BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2014 2:42 am  #1

20 Mind-Blowing Facts You Never Knew about Sherlock

At least, they are things you never knew according to the website What Culture. I didn't know the second half of #8, but (to the extent they are true), I did know the other 19-and-a-half!

Some of the "mind-blowing things" are not precisely accurate going by what I've read elsewhere, but it makes a fun game! ("Knew that. Knew that. Knew that...")

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

November 14, 2014 8:35 pm  #2

Re: 20 Mind-Blowing Facts You Never Knew about Sherlock

Here's one I heard last week on the National Public Radio quiz show in America called "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!"

Q: BBC Sherlock is immensely popular in China.  What are the affectionate nicknames for the two lead characters?
A: Curly Foo and Peanut

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 15, 2014 5:43 pm  #3

Curly Foo and Peanut? OMG that just made my day!

So... who's who? xD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 17, 2014 10:51 pm  #4

I heard of Curly Foo only today, because I read it in the Benedict Cumberbatch Big Issue interview. But I didn't know about Peanut. I understand Curly Foo, because of his hair...but why Peanut???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 17, 2014 11:06 pm  #5

In terms of these "facts"...I didn't know number 19 (the London riots), 16 (Andrew Scott didn't read the books). I didn't know that Blind Banker was the least viewed episode (number 9), but I probably could have guessed considering it's the majority of fans' least favourite. Number 8, I knew that 007 Bond Air etc was a Bond reference (obviously), but I didn't know that it was specifically related to a specific book, I just thought it was a general reference. Number 3 - I only knew there were 17 steps because I am one of these 'very particular' fans, who have paused the DVDs at various moments to count the steps. Yes, I know, that's kind of sad.

As for the one about Steven Moffat not visiting the set...well, that's not actually true. I think it's one of those Moffatisms, things that he says to make him sound more mysterious or whathaveyou. He was there on set when I was there at North Gower Street last year, and I really doubt anything had gone wrong that day. All they were doing was filming Sherlock hailing a cab. He was also there at one of the night shoots.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 17, 2014 11:11 pm  #6

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

In terms of these "facts"...I didn't know number 19 (the London riots), 16 (Andrew Scott didn't read the books). I didn't know that Blind Banker was the least viewed episode (number 9), but I probably could have guessed considering it's the majority of fans' least favourite. Number 8, I knew that 007 Bond Air etc was a Bond reference (obviously), but I didn't know that it was specifically related to a specific book, I just thought it was a general reference. Number 3 - I only knew there were 17 steps because I am one of these 'very particular' fans, who have paused the DVDs at various moments to count the steps. Yes, I know, that's kind of sad.

As for the one about Steven Moffat not visiting the set...well, that's not actually true. I think it's one of those Moffatisms, things that he says to make him sound more mysterious or whathaveyou. He was there on set when I was there at North Gower Street last year, and I really doubt anything had gone wrong that day. All they were doing was filming Sherlock hailing a cab. He was also there at one of the night shoots.

I knew about the 17 steps because it's in ACD, I knew about Curly Foo and Peanut from several articles about the Asian reaction to Sherlock--and the one about Moffat not visiting the set was one of those I figured were "not precisely accurate" based on other things I read, I'm glad to have that confirmed!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

November 18, 2014 6:48 am  #7

Steven always jokes about never being on set.
He is on occasionally but 1. He and Sue sometimes have to take turns in child care,,,(won't happen so much now the boys are a bit older,)
2. He's too busy with another show!
I asume the Peanut is because of Martin being small, smooth, peanut coloured hair, tasty...might cause a shock...it's quite an old-fashioned term to call that kind of hairdo ' peanut'.
What was it about the riots? I knew they had to clear out and some crew stuff got damaged. Benedict famously wasn't there and tried to be very diplomatic, as he knew he would just get criticised for being posh!
You know I just thought it said in one of the dvd extra interviews that Andrew had read the books...maybe he said he was 'aware' of Sherlock Holmes. I know in The Chronicles he said he very deliberately didn't watch any other film/TV Moriartys.

Last edited by besleybean (November 18, 2014 6:48 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 18, 2014 4:54 pm  #8

Some of those mind blowing facts are from interviews and dvd commentaries so it's not as if they're incredibly hard to find. I was surprised about the moffat not being on set, though. I've never been at the filming but fans that do attend film him there all the time. Maybe he referred to the internal shots or, as SH said, exaggarates. 

November 18, 2014 5:15 pm  #9

It's just that Mark is there all the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera