BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2015 8:06 pm  #241

Re: Benedict's Engagement

I doubt this pregancy was an accident. They are not 20 anymore. And she doesn't exactly look like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

I'm relieved that the future Mrs Cumberbatch is a highly intelligent, normal (and not bad) looking woman who has both feet on the ground. The worst would have been a replaceable model type who has nothing to say. He would have bored to death. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 8, 2015 8:20 pm  #242

Mod's note: 
This is a friendly and respectful place. People may think about the engagement whatever they want, but I do not tolerate such opinions in here. Sadly there is enough of this stuff all over the Internet but please not on this board. If you like Benedict, you should respect his way of living instead of spreading negativitiy. And thank you to the members who addressed this before I noticed. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 8, 2015 8:23 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2015 8:44 pm  #243

I would like to add that...Being that a) Benedict wants children, and b) Benedict doesn't have children littering the countryside, we can safely assume that c) Benedict isn't making babies accidentally. (People do know what causes that, nowadays.)

ETA: Sophie is rather lovely in a quiet way--very like Benedict, in fact.

Last edited by REReader (January 8, 2015 8:45 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 8, 2015 8:50 pm  #244

I think Sophie looks lovely, and I wish the both of them all the best. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 8, 2015 9:10 pm  #245

I honestly think Sophie suits Benedict. I wish them all the happiness in the world. 

Last year when I wrote a letter to Benedict to go with the socks I ended it with "I wish you all the happiness in the world, what ever that means to you"

And I'd like to believe that's what he got. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 8, 2015 9:21 pm  #246

Sorry - you wrote Benedict a letter to go with the socks...?!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 8, 2015 9:23 pm  #247

Some of the girls here on the forum sent him socks... I'm not sure he ever got them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 8, 2015 9:24 pm  #248

I think that's rather sweet!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 8, 2015 9:30 pm  #249

Aaaw, that's cute!

Team Hudders!

January 8, 2015 9:34 pm  #250

Charming! I really hope he got them.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 8, 2015 9:46 pm  #251

I´m surprised that those weird malevolent opinions about Benedict and Sophie and the pregnancy leaked even here. Please, consider:

Benedict always wanted children. 
Here are some of his words on the subject:

http://cumbertrekky.tumblr.com/post/107441171646/botanycameos-bennybatch-bennybatch-i

He is a man 38 years old. He knows what he is doing and he has means to care both for his wife and a child.

They are a very good match according to every category you can think of.

Sophie is quite lovely. In France this kind of beauty (naturally looking and without the overuse of cosmetics) is much more admired than in the UK, but it can´t be so strange in Britain either.

So please, don´t spread rumours. It´s undignified and mean.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 8, 2015 9:49 pm  #252

nakahara wrote:

He knows what he is doing and he has means to care both for his wife and a child.

Which Sophie doesn't depend on at all, she can take care of herself and the child, don't forget that 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 8, 2015 9:52 pm  #253

Quite so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 8, 2015 9:53 pm  #254

Harriet wrote:

nakahara wrote:

He knows what he is doing and he has means to care both for his wife and a child.

Which Sophie doesn't depend on at all, she can take care of herself and the child, don't forget that

I never forgot that. 

It just seems to me some people perceive Benedict as an irresponsible teenager who got his poor girlfriend into "trouble" and now they will both live under the bridge in a cardboard box. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 9, 2015 5:57 am  #255

Schmiezi wrote:

Dear kaye,
being a bit fangirlishly jealous is alright, but please stop with this negative stuff about Sophie. This forum is very proud on being a nice, friendly place. Please help us keeping it this way. Thank you.

Kaye was just keeping it real. We share all kinds of emotions here, or at least, we should be able to. It's not like Ben or Sophie will ever hear our opinions, or that they'd care at all if they did, right? I dunno. I don't think it's "negative" to observe that Sophie doesn't have the (20-something, blonde, stacked) appearance of a woman one might expect to see on the arm of an A-lister. In fact, I think she actually looks like his sister!  *smile*  The important thing is, he loves her, he chose her, and he knows her below the skin, as it were, which we never will. I think she has the same level of physical attractiveness as he does. His best, true attractiveness is more soul-deep IMO-- his intelligence, wit, "niceness", gentlemanliness and work ethic/talent are all what shine out of him. And because he's no kid, I choose to believe he knew (and knows) exactly who he chose as a lifemate and mom to his first child.

Just my two cents, marked down from five.

January 9, 2015 5:59 am  #256

Ivy wrote:

I doubt this pregancy was an accident. They are not 20 anymore. And she doesn't exactly look like the hunchback of Notre Dame. I'm relieved that the future Mrs Cumberbatch is a highly intelligent, normal (and not bad) looking woman who has both feet on the ground. The worst would have been a replaceable model type who has nothing to say. He would have bored to death. 

What she said. *points at Ivy* 

And anyway, it's absolutely none of our business who he picks for what or why or when or anything else. Everything on this thread is just speculation, if you get right down to it.

January 9, 2015 6:47 am  #257

Yes, but some of us are being supportive,
I am just glad Susi made a mod post.

January 9, 2015 7:18 am  #258

Can I just add this:
some years ago I watched something on television, where there was a study mentioned that when choosing your partner you subconsciously look for matching and similar physical features. A team of reporters went to a shopping mall and picked some couples randomly. They took pictures from their faces and matched halves of it. The results were astounding, older couples or the ones very much at ease with each other matched very much. Other ones admitted they had some rows or were not a couple for very long yet. Of course this is neither statistically significant nor a proper set up but somehow made an impression. Just mentioning this, because ag mentioned their physical similarity.
I have no doubt that they are made for each other. And although I liked him very much with Olivia this really really really seems to be his other half.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 9, 2015 7:45 am  #259

ancientsgate wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Dear kaye,
being a bit fangirlishly jealous is alright, but please stop with this negative stuff about Sophie. This forum is very proud on being a nice, friendly place. Please help us keeping it this way. Thank you.

Kaye was just keeping it real. We share all kinds of emotions here, or at least, we should be able to. It's not like Ben or Sophie will ever hear our opinions, or that they'd care at all if they did, right? I dunno. I don't think it's "negative" to observe that Sophie doesn't have the (20-something, blonde, stacked) appearance of a woman one might expect to see on the arm of an A-lister. .... 

In general you're right, but this is negative, imo.
Maybe there is just missing a little "imo" or "I think", but without it I find this very negative.
She didn't point out that "thank God, Sophie isn't like the 20-something, blonde, stacked model girl", but she actually said:

"Sophie is not attractive ( yes, superficial and catty, I know)...."

"...and also kind of bumbed out that it's now obvious the reason they got engaged was because she is pregnantOne is left to wonder is she was not pregnant, if they would even be engaged at all."

WHAT? I mean, WHAT? How does anybody here know why they got engaged? It is obvious?? 

Of course people can express their opinions, but I feel bad reading things which are written that way.

But the mod already did what she had to do, so back to topic:

I do like Sophie from what I've seen so far. I didn't like "the others" between Olivia and Sophie that much. But even then I couldn't tell what character those girls had. 
So, maybe Sophie is the right one, maybe she's not... you never know. At least to me it looks very promising  ; and I wish them all the best! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 9, 2015 8:19 am  #260

nakahara wrote:

Harriet wrote:

nakahara wrote:

I never forgot that. 

It just seems to me some people perceive Benedict as an irresponsible teenager who got his poor girlfriend into "trouble" and now they will both live under the bridge in a cardboard box. 

Too ridiculous to even talk about it. I think if there's a little one that is welcomed on this world and loved and will be brought up with everything it needs ( stress upon the emotional wellbeing!) it will be Baby Cumberbatch.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera