BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2015 3:01 pm  #381

Re: Benedict's Engagement

I think it was wise and responsible to notify the organizers of Sherlocked, but now that they've been alerted I don't think there's anything much to worry about--not because such people are harmless, but because such people and their fixations on certain celebrities is not at all uncommon, so security is more alert to the danger than they used to be.

(At least she's only threatening to show up at a public event--some show up at or in their stalkees houses of worship or even their homes. It's more than a bit not good.)

Last edited by REReader (March 10, 2015 3:49 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 11, 2015 12:11 am  #382

Wow. This is horridly sick...I had to force myself to read through the whole "article", just to see what kind of "demands" ("demands", seriously? Who in their right mind would "demand" anything from another human being?!) this person had in mind...but I just kept on reading, not wanting to understand anything further than "I am crazy. Please put me in an institution"...I am so disgusted. Repelled. Shocked. Appalled.

Vhanja wrote:

I might be overreacting, but I just sent a very politely-worded e-mail with a link to this blog to Sherlocked, to make them aware that this person might attend the convention.

Thank you for that, Vhanja, you were quite right, I think, to notify them. I sincerely hope they'll be on the lookout for this person and any of their like""""""minded""""" mates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 16, 2015 6:53 pm  #383

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 16, 2015 7:03 pm  #384

Is it ok to say that there are so many good reasons to love her, and her sense of dresses is one of the least important to me?   

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 16, 2015 7:22 pm  #385

I agree, but I've read a lot of hate since the baby news (I avoid certain sites and tags now) , so I like every bit of positivity towards her. 

----------

March 16, 2015 7:27 pm  #386

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 16, 2015 7:30 pm  #387

I completely agree, Harriet. But, like Ivy said, it is good to read some Sophie love

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 16, 2015 7:53 pm  #388

Nice article, thank you so much, Ivy. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 16, 2015 9:36 pm  #389

It's great to see some positivity! I love sophie! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 16, 2015 11:24 pm  #390

It would be hard for her to look bad in anything, because she's young, healthy, happy and has a natural model's body--  tall and slim. Women like her (gorgeous, fit, slim) would look good in plain paper bags, but put them in a designer gown, and yowsa!

March 17, 2015 1:06 am  #391

I also agree that it is wonderful to read some lovely positive things about Sophie.  Thanks for posting this. 

She does look great in what she wears (just like Ben looks great in whatever he wears - including brightly coloured jogging clothes! ).  I like her sense of style.  It's very individualistic (and just like Ben she doesn't seem too concerned with the latest rage).

She dresses chic without being vulgar and she seems to go for clothes with pockets in them (which I personally love).  Also, like Ben, she doesn't seem too concerned with being seen in clothes that she has been photographed in many times before.  They seem to have a lot in common and their clothes sense seem to be one of them.  That's something that happens to bring a smile to my face. 

With all the completely unfounded and vile things I have seen said in the comments sections of newspapers and in other places about Sophie (for no other reason than she and Ben have fallen in love, decided to have a child and marry) it is really refreshing to see a light-hearted article pointing out how lovely she looks.  I think this article goes quite nicely hand-in-hand with the multious comments and pictures we already have here about the clothes Ben wears (jackets, suits, swim trunks, shirts, jeans, sweaters, ties, socks... etc).

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 17, 2015 4:34 am  #392

Agree to all of the above about looking great plus positivity!  And can I just add that as much as I love how fun and pretty and stylish both are (even Ben's well-familiar casual stuff we like), I find it even neater how in all those event pictures, aside from the obvious vibe of 'together-ness', those two are so great at even fashionably pairing!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 17, 2015 4:37 am  #393

Russell wrote:

Agree to all of the above about looking great plus positivity! And can I just add that as much as I love how fun and pretty and stylish both are (even Ben's well-familiar casual stuff we like), I find it even neater how in all those event pictures, aside from the obvious vibe of 'together-ness', those two are so great at even fashionably pairing!

It  is possible that they have the same stylist. A few months ago, when she publicly came out as his significant other, and especially considering that she'd then have to dress for the red carpet and appear at charity events, etc, with him, it's very possible that his stylist took her on as a client.

Or perhaps they just look good together because they're both class acts, and class always shows. Yeah, that's probably it.

March 17, 2015 5:18 am  #394

Yeah, that's probably it. 
(very likely, but it's still cool.  even being as simple as going 'hey hon, what color are you going with tonight?' and matching, but would still need to zone in on event wardrobe items that go with what your partner has, too (which is probably stylist).  just love how well they pull it off.  besides being class acts) 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 24, 2015 4:29 pm  #395

There is a lovely write-up on Sophie's wedding dress in April 2015 issue of Vogue.  Ben is mentioned in a couple of lines, but mostly it is about the concept and details that went into the dress. 

I don't know if it is allowed here to link to blogs, but the link I have listed below is to the Benophie Daily Blog which has the artilcle featured in readable fashion, if you scroll down just a bit...

http://benophiedaily.tumblr.com/

She and Ben sound like they are a great match and I am sure they both were very happy on their special day together with their friends and families.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

March 24, 2015 4:34 pm  #396

What a gorgeous dress!! 

And can I say, I'm happy this is the first I see of it. Their own choice <3

She was a beautiful bride!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 24, 2015 4:50 pm  #397

Ah-chie: Thank you for the link. Of course it is allowed to link to blogs. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 24, 2015 4:54 pm  #398

It's beautiful! Thank you for finding it for us, Val.

I was particularly struck by how she contributed just the right elements to the design process--she obviously knows what designers find useful (and what they don't!). And how lovely that Benedict picked out the engagement ring (I know many couples prefer to choose one together, but it's more romantic the other way!)--I hadn't realized it was a sapphire, she tends to keep her hands hidden in photos--and that her brother designed the wedding rings.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 24, 2015 5:18 pm  #399

I enjoyed those details too REReader.  It doesn't surprise me that Ben picked out the ring (and that it was just the type that Sophie obviously loved).  He seems like a very romantic person. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

March 24, 2015 6:49 pm  #400

I don't like it that much, because I have a problem with lace. Reminds me always of the curtains in my grandparents garden house. 

----------

Board footera