BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2015 11:41 pm  #281

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

That is amazing numbers!

I was so sad to see how few people turned up for the screenings I went to here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 9, 2015 7:05 pm  #282

I suppose this is belongs in the spoiler thread because it does involve a plot point: There's a video of Benedict (and other creators of The Imitation Game) at the Express website about Alan Turing's and the loss of Christopher. (I assume this was timed to coincide with the release of the DVD.) 

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 13, 2015 5:06 am  #283

I found a sneak peek of the special features from The Imitation Game's Blu-ray release. The website says it's an exclusive, but it may have been posted elsewhere on this board, so sorry if I'm repeating anyone.

Exclusive Benedict Cumberbatch Alan Turing was treated brutally

Last edited by ukaunz (March 13, 2015 5:09 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 23, 2015 1:04 pm  #284

Here are the deleted scenes, including the one in Alan's bedroom after his death.

http://repmet.tumblr.com/post/114392093124/the-imitation-game-deleted-scenes

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 23, 2015 2:43 pm  #285

I'm glad they didn't leave the scene in Alan's bedroom after his death in the final cut. What we get in the movie is much more powerful, in my opinion.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 23, 2015 2:46 pm  #286

Yes, I think it would not have been necessary to show that. And the information about his suicide immediately after the bonfire scene is a much stronger contrast. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 23, 2015 4:13 pm  #287

They did the right thing I feel.

*Dries eyes*

I felt it had a huge impact reading the 'afterword'... I remember how it made my chest cramp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 23, 2015 4:54 pm  #288

I also think that it has been a wise decision to have no more dialogue after Alan turns off the light - especially not by people who didn't have a real connection with him. It kind of destroys the atmopshere having the police arrive at Alan's house and then seeing them standing at his bed, talking. It has a much bigger impact to be left alone with Alan turning off the light and walking into the dark room.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 23, 2015 5:13 pm  #289

In a way they gave Alan the 'last word'... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 23, 2015 5:46 pm  #290

Well said, Phantom. 

March 23, 2015 6:03 pm  #291

And even that 'last word' makes you hold your breath, because that last scene gives you time to concentrate on him and not on anything he's saying. Because he's not talking.

March 23, 2015 7:36 pm  #292

Will the DVD have the same special features as the blu-ray?

March 28, 2015 11:14 pm  #293

Here is an interesting and moving article from the Guardian about men sentenced under the same law asAlan Turing:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/28/turing-got-pardon-i-want-one-too

March 28, 2015 11:52 pm  #294

So many wrongs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 29, 2015 8:42 am  #295

Good artilce, thanks.   There must be so many similar stories.   It reminded me that it wasn't just the law that was wrong - the police had a lot to answer for too. 

March 29, 2015 10:38 am  #296

Liberty wrote:

Good artilce, thanks.   There must be so many similar stories.   It reminded me that it wasn't just the law that was wrong - the police had a lot to answer for too. 

I recently read an article about Germany in 1960s. The police sometimes had their own officers chatting up men who were then arrested. I never knew that such things still happened at that time. 

April 3, 2015 9:18 pm  #297

My husband and I finally saw TIG today, on DVD (we don't generally actually go to see movies in the theater, but wait for the DVDs). This was well worth waiting for-- both of us sat transfixed, watching.

A few minutes after the movie ended, my husband told me, "All during the movie, I kept thinking of that Don McLean song "Vincent" that had the line, this world was never meant for someone as beautiful as you."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHnRfhDmrk  Many of the song lyrics are eerily apropos for Turing's life and death.

Ben is a fabulous actor. He should have won the Oscar, but I'm glad that at least he was nominated for one. His performance in TIG was life-altering. I will never forget it.

April 3, 2015 9:21 pm  #298

Thanks for sharing this Vincent thought 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 3, 2015 9:21 pm  #299

Very glad you finally watched it and loved it so much. I agree, it is an Oscar-worthy performance indeed.

April 13, 2015 9:06 am  #300

Here is an interesting article about Alan Turing's "secret" notebook to be auctioned. What makes me angry, however, is their criticism of Benedict wishing to buy it. Because he surely would put it in his safe and take it out once a month to gaze at it in private so that nobody ever would be able to study it. Gosh, the British press does really dislike him. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11530156/How-Alan-Turings-secret-notebook-could-disappear-forever.html

Board footera