BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2014 7:11 pm  #1

Deleted and re-written scenes from the Sherlock Chronicles

In here we can discuss those scenes that have been cut altogether or re-written. They sort of belong to Sherlock Canon and give interesting insights in how the writers conceived and altered scenes from all episodes. 
You can post them as pics or type the text. 

Here is one example which I posted earlier today in the "deleted scene" thread but which actually belongs in here:

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 11, 2014 8:42 pm  #2

Re: Deleted and re-written scenes from the Sherlock Chronicles

I am glad they did not use this scene. Mrs Hudson seems to be way too heartless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 11, 2014 8:48 pm  #3

Interesting about the cigarettes, tho!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 11, 2014 9:56 pm  #4

And the scene above in which Mary is forewarned by John. I think from a dramatic point of view the Leinster Gardens version is much better. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 11, 2014 10:24 pm  #5

Schmiezi wrote:

I am glad they did not use this scene. Mrs Hudson seems to be way too heartless.

The use of Mrs. Hudson as it appears on screen is absolutely perfect, I think. She's up in Sherlock's flat taking care of it and waiting. When her boys arrive, they go right at it with her there. I think that says a lot about their relationship with Mrs. Hudson! Mrs. Hudson is the third person to know about Mary. Not all the details, of course, but enough to show that she's deeply trusted.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 11, 2014 10:28 pm  #6

I agree. The other scene would have been very out of character. And the way they did it Sherlock treats her very rudely but at least I can understand it because of the circumstances. But her just storming out of the room after he says he is dying - never. 

November 11, 2014 10:34 pm  #7

SusiGo wrote:

I agree. The other scene would have been very out of character. And the way they did it Sherlock treats her very rudely but at least I can understand it because of the circumstances.

From a production point of view, that scene was just an excuse to use a famous line from Dr. Who. No idea about that, but I don't watch the show.

From an in-universe standpoint, much as I loathe that line, it makes perfect absolute sense. The episode opens up with Sherlock coming off a heroin high. Hightened agression is a symptom of this, hence his vicious and shocking attack of Mycroft. Now, later in the episode, he's withdrawing from morphine, which is essentially medical grade heroin. Same thing happens, he gets very aggressive and lashes out.

Horrible as the scene is, this is one case of Sherlock being a jerk where he is not to blame because he is absolutely not in control of his emotions or able to think rationally. Mrs. Hudson seems to understand this. She seems more annoyed than hurt.

Mary

November 12, 2014 6:40 am  #8

I just love the commentary on the Baker Street confrontation scene...as Mark/Steven say....everybody else is running about with angst and poor old Mr H is still just bothered about the neighbours!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 15, 2014 2:09 pm  #9

Here is an interesting one from ASiP:

On the one hand this would have been a foreshadowing of Sherlock's fall. 

On the other hand we would have been presented with two men who are associated with/attracted by dangerous situations - John has a gun in his desk drawer, Sherlock is standing on the ledge of a high building - whereas on the other hand there is at least of hint of them being suicidal - a lonely veteran suffering from PTSD with his gun at hand, a man contemplating at least theoretically how he would or would not kill himself and his friend asking at once how he is doing these days. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 15, 2014 2:10 pm)

November 15, 2014 2:58 pm  #10

I have literally just read this!
I am loving this book, but boy it's going to take me a while to complete it,...there is so much in it!
For those wondering, it does largely eclipse the original ' Caesbook'.
I thought it may be a kind of follow on, but it's all encompassing...well up to series 3, of course.

Yes Susi the one thing I took from this deleted scene, was the indication that Lestrade had possibly just resumed his working relationship with Sherlock...maybe after a drug lapse from our man.
I liked this.

Last edited by besleybean (November 15, 2014 3:03 pm)

November 15, 2014 7:27 pm  #11

Wow, that looks great, where can you get that book? 

And may I just point out the extreme obvious: those deleted scenes are really good! 

November 15, 2014 7:34 pm  #12

It is really very well and lovingly done. You can get it from BBC Shop or other online shops.  

November 15, 2014 7:41 pm  #13

This book just gets better.
Blind Banker, my least favourite episode, but the best chapter so far.
The intensive research Steve Thompson did, impressive.
The deleted scene where Sherlock discovers the pin...
The original end of the story, what Sherlock does with the cheque...oh my god that was beautiful.

Last edited by besleybean (November 15, 2014 7:50 pm)

November 15, 2014 7:45 pm  #14

So I will have to read on very quickly. 

November 15, 2014 7:50 pm  #15

I'm up to Great Game...
The technical detail in this book is fabulous

November 15, 2014 9:53 pm  #16

Thanks Susi, I'll have a look. 

I've got the script of TBB. It's the only Sherlock script that exists freely online as far as I know. Can't remember what he did with the check but I loved the way the scene with Sebastian was changed by the actors. They must have had so much fun. Also loved the fact that Steve Thompson announces flashbacks with the highly technical word 'woosh'. 

November 16, 2014 4:23 am  #17

The deleted scene between Sherlock and Lestrade in ASIP is pure Batman! I can totally visualize Commissioner Gordon and Batman in Lestrade and Sherlock's roles, both in the tone and dialogue as well as in the visual imagery.

I need to find that TBB script! And I think I'm the only one who loves that episode. It's my third favourite after HLV and ASIP.

Mary

November 16, 2014 5:46 am  #18

I have to have this!  Thanks for the sneak peaks!

November 16, 2014 7:30 am  #19

I think TBB banker script is on Sherlockology, Mary.  It used to be. 

November 16, 2014 1:46 pm  #20

Liberty wrote:

I think TBB banker script is on Sherlockology, Mary.  It used to be. 

Found it, thank you!!! It's wonderful! I love seeing what changed and didn't and how certain scenes were actedj with very little description in the script (eg. Sherlock in Soo-Lin's flat).

BTW, it's John who donates the cheque, not Sherlock. Makes more sense.

Mary

Board footera