BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2015 10:03 am  #121

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

It always comes in handy when you need to swear in German. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2015 4:03 pm  #122

Seems my advanced German classes weren't wasted either! 
I even made a list of German swearwords... and I had help from my teacher, she was a little older German woman... 

And I can only agree with your choice of words

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 21, 2015 5:23 pm  #123

SusiGo wrote:

It always comes in handy when you need to swear in German. 

No Fair!

I want to learn to swear in German!!!   

Message me what that swear means!  I'm begging you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 21, 2015 5:30 pm  #124

Just a sec!

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2015 6:21 pm  #125

Now I'd reeeaaally like to know how you translated this, Susi. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 21, 2015 6:26 pm  #126

It was not easy because of the pleonasm. Therefore I roughly translated it with "pseudo intellectual crap" and expertly explained the slight differences between "Kacke" and "Scheiße". I am still waiting for tonnaree's comments. I also explained the use of the popular German word "Arsch" to her. 

January 21, 2015 6:32 pm  #127

Seems you sent a very educational PM to tonnaree. Of course, "Kackscheiße" would have to be something like "crapshit" then, right?
Anyway, this is going way off-topic. So sorry, dear mods.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 21, 2015 6:48 pm  #128

Yes, good translation, Solar. 

The mod apologises to all other members for this off-topic discussion. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 21, 2015 6:48 pm)

January 21, 2015 7:03 pm  #129

Well, I've quite enjoyed reading the discussion even if I was a bit lost with it!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do like the inaccuracies to be pointed out, whether it's by scientists, critics, Alan Hodges or whoever.  I'm curious about those things.   And I'm always wary of going to see a biographical/historical film and then absorbing that picture as fact (which happens!  I find it really difficult to "forget" what I've seen on screen.    For instance, the portrayal of Mozart in Amadeus - what's the bet that it wasn't completely accurate? It was drama, not history.  But the film was wonderful and the images have stuck with me). 

January 21, 2015 7:07 pm  #130

I do not mind people pointing them out. What I dislike is if they draw condescending conclusions. Or, even worse, call things fictitious that are true.

January 21, 2015 7:09 pm  #131

Liberty wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do like the inaccuracies to be pointed out, whether it's by scientists, critics, Alan Hodges or whoever.  I'm curious about those things.

But there is a difference between pointing out inaccuracies (which I'm fine with as well) and between a review that goes on and on about things that were made up and then even claiming this of things that definitely weren't made up and actually happened. That's what the author of the article we talked about did, at length.

Susi, we crossed.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 21, 2015 7:09 pm)

January 21, 2015 7:10 pm  #132

SusiGo wrote:

It was not easy because of the pleonasm. Therefore I roughly translated it with "pseudo intellectual crap" and expertly explained the slight differences between "Kacke" and "Scheiße". I am still waiting for tonnaree's comments. I also explained the use of the popular German word "Arsch" to her. 

*still taking notes*

Thank you for furthering my education Susi!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 21, 2015 7:13 pm  #133

tonnaree, did Susi also tell you that in German we love to combine the words "Arsch" and "Keks" (Keks = cookie)...? This then makes: Arschkeks.

January 21, 2015 7:17 pm  #134

*taking more notes*

My kids each took 3 years of German.  I wonder if they know these words?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 21, 2015 7:19 pm  #135

Probably not. 

January 21, 2015 8:05 pm  #136

Because my son now speaks German all the time in his everyday life...when he comes home, he sometimes forgets the English words for things!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 22, 2015 7:27 am  #137

I finally got to see the film at a special preview yesterday.. it has been a very powerful experience and certainly worth the wait! The theater was packed and the audience was really in tune with the story, lots of laughter and sobs around.. makes me hope it will be pretty successful in Germany, too (in spite of the little attention it received beforehand.. but now there are posters everywhere, better late than never.)

It has made a huge impression on me - of course there are inaccuracies and I could also see why some critics pointed out the glossy movie-look of sets and costumes, but that didn´t change the fact that the story really gripped me and took me back into this horrible chapter in history. One of the most impressive parts - besides the actual war footage which brought a terrible feeling of reality - has certainly been the excellent cast - yes, first and foremost Benedict, but I was also very impressed by Alex Lawther, Keira Knightley and Matthew Beard. 

I liked how the story was told in three different time frames - it could have been confusing, but was actually executed so well it all fell neatly into place and created a very well rounded picture of Alan´s personality and fate. The Oscar for best Film Editing would be very well deserved!

My friend (who isn´t a special Cumberbatch-fan) and I agreed we´ll certainly go and see it again! (Maybe this time in German to really catch all the details.. I confess I was a little at a loss sometimes, especially with the policemen´s accents..)

January 22, 2015 10:15 am  #138

Zatoichi wrote:

and I could also see why some critics pointed out the glossy movie-look of sets and costumes,

But where is it glossy...? Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I just don't see it. In my opinion they have tried to make it look more colourless than it probably was, they tuned the colours down a bit, the sets look like your everyday office, living-room, you name it. And the costumes... well, we're mainly talking about suits here, aren't we? They're grey or brown and black. Keira's skirts and dresses aren't what I would call posh, either. 
I really don't see anything glossy about it.

January 22, 2015 10:17 am  #139

I think it was quite close to the style of the period. I read an interview with the costume designer who said that she tried to get original materials and designs in order to stay true to the style. Just look at Keira's unsexy tights and shoes … 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 22, 2015 10:17 am)

January 22, 2015 3:41 pm  #140

I was probably influenced by some reviews I read before that said something in the terms of "glossy Hollywood treatment" of the story.. Pseudointellektuelle Sesselpupser.. 

Board footera