BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2015 5:20 pm  #141

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

Nice one. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2015 8:02 pm  #142

Yes, IMO this glossy-looking criticism is just one more of a long list of subtle insults and digs the critics seem at pain to invent when talking about TIG: polished, solid, neat, safe, mild, glossy, classic, traditional, conventional, sentimental, sanitized  - you can add whatever you want. Even the good pronunciation has been frown at. (Well, they are all academics, what kind of English should they speak? cockney?)

And btw I read a very interesting article about the costumes and learnt that Mark Strong was wearing an authentic suit from the 1940s!

January 22, 2015 8:31 pm  #143

I really liked the accents.  I can't vouch for how accurate they are, but they sounded very reminiscent of the period (Benedict's and Keira's were the ones I really noticed).   Perhaps it's because I used to watch films like Brief Encounter, with it's lovely, clear posh accents.  I think that in recent years that way of talking is played down in period flims/TV so it was a pleasure to hear it in TIG. 

January 23, 2015 8:06 am  #144

After some reviews called historical facts included in the film fictitious this made me think. In my opinion the problem is that Alan's life and character were so extraordinary and eccentric that people actually think they cannot be true. This becomes even clearer when you look at some things they did not put in the film. Like:

- Alan buying silver bullions worth 250 pounds at the outbreak of war and burying them in a wood. When searching for the place later he could not find them anymore. The silver is probably still in the earth somewhere around Bletchley Park. 

- His obsession with Disney’s “Snowwhite and the Seven Dwarves” which he watched in Cambridge. He compulsively sang the song about the poisoned apple: “Dip the apple in the brew, let the Sleeping Death seep through.” Well. We all know how he died.

- And last not least the fact that he himself marched into a police station to explain about the burglary into his home while his lover was waiting outside. They soon became suspicious and Alan openly and without any shame admitted having had a sexual relationship with Arnold Murray. And then he even went on to declare that he thought the law about homosexuality was going to be amended soon. 

I am sure, the more facts they had put in, the harsher some critics would have been. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 23, 2015 8:25 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 23, 2015 10:06 am  #145

However eccentric a person Alan Turing was, it's really sad that it doesn't seem to be possible to show him with all his peculiarities without some critics going "Oh, that's over the top, that never happened, the writer made this up". Hello? If a critic feels that something might be invented or just off, then he'd better go and do some research on it before he writes utter nonsense in his review. It's totally fine to mention the things that were added to the story, and it's also fine to question whether or not all these things were necessary. But claiming that things were made up when in truth they actually happened... that's more than just a bit not good.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 23, 2015 10:16 am  #146

Yes, I agree. And I have no idea where this tendency comes from. And, moreover, the things that are made up can be explained but to understand this would of course require a bit of independent thinking. 

It is sad but I suspect that regarding Alan's treatment by the authorities they probably thought: If we make him go to the police and offer himself on a silver tray people will say, well, it was his own fault, he knew about this law, he should have stayed in his closet and everything would have been fine. And this would have been a terrible reaction to the treatment he received. And completely against the purpose of the film. 

January 23, 2015 10:18 am  #147

I have read that Alan's treatment wasn't at all as bad as it was portrayed in the movie. That it didn't affect him physically nor mentally as bad as is shown, and that it isn't clear if he committed sucidie or if it was an accident.

Then again, my source is Wikipedia, so I have no idea what the truth really is. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2015 10:27 am  #148

Well, I have read Andrew Hodges' book, Copeland's book and watched both earlier films about him. And I think he may have kept a stiff upper lip, saying, "It isn't exactly Cricket", but if you read about the side effects of the hormone treatment today - and this was 70 years ago - they are horrible: breast growth, increased weight, extreme mood swings, depression, loss of libido. We can be sure that Turing experienced all this. 

The suicide has never definitely been proven but it is assumed that he left some doubt in order to protect his mother. She always believed in an accident but it is highly unlikely that an experienced scientist would have been so careless to eat cyanide (which was found around his mouth). 

And what is more (and which the film does not mention, probably because it would have been too much) is that he would never again have been given clearance to work on secret projects, that the state did not trust him, that he was observed and spied on, that a Norwegian friend who wanted to visit him was sent back by the authorities before he even met Alan. I think even without the hormone effects this might be enough to drive a man to take his own life. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 23, 2015 10:30 am)

January 23, 2015 10:30 am  #149

This is pure torture. In the 60s. I have huge problems wrapping my head around that UK could do something like that to a living human being for nothing else than being gay.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2015 10:33 am  #150

For me it doesn't even really matter how bad the effects of that treatment actually were. The idea alone that you can 'cure' a human being from homosexuality by such a treatment, and to give you the choice between that or two years in prison... well. This alone must drive you mad. You're treated as a criminal, you know that society considers you to be a criminal for something you can't do anything about, for something that is part of your being... that's outrageous enough.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 23, 2015 10:39 am  #151

Yes. I agree with you. I just wanted to point out all the things that came together. And I think that by including this suspicion from the authorities in the film the writer only antedates the mistrust that came later, after the war. The feelings towards Alan are very real. The only difference is that they happened from 1951 on. 

And I read that Shaun Wylie, one of his BP colleagues, once said that they would have probably fired Alan had they known about his homosexuality and that Britain would have lost the war. 

January 23, 2015 10:44 am  #152

Vhanja wrote:

I have read that Alan's treatment wasn't at all as bad as it was portrayed in the movie. That it didn't affect him physically nor mentally as bad as is shown, and that it isn't clear if he committed sucidie or if it was an accident.

Then again, my source is Wikipedia, so I have no idea what the truth really is. 

You know that anybody can join wikipedia with comments? Strong  hormonotherapy always has visible effects on body and soul. And if you are forced to do it, it's certainly even worse. It's impossible to "cure" how a human "is".

Last edited by gently69 (January 23, 2015 10:45 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2015 10:48 am  #153

gently69 wrote:

You know that anybody can join wikipedia with comments? Strong  hormonotherapy always has visible effects on body and soul. And if you are forced to do it, it's certainly even worse. It's impossible to "cure" how a human "is".

I do know that, that is why I wrote what I did about Wiki being my source.

And as I wrote in my comment above, I view it as pure torture. And I am unable to wrap my head around UK doing this to another living being.

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2015 10:52 am  #154

I'm sure, the UK is not the only place where that had been done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2015 11:04 am  #155

To rephrase then: I am unable to wrap my head around any civilised country doing this to another living being as late as the 60s.

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2015 1:42 pm  #156

Vhanja wrote:

To rephrase then: I am unable to wrap my head around any civilised country doing this to another living being as late as the 60s.

There are still places in the world where being gay is illegal even today.  It seems there will always be crimes against humanity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 23, 2015 2:08 pm  #157

Actually, we can know that for Turing himself it was every bit as bad or worse than it was portrayed, given that he physically tried to gouge the implant out himself, without anesthesia or medical expertise. "Objectively" is totally irrelevant;, to him it was that bad.

Last edited by REReader (January 23, 2015 2:09 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 23, 2015 4:01 pm  #158

No matter how 'bad' the treatment was or wasn't... the mere fact that they did it to him is a crime.

It makes me so sick to know stuff like that went on. And like tonnaree said... there's still countries in the world where being gay is illegal; some places you can even get setenced to death for it. 

being LGBT this scares me, angers me and fills me with sorrow. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 23, 2015 4:02 pm  #159

January 23, 2015 4:19 pm  #160

My love for Stephen Fry is endless! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera