BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2014 10:10 pm  #61

Re: Benedict's Engagement

Well, I do not find it very funny or necessary but as long as it is not insulting, go ahead. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 5, 2014 10:14 pm  #62

I'll not share the one I found... because it offended me to be honest. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 5, 2014 10:17 pm  #63

Thank you, Phantom. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 5, 2014 10:17 pm  #64

besleybean wrote:

The relationship rumour 1st came out in April and I believed it immediately.
Benedict and Sophie were 1st pictured together in June, but I still wasn't convinced she was the one.
There were a couple more sightings a few months ago...
But the absolute confirmation was when Sophie accompanied Benedict to James Rhodes wedding.
Then there was the engagement rumour..
I actually thought it might happen next year, so they were quicker than I thought!

She went with him to Hay and that was in May, I think? There was a picture.
But there are rumours they've been together for a while. It seems quick, but since they apparently have been friends for years, maybe it's not so quick after all 

November 5, 2014 10:19 pm  #65

Edgeucated wrote:

MartaSt wrote:

I'm very happy that he has engaged and I wish them good luck and everything that's best. But you know what? I'm even more happy that they managed to keep their relationship in private. I think it's good that at least some aspect of Ben's private life stood hidden from media, he deserves a little privacy 

And I agree with you Phantom - fans who are acting like that aren't fans at all (and probably never were)

This! And I've seen a lot of comments in a style of "omg! I feel so betrayed and I 'm gonna lock myself in my room and cry for hundred years cos I 've been in love with him and now all my dreams are crushed etc." I mean, seriously? Geez!

I know. Some fans are being unkind. BC is just like the rest of us and is entitled to a private life and to get married if he chooses too. He is a handsome and gorgeous actor. I love his films / TV shows. I hope he and Sophie will be very happy together.  ,

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

November 5, 2014 10:21 pm  #66

No worries Susie, I wouldn't have in the first place either... 

Honestly... I don't care what people want to call them (just not that one thing... it sounds like a nickname from a sexchat)... I doubt the fanbase could even agree... and what does it matter? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 5, 2014 10:22 pm  #67

I've seen some such ridiculous comments from fans, but I have to say, most of the comments I've seen have been well wishes and people being very happy for them 
Papers always want to post the worst ones, I think.

November 5, 2014 10:53 pm  #68

I like the fact that none of the friends like Tom, Amanda, Simon or Loo have written any comments about it on Twitter.

*LOL* I mean her surname is not even Turner

Last edited by Ivy (November 5, 2014 10:58 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 5, 2014 11:11 pm  #69

Congratulations to both of them! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

November 5, 2014 11:36 pm  #70

They make a beautiful couple!  And their kids are going to be amazing!
As for when will he have time for a wedding; if it's anything like in America, essentially all he has to do is show up.  Sophie and the mums will have everything under control.  (is that sexist? )
A December 25th wedding would be lovely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 6, 2014 6:37 am  #71

See this is where it gets messy...
You all know my views on marriage...I hope!
I don't know who went for the official announcement.
But really?
They are an independent  38 year old man and an independent 36 year old woman,.
I hope they have the sense to do what they want and mummies(or daddies) won't be involved at all

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 6, 2014 7:07 am  #72

But what if they WANT their mums to be involved?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 6, 2014 8:22 am  #73

Then they wouldn't be independent, of course. You just can't be independent as long as mummy is involved in any part of your life, especially marriage! Don't you know anything, gently...?
(And that was, just in case, irony.)

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 6, 2014 8:22 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 6, 2014 8:30 am  #74

Irony? Glad you mentioned that because ... 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

November 6, 2014 8:32 am  #75

Benedict seems to have a very close and loving relationship with his parents so I really do not see why they should not be included. I think one should not mix one's own personal views on the institution of marriage with those other people may have. 

November 6, 2014 8:47 am  #76

Well, announcing the engagement in The Times is a very, traditional traditional kind of thing to do. Although the announcement itself is worded less traditionally. I have to say I laughed at the thought that they would HAVE to get married! Lordy! Really? I don't think so...

Anyway, I think they make a lovely couple and wish them many years of happiness. Anyone who has lost the plot on this (not on this forum but you know in the parallel universe some people inhabit) needs a personality transplant!   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 6, 2014 8:55 am  #77

Usually I'm not that keen on tradition, but in this case... someone 'in the parallel universe' said that it's lovely to have this announced not via twitter or facebook but in a paper, just like in 1927. And I agree. It just fits.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 6, 2014 8:58 am  #78

I´ve read that Benedict´s parents made that newspaper announcement - so it´s not that surprising that they chose a traditional method, IMHO. I agree that it fits.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 6, 2014 8:58 am  #79

Yes, Solar, that was what really suits  Benedict. An "old fashioned" printed announcement.

(Tony Hadley)

November 6, 2014 9:49 am  #80

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera