BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2015 8:03 pm  #301

Re: Benedict's Engagement

Apparently Benedict had to protect Sophie at LAX airport from reporters who wouldn't give them space.

GRRR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 13, 2015 8:04 pm  #302

I'm just wondering... why do journalists think they have the right to disturb people outside of their work? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 13, 2015 8:12 pm  #303

I know Sophie realised what she was taking on...
But to harrass a pregnant lady is a bit low.

Last edited by besleybean (January 13, 2015 8:12 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2015 11:06 pm  #304

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Apparently Benedict had to protect Sophie at LAX airport from reporters who wouldn't give them space. GRRR

He's an A-lister now, and it sounds as though it's time for him to make special arrangements for himself and those who are with him when he knows he'll have to go where the paps will be. A-listers don't often go through public airport concourses anymore-- there are special, restricted-access entryways and exits for celebs, away from prying public eyes, in airports like LAX. Ben doesn't have the luxury of moving unaccosted through public places anymore, not if he doesn't want scenes like the one you describe here. Like it or not, the paps are here to stay, and a Ben sighting means big money to them now-- especially when he has Sophie there with him.

January 13, 2015 11:09 pm  #305

Vhanja wrote:

I'm just wondering... why do journalists think they have the right to disturb people outside of their work? 

I presume these weren't journalists; they were paparazzi. The paps are in public places anywhere celebs might be spotted, they're a fact of life, they're not doing anything illegal, and therefore they're not going to go away. Ben knows this; all celebs know it. It's a hassle and perhaps an added expense to avoid them, but it can be done, especially in a place like LAX, which is Celeb Central in the airport world.

January 14, 2015 8:10 am  #306

I made a mistake to watch the video taken at the airport and was horrified. The aggressiveness and vulgarity of these human vultures are byond belief. It's not just taking pics, it almost a physical attack, a tangible harassement. And they shout insults, hoping to extort some angry answer. Apparently they were shouting "Ben where is your Golden Globe" or something like this.

January 14, 2015 9:32 am  #307

ancientsgate wrote:

I presume these weren't journalists; they were paparazzi. The paps are in public places anywhere celebs might be spotted, they're a fact of life, they're not doing anything illegal, and therefore they're not going to go away. Ben knows this; all celebs know it. It's a hassle and perhaps an added expense to avoid them, but it can be done, especially in a place like LAX, which is Celeb Central in the airport world.

I know about paps, I just think it's so incredibly rude.

Also, I'm considering taking a break from Tumblr. The cruelty from so-called "fans" is beyond belief, it makes me sick to my stomach. What is wrong with people?

Last edited by Vhanja (January 14, 2015 9:36 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 11:06 am  #308

Well, I somehow managed to escape most of the bad stuff. I think you have to choose carefully who to follow. I unfollow every blog mention the "fake" engagement. And you can use tumblr saviour to avoid unwanted tags which is quite useful. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2015 11:08 am  #309

I don't follow any of these nutters or any rude tags, and I don't click on and read any kind of ridiculous argument about it. All I get is second-hand, because everyone I follow support Ben and Sophie and thus it comes up when they are defending the couple. But just that is enough to make me ill. 

Last edited by Vhanja (January 14, 2015 11:09 am)

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 11:47 am  #310

True. I accidentally stumbled over some things that are really terrible. Ridiculous and delusional. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2015 12:16 pm  #311

Yeah.. as long as it´s only ridiculous tumblr-posts I guess he doesn´t mind too much, but as there have always been celebs whose quality of life has seriously been limited by crazies and stalkers I really hope he and Sophie will be spared from such excesses.. (reminds me of a program I watched about a band (Phantom´s favourite ;P) whose life and tours were made hell by a group of teenage girls.. it was scary!)

January 14, 2015 1:08 pm  #312

Hopefully, as long as it's just ridiculous tumblr-posts, he will never hear about it. Because he doesn't spend much time on such sites at all, from what I understand. Which is a good thing, I see now.

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 4:07 pm  #313

I never watched the video from the airport... I just knew I'd end up having an even worse fit than what I did when I heard about it.

Teenage girls these days are scary on the internet. *shudders*.
I'm only 24 ( soon 25) and I feel like an old woman when I complain. I don't know what happened... I don't rememer being like that. 
I've never used Tumblr, unless someone here posts a link to some blog. But from what I hear and see I'm never going to start either. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 14, 2015 4:10 pm  #314

Well, granted, when I was 16 years old, me and a friend of my behaved the same. Our favorite rock band crush had gotten married, and we hated her with a teenager-y passion. But luckily for us, there were no internet back then. At least not in the way it is today. So no one heard our childish, jealous rants but ourselves. 

So I view these things about Sophie as the same. Any woman Ben would be enganged to would get the same treatment. The problem is that these days the juvenile harshness is there for everyone to see, which - thank God! - it wasn't in my day.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 14, 2015 4:10 pm)

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 4:22 pm  #315

Vhanja wrote:

Well, granted, when I was 16 years old, me and a friend of my behaved the same. Our favorite rock band crush had gotten married, and we hated her with a teenager-y passion. But luckily for us, there were no internet back then. At least not in the way it is today. So no one heard our childish, jealous rants but ourselves. 

So I view these things about Sophie as the same. Any woman Ben would be enganged to would get the same treatment. The problem is that these days the juvenile harshness is there for everyone to see, which - thank God! - it wasn't in my day.

^^^^Exactly! 

I was once young and stupid and I did and said things that I am not proud of.  But sadly the internet has given the young and stupid a world wide platform for their foolishness.  Can think of no way to make it go away but it should be ignored when ever possible and called out when it can't be ignored.

I love the internet for the good things it has brought to my life but I am also grateful that it wasn't around back when.  I would die if there were a permenant virtual record of my youthful indiscretions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 14, 2015 4:26 pm  #316

tonnaree wrote:

I would die if there were a permenant virtual record of my youthful indiscretions.

You have no idea how grateful I am for internet not existing when I was young. Oh my God. 

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2015 4:31 pm  #317

Vhanja wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I would die if there were a permenant virtual record of my youthful indiscretions.

You have no idea how grateful I am for internet not existing when I was young. Oh my God. 

Yes, yes I do.  *giggle*

*remembers that party invitation that said "costume required/clothing optional"*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 14, 2015 5:30 pm  #318

I am certain Benedict has the sense to ignore the idiot side of the fandom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2015 6:38 pm  #319

besleybean wrote:

I am certain Benedict has the sense to ignore the idiot side of the fandom.

And he is certainly well-aware that that sort of thing is not representative of the great majority of his fans. After all, he was quite sure that most of them (erm, us) would love Sophie because he does, remember?

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 14, 2015 7:14 pm  #320

Aw.

Board footera