BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2015 7:53 pm  #181

Re: The Imitation Game (spoiler thread for those who have seen it)

Saw it today, what a beautiful film. You laugh, you cry, wonderful acting by BC. And although he can be an ass, you are always on his side. And even Keira didn't annoy me like she usually does.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 25, 2015 10:39 pm  #182

I watched it again tonight. A maths professor gave an interesting introduction and answered questions afterwards. And guess what, they had an original 1934 Enigma machine and I even got the chance to press a letter. You had to wear gloves for it. The cinema was sold out and they will repeat the event on 1 March. In case anyone lives near Bonn - highly recommended. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 25, 2015 10:52 pm  #183

Oh wow.  Susi that's just awesome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 26, 2015 7:54 am  #184

Yes, it was amazing to touch an original machine. 

And here are some small obversations about the film:

And a small thing I love every time - when Hugh fetches Joan to dance you see Alan's face in close-up. He first looks quite happy and then you can literally see how he starts to think about Hugh's sex joke and the  what consequences his proposal to Joan might have and he turns sad. The wonderful thing is that he does not change his expression, he does not move an inch, and yet you can see that something in him has broken. 

And another thing - I think in the Carlisle scene you can see very well how Benedict's tears are real and Matthew Beard's (who is wonderful here) are not. Because whenever Benedict cries in a film his eyes turn red and those of the other actors who use glycerine or whatever do not.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 26, 2015 8:44 am  #185

SusiGo wrote:

And guess what, they had an original 1934 Enigma machine and I even got the chance to press a letter.

That really sounds amazing. Makes it even more real. Wow. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 26, 2015 8:52 am  #186

Yes, and it was a surprise, I only knew about the lecture by the maths professor, not that they would provide a real machine. 

Btw, in case anyone is interested - so far Benedict got 22 best actor nominations for the film. He won only once but still, a remarkable achievement. 

January 26, 2015 9:20 am  #187

SusiGo wrote:

I watched it again tonight. A maths professor gave an interesting introduction and answered questions afterwards. And guess what, they had an original 1934 Enigma machine and I even got the chance to press a letter. You had to wear gloves for it. The cinema was sold out and they will repeat the event on 1 March. In case anyone lives near Bonn - highly recommended. 

Yeah, that was an interesting event. Different to a normal film night. And yes, the original Enigma machine was fascinating.

SusiGo wrote:

And another thing - I think in the Carlisle scene you can see very well how Benedict's tears are real and Matthew Beard's (who is wonderful here) are not. Because whenever Benedict cries in a film his eyes turn red and those of the other actors who use glycerine or whatever do not.

As you're mentioning it, yes, it's really amazing how Benedict can cry just beccause he wants to. Makes these scenes even more convincing.

Last edited by gently69 (January 26, 2015 9:21 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 26, 2015 9:48 am  #188

The movie will finally have a premiere here where I live this week. About time - for me it feels as if it came after hundreds of years, the waiting was soooo long.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 26, 2015 9:51 am  #189

gently69 wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

As you're mentioning it, yes, it's really amazing how Benedict can cry just beccause he wants to. Makes these scenes even more convincing.

Oh yes, it's the process that makes it so believable. I mean, a lot of actors can do this, but with Benedict it seems to come so natural... you can literally see how he begins to tear up, how his eyes turn red... Khan also is a perfect example for that. It's as if he weren't acting at all, it's genuine crying. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 26, 2015 9:56 am  #190

What's the Carlisle scene again? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 26, 2015 10:01 am  #191

After they cracked Enigma and realise that an attack on a convoy with civilians on board is imminent.

January 26, 2015 10:05 am  #192

Oh, yes. That was a very strong scene.

I need to rewatch this movie soon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 26, 2015 10:07 am  #193

SolarSystem wrote:

It's as if he weren't acting at all, it's genuine crying. 

I think he is really able to "feel" the situations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 26, 2015 10:09 am  #194

And if you hear what he said about filming the last scene with Keira. Oh, my. 

January 26, 2015 10:13 am  #195

Unbelievable, isn't it?

(Tony Hadley)

January 26, 2015 10:16 am  #196

SusiGo wrote:

And if you hear what he said about filming the last scene with Keira. Oh, my. 

I know, this makes that last scene so hard for me to watch, harder than just the scene itself. 

Team Hudders!

January 26, 2015 10:23 am  #197

January 26, 2015 10:28 am  #198

Yes, that was I was thinking when I saw TIG. It's an amazing connection, because they are literally talking about the same thing.

Team Hudders!

January 26, 2015 10:34 am  #199

Just spotted it on your tumblr, Susi. Really interesting.

(Tony Hadley)

January 26, 2015 10:36 am  #200

Do you really think Matthew wasn't genuinely crying? I would expect all good actors (and even not-so-good ones, under an excellent director) to be able to make themselves genuinely cry. Perhaps some people just cry differently. That said, an actor has to feel 'safe' on set (principally the director's job) to be able to do this sort of thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera