BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2014 9:17 am  #61

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

Yes, I agree with you both. And it was also a wonderful parallel between the fast-paced music reflecting the workings of his mind and his fast-moving body. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 30, 2014 3:46 am  #62

Just got home from seeing it.  My head and my heart are so full right now.
It was an amzing film experiance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2015 6:47 pm  #63

http://www.turingfilm.com

I just watched this film which wonderfully complements “The Imitation Game”. More documentary, more intimate, covering Alan Turing’s whole life but conceived as a two-character play. The scenes between Alan and his psychiatrist Franz Greenbaum are interwoven with testimonies of his nephew Dermot Turing, Dr Greenbaum’s daughters who knew Alan well, biographers, scientists, and former colleagues. 

Thee film stresses the importance of Christopher Morcom calling him the most important person in Alan’s life, a fact so beautifully reflected in TIG. The film also describes in harrowing detail the effects of the hormone therapy which makes Benedict’s portrayal even more heartbreaking.

Ed Stoppard does a very good job at playing Alan down to his nail-biting habit. His outward appearance is very different from Alan Turing’s but you feel that he has studied the character thoroughly and shows a lot of empathy. 

Anyone interested in the historical background and Alan Turing’s life beyond the periods covered by TIG should have a look at this one.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 1, 2015 11:09 pm  #64

Just got back from seeing the TIG (had to travel to a city about 2 hours away to see it) and I am still shaking a bit from the powerful after effects of it. 

I do hope this film (and Cumberbatch) gets the recognition it deserves.  Dan wasn't totally perswaded that it was Oscar worthy before we saw it (he was aware of the publicity surrounding it though) but afterwards when I asked if he liked it or not he answered immediately (with a low throaty growl that he saves for when he is genuinely excited about things) "Oh, it was great - worth an Oscar for sure!".  

We went with my sis and her husband and all four of us were very enthusiastic about it.  The 1 pm. show (first of the day) was over half full - remarkable really since it was a relatively early showing for the night after New Years Eve partying. 

I  will post more later about specifics on the film later.  Right now I just want to sit back and enjoy the feeling I get after experiencing a truly exceptional piece of acting skill coming together with significant subject matter in a film. 

I am truly gobsmacked! 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 3, 2015 6:33 pm  #65

This is truly an important film and I am very glad BC is front and centre in it. 

His work in it is exceptional and he really does just inhabit Turing from start to finish.  There is so much he says even when he is just standing there.  It is almost scary to watch his performance - it is so nuanced and sustained.  I never once though of Sherlock when viewing this film. 

Brilliant as Cumberbatch is (and he is absolutely brilliant) he is supported well with an excellent supporting cast and finely structured film to fortify this remarkable performance.  Keira Knightly is a perfect foil for Turing - a very human and warm Joan Clarke who contrasts nicely with Alan's initially prickly and distanced adult personality.  They are a wonderful cinematic pair.  The rest of his "crew" are also well played.  Even though Turing can't really relate to them on the same plane as he does to Joan, he does become closer to them (and they to him) and there is a kind of bond between all the team members by the time the code is cracked.  

Some of the scenes just took my breath away - not just the important one near the end when Joan discovers the horrible inhuman treatments that Alan was forced into taking, but also earlier ones like when he pretends to sluff Joan off to protect her and tells her he really doesn't care for her and that he was just using her for the sake of the project.  You can see with his eyes (and his whole being) that his words are false but you can also see that he is saying it with enough conviction that she will believe him.  Tremendously hard bit of acting - to make both things believable both in the on screen world and to the audience.  Just a powerhouse of a scene! 

I think BC really got who Turing was at his core.  Here is a summation from BC himself about Turing (it comes from the production notes produced by the Weinstein Company) -

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH ON ALAN TURING:He had a unique and driven and asymmetrical personality – he was very high-functioning, he had great empathy levels and was especially caring and had a great affinity with children. He had this unfettered ability to communicate with people and not feel that he was constrained by the usual platitudes, the status quo interaction demanded of a man who was so focusedand slightly shy. He was seen as an odd fish, "an odd duck" as his mum called it. He was so capable, so fast-thinking, and so healthy. He was a very physical man – he ran marathons to near-Olympic standard and competed in cross-country events. He would run from his house in Wilmslow to work at Manchester University, a 20 kilometer round trip. I talked to people who had known him during his Manchester days and they all said how extraordinarily kind he was, polite and diffident. He didn't often make direct eye contact, but when he did, you felt bathed in a very humane, intrigued, witty and rather lovely personality. He was very focused and often deemed to be in his own world, in his own line of thinking, in his own thought pattern and he would do some very eccentric things, but he was very open about them. He was a remarkable human being, a very kind soul, a very benign, slightly gauche, but a very doggedly determined, single-minded human being of extraordinary talent and ability. The tragedy of his life is not only that it ended so early, but that he was persecuted in a timeof intolerance for his sexuality.

Even reading his summation makes me breathless. 

I think the young lad who played Turing in his school days was excellent too.  It was an extremely difficult role to play and he knocked it out of the park (especially in the scene where he finds out Christopher has died - a direct parallell to the scene that impressed me so much with BC and KK).  The only thing I found slightly distracting was that the boy's mouth was nothing like BC's (that distinctive cupid's bow BC has is decidedly absent in Alex Lawther) but the performance is the thing - not one tiny physical difference, so it didn't impact (I mention it here now mainly because I was struck by this when I watched it initially) on the stunning performance of the lad.

The musical score was remarkable (I hope the production wins something for that as well).  As was the costuming and sets.  I do think the director Morten Tyldum has moved into a whole new class of notice because of this film.  He should get recognition for this achievement indeed. 

Here's hoping the whole kit and kaboodle gets an truckload of recognition (awards, nominations, praise, notice and bums in the seats) for this phenomenal film!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 3, 2015 6:55 pm  #66

I agree, the performance from BC was astounding. He didn't miss a beat. And I was also impressed by the boy's performance when he knew about Christopher's death. How a young child at that age can handle such a heavy scene with such a long close-up is simply remarkable.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 3, 2015 7:18 pm  #67

The scene where Allen tries to put Joan off broke my heart in a dozen different ways.  When she called him a monster you could see him flinch.  The words caused him physical pain!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 9, 2015 9:48 am  #68

Yes! Finally got to see it yesterday - and in original version, too (not such a given in Italy!). I am still digesting it, so I will post more later - I think having seen so many clips, interviews etc. distorted my perception a bit - but on the whole I loved it.
B. is amazing, but I expected him to be so no surprise there. Just two observations on 2 controversial points:

1. the ending: it was perfect and well balanced. To introduce the scene of suicide would be over-doing and would add nothing. Watching Benedict/Turing destroyed by the hormonal "cure" is hearwrenching and tells it all we need to know what was done to the man, his life, his dignity and his brain.
2. the famous spy-subplot. I could do without the explanation why-who-how, but other then that there is nothing offensive or ambiguous implied about Turing. Was he at risk of being blackmailed for being homosexual? Of course he was and it was just another point the film is making about how absurd and even dangerous was to treat homosexuals in the way British government treated them. But in the very next scene after Turing - Caincross exchenge is Turing calling Menzies, so we can only logically suppose that since he cannot tell Denniston he goes to Menzies. But I wish they left Turing confessing that he is gay to Menzies.

More thoughts to come...

January 9, 2015 5:47 pm  #69

Didn't he put the phone down?  He seemed to be wanting to do it but changed his mind about following through (if I remember - it's a while since I've seen it now).   There was quite a short period of time between him being blackmailed and confessing, but it wasn't clear if or when he would have confessed if Joan wasn't at risk.  I'm still a bit uncomfortable about that - I can see that it makes a more exciting story, but not sure it was necessary.

I agree about the ending.   And in a way, that does seem more truthful.  I think that (almost) all the other scenes were witnessed by others - Turing was alone when he died, so nobody was ever able to tell exactly what happened.  It would have to have been an invention, however well done.   I think I prefer it being left the way it is. 

January 9, 2015 5:56 pm  #70

I think the ending is one of those occasions where you get more if you show less. So they made the right decision with not showing him actually committing suicide. Of course, for those who know for example what Benedict has to say about that scene, it might somehow work even better. But I think that the symbolism (if you want to call it that) in that scene makes absolutely clear what's happening and what's going to happen after he's turned off the lights. And you don't need to see any details. It's one of those scenes that sent shivers down my spine...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 9, 2015 6:10 pm  #71

I agree about the ending too. To be honest, it was in a way a more painful ending that if they had shown him comitting sucidide. Because we could see what the "treatment" was doing and how horrible it was, in a way a suicide couldn't have shown.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2015 8:34 am  #72

Liberty wrote:

Didn't he put the phone down?  He seemed to be wanting to do it but changed his mind about following through (if I remember - it's a while since I've seen it now). 

Yes, he put it down. But since the very next scene is him with Menzies, it's ok for me. The issue hasn't been developped into Alan effectively submitting to Caincross's blackmail or helping him and I think it's only human that a man in his position would be faced with an almost impossible dilemma: being exposed would not only mean being put in prison and barred from work, but more important barred from Enigma - where his presence was crucial.
On the other hand, this subplot works beautifully and adds so many layers to the film:
1. the scene itself is played beatifully by both BC and AL: the range of emotions on Turing's face is incredible and you can see that it is not only the discovery he is horrified about, but he is also grieved because he grew fond of John. Leech is also superb, there is a subtle change on his face going from gioval to ruthless and menacing. Alan confided in him as a friend and it has backfired in a worst possible way: yet another moment when he realizes he cannot afford the luxury of real friends.
2. It is a key development to both  Menzies and especially Clarke subplots. We don't know exactly why they broke up in a real life, but in the film it was played to its best possible impact: on the one hand Turing makes this extreme sacrifice, giving up his last and only chance for a true relationship of love & understanding, on the other han Joan has out-grown the limitations of her social-cultural background and has the strenght to be "different" - to put her work above the concerns of "decorum".

January 10, 2015 10:15 am  #73

I agree. And something else about the Cairncross subplot - it is also a foreshadowing of things to come because the real fear and hysteria regarding Soviet spies and gay men who could be blackmailed broke out after the War. It is has been said that in the atmosphere of the 1950s a man like Alan Turing would never have got the highly classified job he had in Bletchley Park. And if I remember correctly, he was barred from such work during the last years of his life. And he was observed by the authorities as well which may have been one of the reasons for his suicide. 

January 10, 2015 10:48 am  #74

If I remember, the scene with Menzies is ambiguous - it appears that Alan reveals the spy because he believes Joan is a suspect (which implies that he wouldn't have done otherwise).   It does work dramatically, I agree, especially with the revelation that the spy is a plant, and it's historically interesting.  So it maybe does make a better film.  But ... it also establishes Turing as a security risk alongside being a hero - it kind of supports the authorities view on that, and shows that he would have harboured a spy (until he found out that Joan was at risk).   That may have been true of Turing (and of people in general), but it's an assumption, and he apparently never did commit this crime.   I think I'd like to have seen it done a different way, if the story had to be put in.  However understandable it is, we see him expecting other people to sacrifice their loved ones, but not being willing to sacrifice himself.

I suppose I've been very resistant to the idea that being gay in those times automatically made somebody a security risk - it seems such a homophobic concept.   I suppose the film (bravely?) backs that up, by showing quite bluntly that yes, the average gay person would be a risk in a high security environment and would need to be monitored (in the way that Turing was). 

Last edited by Liberty (January 10, 2015 11:10 am)

January 10, 2015 11:18 am  #75

It is not a homophobic concept per se. It made them a security risk as, sadly, it made them vunerable to blackmail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 10, 2015 11:29 am  #76

But only cause being gay was illegal or seen as being wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2015 12:31 pm  #77

besleybean wrote:

But only cause being gay was illegal or seen as being wrong.

Exactly. It's not that a gay person was more "at risk" because they were gay. It was governement fault. By treating homosexuality as a crime they made gays vulnerable and subject to blackmail, even when they were completely innocent of any crime. In fact Turing is put in an impossible situation, because he is at mercy first of Caincross (his presumed friend), then of Menzies, who is only too happy to force Turing to do his game.

January 10, 2015 1:10 pm  #78

Turing was the victim.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2015 1:22 pm  #79

Davina wrote:

It is not a homophobic concept per se. It made them a security risk as, sadly, it made them vunerable to blackmail.

I suppose it's not homophobic in the sense that gay men weren't the only group that was targeted ("Sherlock" takes the view that just about everybody is vulnerable to blackmail/threats).  But what I mean is that hounding/"observing" Turing (or anyone) just because they were gay does feel homophobic - yet, the film confirms that he WAS a security risk (not just because of being gay and so having something to be blackmailed about, but because he apparently succumbed to the blackmail).  And the unpleasant truth is that, although Turing was never put in that position, the film is probably right that the potential was there - which kind of makes it right that he was seen as a risk purely because of his sexuality.

The concept does stem from homophobia (creating an environment where gay men were vulnerable to blackmail, and then seeing gay men as vulnerable to blackmail).    It was circular.   In the film, Turing's fear of exposure isn't about public shame or even that it's illegal - but about being seen as a security risk and the consequences of that (at least, that's what Cairncross threatens) - and I'm very glad that they took that approach as I think it's more consistent with the character. 

(I know nothing about wartime politics, but I tend to think that the "problem" could have been solved in a different way - by offering government protection to gay men in that situation, which would have made blackmail much more difficult). 

Last edited by Liberty (January 10, 2015 1:49 pm)

January 10, 2015 1:40 pm  #80

Liberty, re your last comment...that would have been the most sensible thing to do.
But remember we were dealing with a time when many Brits would still consider themselves Christian and sadly in those days that equated with being anti gay...thankfully we've moved on somewhat. Certainly up until the 1970s, The World Health Org had homosexuality classified as a disease...I don't know if it still does!

Last edited by besleybean (January 10, 2015 1:42 pm)

Board footera