BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2014 11:48 am  #1

What is your favourite series overall?

Mine is Series 2, although it was quite difficult to choose because one of my favourite episodes is in Series 1 and another of my favourite episodes is in Series 3. Series 2 will always have a special place in my heart though, because it was the one I saw first, and that momentuous moment in my life when I discovered BBC Sherlock! 

What is your favourite series overall?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 9, 2014 1:08 pm  #2

Re: What is your favourite series overall?

My favorite is Series 1, because I love the beginning of the friendship between Sherlock and Watson so much. The first both episodes of Series 2 are wonderful, but, I can´t really say why, I don´t like the one with Moriarty although it contenets beautyful scenes at all.

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 9, 2014 1:54 pm  #3

The first one is superb as it does a great job at introducing the characters and the general concept. However, to me, the show reached its peak in Series 2 by giving us stunning episodes like "A Scandal in Belgravia" and "The Reichenbach Fall." So my choice is the second.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (November 9, 2014 2:02 pm)

November 9, 2014 1:56 pm  #4

Same here, Boss! Love at first sight 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 9, 2014 2:13 pm  #5

I thought that was a hard question and then I realised that there's only one series where all three episodes feature in my top favourites: series 1.

So I'd have to say series 1 is my absolute favourite and series 3 my least favourite even though it contains my absolute favourite episode because I so dislike TSOT and think TEH was disappointing. Series 2 is in the middle because I love ASIB and THOTB, but can't stand TRF.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 9, 2014 2:26 pm  #6

maryagrawatson wrote:

but can't stand TRF.

Mary

*gasp* Why not?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 9, 2014 2:54 pm  #7

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

maryagrawatson wrote:

but can't stand TRF.
Mary

*gasp* Why not?

Oh, I've been over that in other threads and don't want to hijack this one... I'll just say that I have no idea what is real or fake in that episode and therefore I cannot emotionally connect with it. TEH just makes the mess worse because it muddles TRF even further. Was Sherlock a step ahead of Moriarty? Did Moriarty beat Sherlock? Were Sherlock's tears real? Was Mycroft involved? On and on. No idea, so no emotional resonance. 90 minutes of amazing scenes that add up to absolutely nothing. The absolute only thing in that episode that genuinely made me feel was John at the end because I've been where he's been. His grief is the only thing I know is real in this whole episode.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 9, 2014 3:22 pm  #8

My fave is S2, too.. although I think both S1 and S2 are great. For me the episodes in S2 are a bit stronger in comparison, and the looks are just gorgeous - I love both the polished look of ASiB and the creepy one of HoB. Then the underlying themes of "The Woman, The Hound, and the Professor".. Love, fear and loss.. just great. I loved to see Sherlock shaken by his emotions (without being "reduced to feeling like a child" *sigh*) and found the deepening friendship of John and Sherlock very touching.

November 9, 2014 3:57 pm  #9

S2. Although I absolutely love ASiP and TGG. But I am also one of those people who did watch S2 first, and I almost immediately fell in love with it. And TRF made my cry so helplessly... sitting in front of the telly late on a thursday evening, being totally unprepared because I knew absolutely nothing about the episode in advance. And then it hit me like a sledgehammer. The rest is history.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 9, 2014 4:23 pm  #10

It's a difficult choice because I love them all, but I think S2 has the edge in being consistently wonderful.  It shows a lot of Sherlock's personal progression, and there's plenty of emotion whilst Sherlock continues to be exceedingly clever. 

November 9, 2014 8:38 pm  #11

Mine is S3 because it leaves me with so many different ways to deal with the aftermath in fanfics. After S2 all you could read or write was post-Reichenbach fics and reunion fics.
Now there is much more variety.

Last edited by Schmiezi (November 9, 2014 8:39 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 9, 2014 8:41 pm  #12

I agree with you on S3.
I think it's the best cliffhanger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2014 8:44 pm  #13

Schmiezi wrote:

Mine is S3 because it leaves me with so many different ways to deal with the aftermath in fanfics. After S2 all you could read or write was post-Reichenbach fics and reunion fics.
Now there is much more variety.

Always the fanfic author.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 10, 2014 12:22 pm  #14

S2! I deeply love the Scandal, it's just a perfect episode - funny, witty, great story, emotional depth plus emotionally convincing... just perfect. The Hound is not so much a favourite of mine, but somehow I seem to have established a rule not to like the second episode of each series so much, so Hound doesn't dragg S2 down too much. And Reichenbach... well, is there any more drama possible? Sometimes I'm sad that I only got to know Sherlock so late (this year!), but then again I'm so glad I could just put in the DVDs of S3 after watching the fall and get the solution. Waiting 2 years for it would've been absolutely horrible!

I believe in Jim Moriarty

November 10, 2014 7:28 pm  #15

Totally S2. Hounds is not that much of a fave but Scandal and Reichenbach are just so strong that they really make this my favourite. 

November 11, 2014 6:44 pm  #16

S 2.
Because the relationship between Sherlock and John is established in a way, but not damaged as in S 3. I just like the way they concentrate on cases and get involved with stuff. Series 1 is still building up, and series 3 has too much of a conscious character focus for my taste. Series 2 has exactly the right feeling for me. And it's simply the one I rewatch the most.

"It is what it is."

November 11, 2014 6:49 pm  #17

I'm watching it right now!
Even tho 3 is my fave,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 11, 2014 8:32 pm  #18

Whisky wrote:

S 2.
Because the relationship between Sherlock and John is established in a way, but not damaged as in S 3. I just like the way they concentrate on cases and get involved with stuff. Series 1 is still building up,...

Makes you wonder what way they will go with S4. I would be surprised if the big arc just leads them back to 221b to re-establish the status quo of S2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 11, 2014 8:45 pm  #19

Wonder if Mary will last the series?

November 11, 2014 11:04 pm  #20

Schmiezi wrote:

I would be surprised if the big arc just leads them back to 221b to re-establish the status quo of S2.

I would be delighted.

"It is what it is."

Board footera