BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 19, 2014 9:47 pm  #201

Re: Benedict's Engagement

Best answer ever

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

December 4, 2014 10:52 pm  #202

I don't know where to post this, but here feels right. It's sweet to see them hand in hand.

And Sophie got a appreciation blog on tumblr, I like that 
http://sophie-hunter-appreciation-blog.tumblr.com/

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 5, 2014 12:24 am  #203

Since they announced their engagement, I've never seen one picture of her where she hasn't had her left hand stuck in a pocket. Is she keeping the ring secret, so the fans will shut up about it?  I saw one pic of the ring sort of from the side, but it didn't show much. Okay, okay, we get it, you want us to mind our own business. But your fiance IS our business!  *smile*

December 5, 2014 6:49 am  #204

Well then you should be on Twitter...the ring is all over there.
I have no interest in jewels in general and I personally refused a ring when we got engaged!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 5, 2014 11:56 am  #205

Yes, there are photos of her with THE ring

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 5, 2014 12:25 pm  #206

Ivy wrote:

I live in a cave and am not on Twitter. If anyone here has a nice straight-on photo of the ring you can put up on this thread (I think it's thread-worthy, although others might not agree), I'd appreciate it. I just like to gawk. I joke that I have a monkey brain; I love jewelry, love pretty shiny things (must be why I like BC so much, lol).

December 5, 2014 12:35 pm  #207

ancientsgate wrote:

Ivy wrote:

I live in a cave and am not on Twitter. If anyone here has a nice straight-on photo of the ring you can put up on this thread (I think it's thread-worthy, although others might not agree), I'd appreciate it. I just like to gawk. I joke that I have a monkey brain; I love jewelry, love pretty shiny things (must be why I like BC so much, lol).

Try this:

https://twitter.com/benophiedaily/status/535268583044288512

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 5, 2014 12:44 pm  #208

Thanks! A nice ring, not gawdy or ostentatious, but big enough to be noticed and special, and he apparently paid a lot for it. Good for him, I would expect nothing less.

December 5, 2014 5:40 pm  #209

Personally I think it's a total waste of money.
But then if jewels are her thing,he's rich enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 5, 2014 7:20 pm  #210

It's a very restrained, elegant ring. Classic. It suits both of them.

(I don't like wearing rings myself, they bother my fingers, but I think it is lovely!)

Last edited by REReader (December 5, 2014 7:20 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 6, 2014 2:16 am  #211

besleybean wrote:

Personally I think it's a total waste of money.
But then if jewels are her thing,he's rich enough.

Anything that makes someone happy isn't a total waste of money to them. If she has a monkey brain like me (ooooo! sparkly!) and also is proud and ecstatic to be engaged to Mr. Man of the Moment Gorgeous Pie, then....  it's understandable she'd want to wear a ring. Understandable to me, anyway. *smile*

December 6, 2014 8:13 am  #212

Well, Benedict being all old fashioned kind of guy, it is quite understandable he would go for a ring. And she doesn't wear any other jewellery as far as I have seen on the photos from the Red Carpet. Actually, I quite like it.

December 6, 2014 8:45 am  #213

I like it, too. Her looks are truly ladylike and decent. She never styles up too much or too weird and this tiny peace of jewelry underlines this. And she rather seems to hide it than to show off. I found it also almost endearing that - although she has a serious career on her own and certainly some PR involved as well- that she seemed to have to get used to the first couple of public appearances at his side.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 6, 2014 9:02 am  #214

I don't know if they managed Sophie's introduction, or just sort of rambled into it.
She seems lovely and absolutely perfect for Benedict.
It was so obvious from the beginning of this year that something had changed: He is so happy and only love does that.
So all my other comments are about my jaded view of marriage in general...nothing personal.
However I will say one thing: the ring is not traditional at all.
I mean the type, yes I know having a ring is traditional,..but this is quite unusual.

Last edited by besleybean (December 6, 2014 9:03 am)

December 6, 2014 9:10 am  #215

besleybean wrote:

However I will say one thing: the ring is not traditional at all..

What do you mean, besleybean? It seems quite classic shape to me?

December 6, 2014 9:14 am  #216

I always just think of a diamond solitaire...
But really, so not my area.

December 6, 2014 9:20 am  #217

besleybean wrote:

It was so obvious from the beginning of this year that something had changed: He is so happy and only love does that.

Nicely put, bb.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 6, 2014 9:24 am  #218

Thank you, but I just observed and deducted...I mean I could have been much more base and said that it's when a man gets regular sex!
But it's different with Benedict, to the extent that we all know him and what he wants...
From the moment he had his home converted(and extended)...he made a nest and then it was quite obvious he was looking for  a mate.
I am only happy for him that he's found somebody and hope it all works out for him.
We want Cumberbatch babies!

Last edited by besleybean (December 6, 2014 9:25 am)

December 6, 2014 6:14 pm  #219

besleybean wrote:

However I will say one thing: the ring is not traditional at all.
I mean the type, yes I know having a ring is traditional,..but this is quite unusual.

That style is called a halo style, and it's been very "in" for the last say maybe 3-5 years. Like when I got married in the early 1970s, the style was a single prong-set diamond (round, marquis, or pear-shaped, usually, but sometimes heart-shaped or emerald cut) set rather high on a plain gold band, but you rarely see those anymore. When my sons both got married in the early 2000s, the style was a three-stone diamond engagement ring, with a larger diamond in the center and two smaller ones at each side, and both my d-i-l's have that kind of engagement ring. In the 1950s, the rings were all set in tiny multiple diamonds in little swirly designs of various kinds. You can almost look at an engagement ring and see what era people were married in! So rings like sophie's are the new tradition, I guess.

December 6, 2014 8:07 pm  #220

Well people would have a hard job guessing the era I was married then...at least via that method!

Board footera