BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2015 9:12 am  #301

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

I think this fear and criticism is based on exactly nothing. There is not one solid argument against a potential ownership. Is it even a safe information that he actually wants to buy it?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 13, 2015 9:15 am  #302

No idea. The Telegraph is not a tabloid so I think there might be some truth to it. But to insinuate that Benedict buying it would be the worst possible outcome because he does not take Turing's history seriously is outright insulting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 13, 2015 9:17 am  #303

That's true. He did so much more than just promoting his newest movie.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 13, 2015 9:21 am  #304

Maybe they don't take his ambitions seriously because he is an actor? And in their opinion the only correct user has to be an organisation which "deserves" it?

Last edited by gently69 (April 13, 2015 9:39 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 13, 2015 9:30 am  #305

Actually, I agree with them it's a shame that this document should not belong to the public.
But I don't see either why they have to pick out Benedict (of all people), the one who has proven he understands its value.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 13, 2015 9:40 am  #306

Yes, I agree with that part of the article as well. It should be given to an organisation who will study it and make it accessible to the public, Bletchley Park, Manchester University, the National Trust, whatever. But to assume that Benedict would not do that, is very unfair. 

Which reminds me of the Codex Leicester, a precious hand-written Da Vinci manuscript. It was sold at an auction to an American billionaire who kept it under lock and key until it was bought by another American billionaire (Bill Gates) who made it open to the public again. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 13, 2015 9:45 am  #307

Thanks to Bill Gates - however, it also shows how much the public then depends on the generosity of a private person.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 13, 2015 6:00 pm  #308

Turing's composition notebook just sold at auction for $1,025,000 USD (that includes the auction house fees).  No word as of yet who bought it but a tweet says it sold "in the room".

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (April 13, 2015 6:17 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

April 29, 2015 2:52 pm  #309

Three late nominations for Benedict, Allen Leech, and the film at the IFTA awards:

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4288251&tpl=archnews&force=1

And one for Andrew Scott in HLV which I think is amazing if you consider that he as about two minutes screentime. 

April 29, 2015 4:05 pm  #310

SusiGo wrote:

And one for Andrew Scott in HLV which I think is amazing if you consider that he as about two minutes screentime. 

Actually, I don't know what to say to this. As much as I think that he's deserving of any award he can get... seriously, for HLV...? Is that even two minutes? I think that's a bit, I don't know... weird.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 29, 2015 4:16 pm  #311

Yes, my thoughts exactly. And, no, it may be even less. And the Did you miss me? second at the end. 

April 29, 2015 4:26 pm  #312

I mean, stranger things have happened. Dame Judi Dench won an Ocars for her eight minutes in "Shakespeare in Love"... her performance was great, but the role was really tiny.
I'm just thinking, you know... if Benedict were nominated in the same category with someone who only had five minutes screen time while Benedict played a role that showed him in lots and lots of scenes... you know what I mean? Difficult.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 29, 2015 4:36 pm  #313

Yes, I thought the same. For him it seems to be far more difficult to be nominated and honoured than for some others. 

April 30, 2015 2:55 pm  #314

Just checked up on the info about how The Imitation Game is doing at the Box Office. 

It is still in a few theatres (after over 150 days and counting) and has made slightly over $91 million in the domestic North American market. 

Globally (which includes NA domestic markets and Overseas markets), is is closing in on $220 million (USD). 

That doesn't count of course the sales of DVDs and Bluray - doing very well I understand. 

Turing's story is still reaching an amazing audience! 

-Val (info like this really helps cheer me up despite the HORRIBLE cold I have been suffering through this week!!)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

April 30, 2015 3:24 pm  #315

SolarSystem wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Actually, I don't know what to say to this. As much as I think that he's deserving of any award he can get... seriously, for HLV...? Is that even two minutes? I think that's a bit, I don't know... weird.

Benedict did a phenomenal job during his 5 minutes of screentime in August - The Osage County and it doesn't result to me that has got any nomination & awards for it. (Not to mention that he has got thrillion nominations and virtually no wins for TIG)

May 7, 2015 10:25 am  #316

Can someone help calm me a bit?

I preordered the DVD but I can now see that it says it has a temporary release date (May 18th, in Denmark)...

What do they mean by temporary?? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 7, 2015 10:28 am  #317

Sorry, I never heard of such a thing. But I would stay optimistic as long they do not change the date. 

May 7, 2015 10:35 am  #318

The DVD release date for Australia seems a bit vague... I thought it was meant to be May 6, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet. I'm disgusted that my library appears to have ordered only one copy of it - and I'm about 30th on the reservation list! wth? I'm really tempted to buy it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 8, 2015 3:19 am  #319

ukaunz wrote:

The DVD release date for Australia seems a bit vague... I thought it was meant to be May 6, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet. I'm disgusted that my library appears to have ordered only one copy of it - and I'm about 30th on the reservation list! wth? I'm really tempted to buy it...

You guys don't have a version of NetFlix in your countries?  That's how I saw TIG--  I signed up for it, way before it finally came out on DVD, and I must have been like first in line, because the DVD I got in the mail to view was brand new, not a scratch on it. We watched, we returned it, and yay, easy.

May 8, 2015 3:24 am  #320

You can rent it on you tube for US $4.99, but I have no idea if that's viewable in all countries or what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_LJvgfAf8

You can rent it on amazon.com, same price
http://www.amazon.com/Imitation-Game-Benedict-Cumberbatch/dp/B00R7FZ074/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1431055380&sr=1-1&keywords=the+imitation+game

Those might be worth checking out.

Board footera