BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2015 4:50 pm  #241

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

The team behind the film was honoured at the Human Rights Campaign's NYC Gala. Here is a video including moving speeches by Joel Grey and Morten Tyldum as well as a video message by Benedict:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/109984932791/cumbertrekky-cast-and-filmmakers-from-the

http://deadline.com/2015/02/the-imitation-game-alan-turing-joel-grey-human-right-gala-1201364812/

Last edited by SusiGo (February 3, 2015 4:52 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 3, 2015 8:12 pm  #242

*wipes a tear away*

Now THAT is an award this film truly deserves! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 7, 2015 11:09 am  #243

I liked Alex Lawther a lot, he played the young Alan so very good.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 7, 2015 12:05 pm  #244

Oh yes, he did. All his appearance was very convincing 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 7, 2015 12:08 pm  #245

And I was astonished to hear that he and Benedict did not really discuss what they were going to do before. To me it really seemed like the same character in different stages of his life. Amazing. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 7, 2015 1:52 pm  #246

That scene when they put him under that wooden floor is so horrible. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 7, 2015 2:07 pm  #247

And true. 

February 7, 2015 2:43 pm  #248

SusiGo wrote:

And I was astonished to hear that he and Benedict did not really discuss what they were going to do before. To me it really seemed like the same character in different stages of his life. Amazing. 

That is so true. My boyfriend couldn't believe it when I told him, even while we were sitting watching the film he leaned over to me and said how very alike their performances are. And I especially love the scene when Alan learns of Christopher's death... the camera stays with him all the time, you can see everything that's going on in his face... amazing.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 7, 2015 9:23 pm  #249

That scene broke me down in so many ways. Alex did some amazing acting. He's a real talent. I can't wait to watch him evolve. 

I just hate it was a true scene... I've been put through something similar when I was in school a few times, and it's one of the worst things you can experience. 
It made me want to rush to his aid and knock over those idiots!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 8, 2015 9:04 am  #250

Went to see TIG yet again last week and yes, Alex is amazing. He has only few short scenes, but they are all crucial to our understanding of adult Turing and he was able to convey all the layers of his feeling beautifully. And actor to watch closely!

February 9, 2015 8:17 am  #251

This is a short video of Joan Clarke talking about Alan Turing. Quite moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2e9R7bXCk&spfreload=10

February 9, 2015 8:26 am  #252

Ah, thank you, Susi, for posting this link. Going to watch it during my lunch break.

Last edited by gently69 (February 9, 2015 8:27 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 10, 2015 8:06 pm  #253

This is nice piece by Sir John Dermot Turing (a nephew of Alan Turing) from the London Evening Standard that just came out Feb. 9/15 -

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/sir-john-dermot-turing-the-imitation-game-tells-the-full-story-of-my-codebreaking-uncle-10033536.html?origin=internalSearch

I really like that he is clearly in agreement with BC's interpretation (and all associated with the film) of his own blood relative.  That's high praise as far as I am concerned.  I'm going tomorrow to see it again (it's playing in a city about an hour and half away from our hometown).  Can't wait...

Here is the artical reproduced in long form for those who want to read it even if the link doesn't work -I sadly never had the opportunity to meet my uncle, Alan Turing. We share some very basic similarities — we both attended Sherborne and King’s College, Cambridge, both have an affinity for mathematics, both have ties to Bletchley Park — but that’s about it. I couldn’t possibly claim to have achieved anything in the realm of what he did, but nevertheless I’ve always considered my relation to him a tremendous source of pride.

If we were to ignore his presence in our family background, we’d be turning our backs on a link to one of history’s truly great men. This was a man who was confident, and some might say eccentric, enough to put his name to a letter to Winston Churchill requesting his help in getting additional resources to his codebreaking team (Churchill answered swiftly and forcefully in Alan’s favour). It’s also been said that Churchill believed Alan Turing and the codebreakers of Bletchley should be credited with the single biggest contribution to Allied victory in the war against Nazi Germany.

Do a quick Google search into the public tributes that he’s received and you’ll find a wealth of reasons to think that my uncle has been remembered to the utmost extent; there are foundations, streets, awards, museum exhibitions, theatre productions, TV movies and countless books out there bearing his name.

The Imitation Game brings Alan to life in a rather different way — Benedict Cumberbatch and the team behind it managed not just to remind us about all his innovations and their magnitude: they also succeeded in making Alan a living, breathing, feeling human being who was complicated, strange, brilliant, caring and staunch in his belief that he would live life as he chose to. He was not afraid to challenge conventions, nor did he shy away from his identity as a homosexual.

The film paints a new picture of my uncle and, at times, it is a bit heart- wrenching. This is not, of course, to diminish the importance of talking about his genius or the fact that he spared countless lives with his work during the Second World War — and the film is sure to thank him for all of that.

There was time, not all that many years ago, when I’m fairly certain that no one who hadn’t been specifically schooled in computer science had ever heard of Alan. That began to change back in 2009, when Prime Minister Gordon Brown issued him a formal apology on behalf of the UK government for the treatment he endured before his death. It happened again four years later, when the UK Government secured a royal pardon for the same reasons.

These were opportunities not just to acknowledge the absurdity of Alan’s treatment for being a gay man but also the means of reviving the discussion around his vast accomplishments. The Imitation Game is a moving tribute and brings out a side of Alan Turing which doesn’t readily come across in a history book or an encyclopedia page.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 10, 2015 8:10 pm  #254

Thank you for posting, what a moving article. So glad to know Alan's family appreciates the film. 

February 10, 2015 8:48 pm  #255

Benedict has said several times in interviews that the approval of Alan Turing's family is the best reward he could get for the role and it's so nice to see some of that approval. Thanks for bringing it, Val.

Last edited by REReader (February 10, 2015 8:48 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 10, 2015 9:28 pm  #256

REReader, with all that I have read and heard about TIG, I think the impact of seeing it again will hit me doubly hard tomorrow.  Ben has been a wonderful ambassador for the movie and for Turing (even with his busy schedule).  His genuine and passionate articulations have succinctly summed up Turing's social, technical, historical and human importance for the past, present and future. 

You can tell how proud he is to have been a part of this whole project and how it has made a profound imprint on him which has lead him to increased awareness and activism in this regard (re: his recent effforts to have pardons for the rest of those persecuted by an unjust law). 

I get the distinct impression that he really does care more about the work and the passion he feels for the subject of the film than the baubles that could be collected for it along the way (they are lovely bonus but not a matter of paramount importance to him as an endgame).

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 10, 2015 11:48 pm)

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 11, 2015 9:03 am  #257

In case anyone is interested in numbers. Not bad - 151 million dollars at the box office so far a film that allegedly cost 9.5 million pounds to make. And even better, it shows how man people they reached. This is amazing. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=imitationgame.htm

February 11, 2015 9:36 am  #258

Hey, that's good news. When I watched the film last sunday, I was surprised that there were also young people, around the age of sixteen I would guess. Also boys, which make me think that they were mainly interested in the story not into Benedict.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 12, 2015 6:09 pm  #259

Well, I got my chance to see it again the other day and I really enjoyed it all the more.

This time I could concentrate more on the performances of not just BC (because the first time I was just so thrilled to see him finally in this much anticipated part) but also the other actors.  I especially liked KK's performance. 

The first time I saw the scene of BC and KK when he breaks off their marriage and thus their friendship to protect her, I thought KK's acting was a bit jarring and OTT.  But I paid more attention this time to what had gone before with her performance and so when it came to that particular scene it fell nicely into place with her overall interpretation of the character.  KK certainly did infuse enough temper into her Joan Clarke beforehand to make the "monster" lines seem like something she would say as a reaction to his convincingly played "faux rejection" of her. 

I also think, after seeing it twice that all this nonsense about it trying to hide the gayness of Turing (there were certain critics who were distainful of the fact that there were no gay sex scenes shown in regards to Turing's lifestyle) is just that - utter nonsense.  

I thought the references to his sexuality were prominent enough to get the point across even with any titillating homosexual scenes (which I have no objection to at all if it fits well into the context of the film - it would not have done so in this film).  Like Cumberbatch's performance itself, dialogue concerning his homosexual behaviour was honest, poignant and well suited to the sophistication of the material and audience.  

And finally I do think they could have subtracted the "Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" line at least once for my personal tastes.  Twice would have been my maximum number and would have made a more dramatic impact, I think. 

I can't wait until I own a DVD of this so I can enjoy it all over again!

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 12, 2015 11:38 pm  #260

SusiGo wrote:

In case anyone is interested in numbers. Not bad - 151 million dollars at the box office so far a film that allegedly cost 9.5 million pounds to make. And even better, it shows how man people they reached. This is amazing. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=imitationgame.htm

I am very interested in the numbers for this movie SusiGo.  I have been tracking the film since it came out and it has (as they say in the business) very long "legs" it seems. 

The Imitation Game has a high retention rate and should last a very long time in the market place.  It has been out in wide release (over 1,000 screens) almost 5 weeks ago in the North American market (11 weeks since it limited release) and as of today has accumulated a boxoffice of $75,778,400 (USD). 

The overseas market is trickier to keep up to date on (reporting of the smaller markets is spotty).  But the figures on Box Office Mojo are significantly behind even at $77 million.  The film has been released in 47 markets worldwide and yet we are only seeing 10 of them on BOM. 

Some of the biggest markets are yet to be included in the BOM stats - Brazil, Germany, France, Spain among others, so I have to believe it is beyond the $77million mark. 

And Japan is yet to come (release date is scheduled for March 13th) - BC has a solid following in that country. 

It is astounding for such a small budget movie really.  I totally agree with you - it really shows how many people they have managed to reach.  Astounding indeed!

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera