BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2015 2:26 am  #261

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

Those numbers are very interesting--and impressive! Thanks for bringing them all, Val and SusiGo.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 13, 2015 7:54 am  #262

Ah-chie wrote:

The first time I saw the scene of BC and KK when he breaks off their marriage and thus their friendship to protect her, I thought KK's acting was a bit jarring and OTT. 

Actually, it is not marriage, but engagement. I noticed that quite few people got confused about it, also among my friends.
I agree about Keira, I think this is one of her finest performance up to date and they built her arch nicely, showing how in fact Alan helped her to find her place in the world and overcome the social and mental obstacles in choosing her own way of life.

The tagline is one think I could do without in the movie, although I do see its functionality in tying up together the three time frames and also, if I remember correctly, it is an authentic quotation of something Christopher told Alan.

February 13, 2015 3:11 pm  #263

Thanks for pointing that out miriel68 - I guess I should have added "upcoming" and then the meaning would have been clearer. 

About KK's role - yes, I really enjoyed that aspect that came through loud and clear upon second viewing for me (once I could take my eyes off of BC ).  

And that's interesting about the tag line quote - I didn't know that it originated from something that Christopher told Alan.  But it fits absolutely, for Turing personally and for the theme of the movie.  I just wished they had used it with a bit more delicate hand - the old adage still stands for me... less is more.

-Val 

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 14, 2015 7:35 am  #264

As I said, I agree absolutely about the tagline, especially this being quite a convoluted sentence you "hear" it even more. They use the line about violence twice, but it didn't sound so emphatic and didn't bother me.

Interestingly, I enjoyed the movie far more on my second (and, ekhm, third) viewing, when I was able to concentrate propely on film-as-film and not only on Benedict.
I watched an interview with Keira in which she said that the film took some liberties with Clarke's character from the factual point of view, but I found that the movie still captured an essential truth about her. She is brilliant, but accepts the necessity of being a nice girl among men, always demure and well-educated. This makes the break-up scene even more powerful, because we see how much she has grown and matured as a person - thanks to Alan.

February 15, 2015 3:50 am  #265

I am not sure if this has been posted on the forum or not but The Imitation Game won the Writers Guild Award for best adapted screenplay on Saturday night.  Winning this craft guild award could help in its bid for best adapted screenplay at the Oscars next Sunday. 

Congrats to Graham Moore (the whole TIG team must be so proud)!   

The story was reported in a live streaming blog tonight on the Hollywood Reporter site.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 15, 2015 8:40 am  #266

Yes, I saw it. A well deserved one and I do hope it bids well for Oscars, it would be extremely sad (not to say unjust) to see TIG walk out of Oscars completely empty-handed, like earlier from GG and Bafta.

February 15, 2015 10:59 am  #267

Ah-chie wrote:

I am not sure if this has been posted on the forum or not but The Imitation Game won the Writers Guild Award for best adapted screenplay on Saturday night. Winning this craft guild award could help in its bid for best adapted screenplay at the Oscars next Sunday.

The story was reported in a live streaming blog tonight on the Hollywood Reporter site.

-Val

Wonderful news! The Award was well deserved, I think. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 15, 2015 11:08 am  #268

Wonderful news. Very happy to hear that. Congrats to Graham Moore and keeping fingers crossed for the Oscars. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 15, 2015 4:00 pm  #269

Here's a link to the moment when Graham Moore won his WGA award for TIG as best adapted screenplay last night -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYz9eyT_JfY&app=desktop

I am so happy he won!  The film deserves it and Moore and the whole team behind it deserve it as well. 

I hope it goes on to more acolades at the Oscars.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 15, 2015 6:23 pm  #270

I have read so many smug and malicious comments about TIG recently that I am even more happy that it has at least got some recognition, especially after frankly ridiculous award to TTOE screenplay at Bafta.

February 15, 2015 9:27 pm  #271

Here's a interesting article about TIG that was published in Variety today -

http://variety.com/2015/artisans/awards/wga-prize-gives-11th-hour-surge-to-imitation-game-team-in-awards-marathon-1201433847/

I want to highlight a couple of passages which stood out for me -

"During campaigns, mutual admiration is de rigueur; but the affection among the “Imitation” team seems genuine and was in full force when Moore won the WGA prize for their film. After thanking his colleagues in his acceptance speech, Moore paid tribute to Turing, saying, “It is on the shoulders of his genius that we made this film.” "

and

William Goldenberg enthused about editing the sequence when Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) begins to crack the Enigma code. Goldenberg also spoke of another scene in which the camera stays on Cumberbatch’s face for 63 seconds. He said it’s great to work with a performance that can hold a shot for so long: “One of the joys of editing is discovering when not to edit.”

Really nice and more than a bit exciting to see how the TIG team is getting the word out about Turing and just how great this film is.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 15, 2015 10:00 pm  #272

Ah-chie wrote:

I am not sure if this has been posted on the forum or not but The Imitation Game won the Writers Guild Award for best adapted screenplay on Saturday night. Winning this craft guild award could help in its bid for best adapted screenplay at the Oscars next Sunday.

-Val

Wonderful!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 15, 2015 10:04 pm  #273

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 16, 2015 4:59 pm  #274

The Imitation Game picked up another award for best adapted screenplay on Sunday night.  Congrats again to Graham Moore and all The Imitation Game team!

The film won a Satellite Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, competing against 5 other movies that included Gone Girl, Inherent Vice, The Theory of Everything, American Sniper and Wild.

Here's a link to where the announcement of all the Satellite winners was presented...

http://www.thewrap.com/satellite-awards-complete-winners-list/

In case someone isn't familiar with these awards, here's some info on them from Wikipeadia -

The Satellite Awards are annual awards given by the International Press Academy that are commonly noted in entertainment industry journals and blogs. The awards were originally known as the Golden Satellite Awards. The award ceremonies take place each year at the InterContinental Hotel in Century City, Los Angeles.

They have been going since 1997.

Also of note :
Sherlock was also nominated for a Satellite (in the Television category for Best Miniseries Made for Television) but didn't win.

It did look like it was a fairly wide-ranging category - nine nominated entrants in total and it included such programmes as The Roosevelts: An Intimate History (which I saw and thought was very wonderful) so it obviously was mixed bag of fictional and non-fictional stories.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 16, 2015 5:56 pm  #275

It's really good to see this film win some awards! In my heart it deserves all of them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 17, 2015 2:26 am  #276

Here is a short interview with M. Tyldum on the International Business Times site.

http://www.ibtimes.com/imitation-game-director-morten-tyldum-talks-benedict-cumberbatch-sundays-oscars-more-1818006

One of the more interesting aspects he talks about is how everyone on the movie, the cast, crew and Tyldum himself, worked for a fraction of what they normally would have done to do the film "because it was a passion project.".

Another point that Tyldum told about was that BC's dad Timothy went to the same school as Turing did. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 19, 2015 4:07 pm  #277

Here is a short featurette about the making of TIG.

Enjoy!

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 19, 2015 8:00 pm  #278

Wow….   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 26, 2015 12:31 pm  #279

I was thrilled to finally see TIG today, on my own. I definitely needed my tissues and dark glasses. I couldn't stop crying as I drove home from the theatre (probably a bit not good now that I think of it, might have had an accident) and I still get teary when I think about it or read about it.

What a sublime film. I can't do justice to it, I am not good at putting my feelings and thoughts into words, you guys have said it already anyway    This thread has been wonderful to read, it has added so much to my initial impressions. I haven't been able to look at all the links yet, but thank you to everyone who posted them. I wish I could go see the movie again, but I will probably have to wait until the DVD is available.

I have to say, I really think TIG is more deserving of the best motion picture award than Birdman. I just did not get that film, I found it boring for the most part. I'll try not to be bitter though 

Last edited by ukaunz (February 26, 2015 12:37 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 3, 2015 11:12 pm  #280

Here's some good news -

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-milestone-imitation-game-778902

The Imitation Game hit a milestone today when the latest calculations were tallied for global box office - over $200 million world wide! 

It is just shy of $87 million in the US/Canadian domestic markets (in the next few days it should surpass it) and has reached $115 million internationally (and counting).  

This is wonderful news! 

This means so much in the effort to reach a wider audience in able to spread the story of Turing and help in the current endeavour to see that a pardon is given all of those who suffered because of prejudice.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera