1:51 pm  #54

We´ve been a bit OOc with this in this thread so let´s go back to its content.
A scetch from SNL hosting Martin, which mixes Hobbit and The Office.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/hobbit-office/2834501

The humour in the sketch is not my cup of tea, but I still chuckled a bit.

December 15, 2014 1:52 pm  #55

December 15, 2014 1:53 pm  #56

I've seen the Hobbit/Office one and loved it. Especially since I've just recently watched The Office, so I recognized the style immediately.

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 2:05 pm  #57

This scene where Martin was goofing with the host, Kate McKinnon, was quite cute:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl-host-martin-freeman-and-kate-mckinnon-have-a-tea-party/2833378?onid=157106#vc157106=1

Last edited by nakahara (December 15, 2014 2:20 pm)

December 15, 2014 2:15 pm  #58

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 15, 2014 2:27 pm  #59

I come from a country where "feck off" is really nothing in comparation with what you can say in a vulgar way. Especially when is said tongue in cheek, like Martin said it here. I also have no problem with innuendo jokes like those from Amanda and Simon. Perhaps this is way i can discuss more with man than with woman. I also know that there are people who makes jokes or are sarcastic in a way i don't get - but i don't pretend that they have to make the jokes and be like i want them to be and behave. 

I have no problem with the persons who are not interested in the projects Martin gets involved, if you have read exactly what i have written. I also have no problem how much attention Benedict gets here or anywhere, why should I? But with those who comes here only to be negative and only to nit-pick at everything and blow everything out of proportion (like those commenting Martin to be jealous for example, if this comment is not negative and out-of-order, is what?). 

Well, i see we are quite not on the same lenght here, i don't want to disturb anymore and anyone. Enjoy the fandom in the way it suits you, i am quite put off from it at the moment. Yes, i saw also those comments about the "fake" engagement and that put me off too a lot, like A LOT. But at least they were not here on this forum, so i could enjoy his part of the forum. 

I was looking for a clever fandom, which can enjoy different perspectives and don't take everything and themselves seriously. I still like and have fun with some aspects, i can laugh a lot about funny and silly things, even when they involve things interpreted in a way i don't interpret (like diverse shippings or metas). But at the end of the day, i come here for the fun, not to be upset. Which more and more is happening for me in this fandom - be here, twitter or tumblr or random places, so i get very much why both Gatiss and Freeman said about "it used to be fun, not it gets too seriously and political" - because is true, it gets too intensive to be fun.

Is your problem how supportive you can be toward the actors of the show or toward different projects - for example it didn't escape my attention that i was the only one on this forum happy that Amanda won an award. But if you project negativity, you will put off other fans, so think about it. If you want to be a small happy family or a big happy family here is up to you. 

December 15, 2014 2:32 pm  #60

I haven't watched SNL in a long time.  Use to love it but now, meh.  It has always been hit or miss.  For ever Outstanding piece there are several more than fall flat.  I think Martin did a fine job with the material he was given.  Besides, I think he's so awesome I'd watch him flipping pancakes for an hour. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera