BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2014 10:03 am  #81

Re: Benedict's Engagement

I usually avoid otter gifs but this reaction to Ben´s engagement just made my day:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 6, 2014 11:13 am  #82

Turner, Hunter, who cares.. 

November 6, 2014 11:27 am  #83

I love this "old fashioned" way, the engagement was puplished. I don´t know why, but I think BC is very traditional in familiar affairs. So the question comes to my mind  how he made his proposal of marriage: At home or another place that was very important for both of them falling to his knees and asked her, or offered a ring during a romantic candle light dinner? Of course this was a very intimate and private moment and I don´t want it to become public, but a little fantasy and dreaming of my own would be allowed, or not?

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 6, 2014 11:27 am  #84

Zatoichi wrote:

Imagine the initial surprise of this lady, through.
"What - I got engaged with Benedict Cumberbatch? When did it happen? Was I drunk last night or what?"

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 6, 2014 11:28 am  #85

Neferu wrote:

I love this "old fashioned" way, the engagement was puplished. I don´t know why, but I think BC is very traditional in familiar affairs. So the question comes to my mind  how he made his proposal of marriage: At home or another place that was very important for both of them falling to his knees and asked her, or offered a ring during a romantic candle light dinner? Of course this was a very intimate and private moment and I don´t want it to become public, but a little fantasy and dreaming of my own would be allowed, or not?

Some romantic gesture did take place, I bet.

November 6, 2014 11:50 am  #86

nakahara wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

Imagine the initial surprise of this lady, through.
"What - I got engaged with Benedict Cumberbatch? When did it happen? Was I drunk last night or what?"

When I got married I had a colleague with the same last name as hubby.
I didn't think of any problems until he stormed into my office one day asking: "Couldn't you have married someone else???" Apparantly a lot of colleagues wanted to congratulate him for days. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 6, 2014 1:33 pm  #87

Surely the custom of posting a notice of an engagement in newspapers is far older than the 1920s--IIRC, it was the standard thing to do in Jane Austen's time, possibly earlier...

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

November 6, 2014 1:40 pm  #88

And I made the effort to post a screenshot of that Tweet in post #64 yesterday evening while half asleep , feel a bit ignored right now .....

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 6, 2014 1:51 pm  #89

Don't feel ignored, Ivy. I saw your post yesterday and thought it was very funny - but at the time I did not know who Sophie Turner was.  Now I do, so it's even funnier.  Plenty of room for same information posts here, IMO.  Sometimes I don't have time to scroll through everything so I'm happy to catch info where I can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 6, 2014 1:56 pm  #90

Ivy wrote:

And I made the effort to post a screenshot of that Tweet in post #64 yesterday evening while half asleep , feel a bit ignored right now .....

Oh sorry, dear.
Didn't mean to ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 6, 2014 3:35 pm  #91

I am very happy for Ben.  I love the fact that they were friends for years before actually dating.  I think friendship is a wonderful foundation for a marriage.  From what I've seen and heard of Sophie they seem well matched.  And I am as excited as anyone to think of Benedict finally becoming a father.

That said, I'm going to be brutally honest and admit that I was a bit bummed out when I first heard the news.  Most of you know that I have had a rough year and one thing that I found some distraction in was my perfect fantasy Ben.  I was having a particularly bad day the day of the announcemnt and yes, the emotional fangirl that lives inside of me was a bit heartbroken. 

Now I say this with the full knowledge that it's not a rational repsonse and that Benedict Cumberbatch is a real person wihose life and happiness has nothing to do with me.  I would never ever stop being his fan or whine and cry on social media.  But emotions aren't rational and I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge my little fangirls emotions.

In the end the emotions will pass and I will still love BC for all the joy he's given me and I hope that he gets everything he wants out of life.

I hope this doesn't lessen anyone's opinion of me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 6, 2014 3:44 pm  #92

tonnaree, I feel a little bit the same. I think it's just ok to have some oooops-emotions and need some time to adjust. And still be a reasonable and grown up person nevertheless.
((((((((((((hug)))))))))))

Last edited by Harriet (November 6, 2014 3:44 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 6, 2014 3:52 pm  #93

Oh, tonnaree, you are so brave to tell us and I think many of us feel a tiny bit sad while wishing him all the happiness in the world. Let me hug you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 6, 2014 4:01 pm  #94

Same for me. In the first momet I was shocked and a little bit sad for me, although I´m glad for the both to the same time. But isn´t it an aspect of beeing a fan, that in your fantasy "your man" is closer to you than ever in reality will be? I think it´s normal and okay as long as it is only a daydream and you know the difference between the fantasy and reality. Of course I can have my daydreams anymore, but it is a little bit harder to get lost in those dreams in the knowlede the "object of desire" is in fixed hands now. But i´m sure I will handle that.

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 6, 2014 4:57 pm  #95

tonnaree, it's all fine. I'll admit that I was a bit gobsmacked there for a moment, although I didn't feel sad or anything. It was more like 'Oh, really? Is that going to change anything now?'. It probably won't, he'll still do his work, we'll still get interviews and movies and "Sherlock" and basically everything we got from him until now. And we still can have our little fantasies.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 6, 2014 5:05 pm  #96

Thank you guys.  Thanks for understanding, and especially the hugs.   Hugs are always good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 6, 2014 5:12 pm  #97

*hugs tonnaree* the sadness has been there for me too, I know what you feel...

Those otters are adorable btw! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 6, 2014 6:12 pm  #98

Let me chime in here too.  I said to Harriet yesterday that it doesn't make any kind of realistic sense for any of us to be sad or depressed that Ben is now "off the market".  None of us had any kind of shot with him, obviously; but I guess there is a certain amount of fantasy and a feeling that somehow we'd like him to belong exclusively to "us" and not to someone else.  Again, it makes no sense, and even though we are expressing happiness for him, I think deep down, in the very secret places of the heart, there is sadness for some of us that he is now with someone else and no longer "available".

Something else - I was reading somewhere on line where fans were discussing how poorly his ex-girlfriend, Olivia Poulet, had treated his fans and that they felt Sophie Hunter would be much kinder, and in no way shape or form mean to the fans.  I don't remember hearing anything about Olivia treating fans badly but this could have been a bit before my time following Ben/Sherlock stuff on line.  Does anyone know this story?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 6, 2014 6:15 pm  #99

KeepersPrice wrote:

Don't feel ignored, Ivy. I saw your post yesterday and thought it was very funny - but at the time I did not know who Sophie Turner was. Now I do, so it's even funnier. Plenty of room for same information posts here, IMO. Sometimes I don't have time to scroll through everything so I'm happy to catch info where I can.

gently69 wrote:

Oh sorry, dear.
Didn't mean to ... 

It's all good, I constantly overlook something.

Is anyone watching The Colbert Report? I love Stephen, he or his team posted this 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 6, 2014 9:18 pm  #100

I would never have a chance with Benedict, even if I'd been a bit younger and same age as him. I think he's adorable and cute and lovely and charming, but I also know I'd never be able to keep up with him, he'd be bored with me pretty quick and I'd be miserable   Plus I'd be lost in his environment with the influential and artistic and skilled people I imagine he hangs around with -- again, I'd be miserable.
So nah, I am very happy for Ben and there's no heartbreak here. I am single and would love to meet someone who has some of the same charm and humour and looks as he does  But as for Benedict himself I am happy to admire him from afar and be entertained.
And he has given me so much joy with his work and his personality and made me smile so much, especially this past year when I've really needed to smile, and I'm really glad to see happiness come his way.

Board footera