BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2014 7:35 pm  #1

Is the unaired pilot worth watching?

I haven’t seen it yet but I’m curious about how others feel about it. I will say that it is always interesting to watch any unshown pilot of my favorite TV show because it gives you an idea of what it was like when it was just a rough sketch or first draft.

November 11, 2014 7:45 pm  #2

Re: Is the unaired pilot worth watching?

It is interesting precisely because we can see the first ideas that later formed "Sherlock" being born in it.

(And it is also interesting Johnlock-wise. Johnlock is even more explicit here than in the aired evrsion.)

But as a stand-alone story, not so much. Acting, characters, situations and sets were much, much improved in the aired version of "Study in Pink."

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 11, 2014 7:45 pm  #3

I'd say yes.

It is a rather interesting view into what it could have been and has it's own interesting sides... I am glad they changed direction though. But yes, the Pilot is great IMO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 11, 2014 7:47 pm  #4

YES. Unequivocally. The story is similar to ASIP, but condensed. It's neat to see what could have been and what was. The original Baker Street was horrible and, as a woman, I rather more appreciate the look they were going for with Sherlock (more sloppy with skinny jeans) versus what they ended up with.

I prefer the showdown with the cabbie in the unaired pilot, part of which was recycled for ASIB (you'll know what part I mean when you get to it...). Sherlock in the ambulance at the end of ASIP will make a lot more sense if you watch the unaired pilot.

I was hestitant to watch the unaired pilot, but it actually enriched my viewing of the series.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 11, 2014 8:04 pm  #5

I really like it!  It has quite a different look.  Sherlock is younger, paler and prettier.  It also seems a little tighter, maybe because it's shorter.  I prefer the aired episode, but there are some things I like about the unaired one. 

Particularly that Sherlock guesses about the cab driver earlier!  I could never really believe that he wouldn't guess.  

.  The only reason not to watch it is if you don't want to get it mixed up with the aired version.

November 11, 2014 8:35 pm  #6

Watch it. Definitely. I was quite thrilled when I discovered that this pilot exists (and can't quite understand why you haven't watched it yet), and as has already been stated, it's fascinating to see what was already there in that early version, the things they got rid of, the things they kept and the things they added...

...like Mycroft, who didnt exist in the pilot at all.

I'm glad they changed the style and design of the show though. To me the pilot looks as if it was made for a far younger audience... gothic Sherlock and his buddy John - which has its moments, but I like 'our' Sherlock and John better.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 11, 2014 10:29 pm  #7

Liberty wrote:

Particularly that Sherlock guesses about the cab driver earlier!  I could never really believe that he wouldn't guess.  

That part of ASIP has always floored me. My words to the friend who introduced me to the show were something along the lines of, "Okay, this Sherlock Holmes is a complete idiot. Thank goodness for Martin Freeman or I wouldn't be bothered to keep watching."

Mary

November 12, 2014 1:24 pm  #8

Young Sherlock bum in black skinny jeans. 

Do you need another reason?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 12, 2014 1:33 pm  #9

Not really.

But seriously I find it interesting how the series developed from the unaired pilot to ASiP. And to have that comparison you need to watch it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 12, 2014 1:53 pm  #10

tonnaree wrote:

Young Sherlock bum in black skinny jeans. 

Do you need another reason?

Young Sherlock bum in black skinny jeans with a view of his grey pants?

Funny how the Sherlock they ended up with does little for me, but unaired pilot Sherlock makes me a little hot under the collar...

Mary

November 12, 2014 2:07 pm  #11

With me it´s just the opposite.

This Sherlock leaves me absolutely cold, althrought he´s pretty:

This, on the other hand, makes me drool:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 12, 2014 2:19 pm  #12

It's definitely worth watching. Somehow I always tend to take shows for granted, I can't imagine how anything could have been different. But the pilot shows you that Sherlock, Baker Street, etc. really could have been different. And I'm glad that they chose to alter some parts, both storywise and about the look of the show. Especially Sherlock - I really can't understand how someone can like Sherlock in jeans, I really hate it - it draws my attention from the story () and really prefer the very well-dressed Sherlock we know from the "normal" episodes.
But there are some aspects of the pilot that I prefer over the real episode, like

how Sherlock guesses right about the cabbie (heck, he is Sherlock Holmes after all!), him playing drunk and the scene that ended up in ASIB, or the showdown in which the cabbie may be a real threat and that takes place in Baker Street

Last edited by Julia (November 12, 2014 2:19 pm)

I believe in Jim Moriarty

November 12, 2014 2:45 pm  #13

Julia wrote:

Especially Sherlock - I really can't understand how someone can like Sherlock in jeans, I really hate it - it draws my attention from the story

Our Sherlock wound up in the unsexiest jeans imaginable. I'm still trying to figure out what was the point of them. But I digress.

But there are some aspects of the pilot that I prefer over the real episode, like

how Sherlock guesses right about the cabbie

At least, this lack of analytical skill wound up being consistent in all three series. He's just not a big picture kind of guy. He's a good deductor, not a good analyst. Very different set of complementary skills. I'm an analyst and then to crack the cases before Sherlock does, but in a completely different way since I tend not to see the details the way he does.

The one that drives me more nuts than this bit from ASIP is TEH. How can he not see that there is a carriage missing?!

Mary

November 12, 2014 2:57 pm  #14

maryagrawatson wrote:

Julia wrote:

Especially Sherlock - I really can't understand how someone can like Sherlock in jeans, I really hate it - it draws my attention from the story

Our Sherlock wound up in the unsexiest jeans imaginable. I'm still trying to figure out what was the point of them. But I digress.

how Sherlock guesses right about the cabbie

At least, this lack of analytical skill wound up being consistent in all three series. He's just not a big picture kind of guy. He's a good deductor, not a good analyst. Very different set of complementary skills. I'm an analyst and then to crack the cases before Sherlock does, but in a completely different way since I tend not to see the details the way he does.

The one that drives me more nuts than this bit from ASIP is TEH. How can he not see that there is a carriage missing?!

Mary

He still cracked both cases through one evening.
Pretty impressive, if you ask me.

The original SH from "Study in Scarlet" didn´t realise that a person entering his flat in Baker Street 221B in one scene was a man in drag, impersonating the old woman. No such thing happened here and this new Sherlock was never fooled through such a strategy.

November 12, 2014 3:03 pm  #15

nakahara wrote:

He still cracked both cases through one evening.
Pretty impressive, if you ask me.

Indeed! Never said I wasn't impressed. It just took several episodes for me to get a feel for how this Sherlock thinks and solves his crimes. It's just such a labourious process to get there sometimes. Then again, if it wasn't, the show would be much shorter!

Mary

November 12, 2014 3:22 pm  #16

nakahara wrote:

With me it´s just the opposite.

This Sherlock leaves me absolutely cold, althrought he´s pretty:

This, on the other hand, makes me drool:

I would kick neither Sherlock out of my bed for eating crackers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera