BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2014 11:53 am  #21

Re: John´s nastiness

nakahara wrote:

It creates a strange imbalance and casts a dubious shadow over John Watson´s character so beautifully portrayed by Martin Freeman on screen.

I really don't think so. I was trying to explain why it DOESN'T, and my answer is that it's just badly written, because it's not written by Moftiss. (It says on the BBC website "written by Joseph Lidster", whoever he is.)

I agree with Liberty, too, that it really isn't nearly funny or briliant enough to be THE famous blog that everyone follows. But then again, how should they have done it with the stories about the actual episodes. There would have been no way to write them up in a way that would be as enjoyable to read as they're to watch. But even the stories about other cases that we don't see on screen aren't all that brilliantly written, either...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

November 4, 2014 1:09 pm  #22

La Jolie wrote:

nakahara wrote:

It creates a strange imbalance and casts a dubious shadow over John Watson´s character so beautifully portrayed by Martin Freeman on screen.

I really don't think so. I was trying to explain why it DOESN'T, and my answer is that it's just badly written, because it's not written by Moftiss. (It says on the BBC website "written by Joseph Lidster", whoever he is.)

I agree with Liberty, too, that it really isn't nearly funny or briliant enough to be THE famous blog that everyone follows. But then again, how should they have done it with the stories about the actual episodes. There would have been no way to write them up in a way that would be as enjoyable to read as they're to watch. But even the stories about other cases that we don't see on screen aren't all that brilliantly written, either...

Then it´s probably just me. I can´t quite connect slightly callous John Watson from the blog with his warm-hearted persona on screen.

But I digress...

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 4, 2014 5:23 pm  #23

If I'm being brutally honest, I don't think I've even looked at John's blog since after series one.
But I just remember it as being hilarious.

Last edited by besleybean (November 4, 2014 5:47 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2014 5:45 pm  #24

besleybean wrote:

If I'm beign brutally honest, I don't think I've even looked at John's blog since after series one.
But I just remember it as being hilarious.

Best part of the blog is the comments because, frankly, the John blog voice is dreadful and the blog isn't that well written. The comments are so much more in character. I love the post where Sherlock learns through the blog that John broke up with Sarah and then goes off to do the shopping and buys John beer. The blog is also worth checking out for Sherlock's thoughts on James Bond movies.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 4, 2014 5:48 pm  #25

I hope he thinks they're total crap!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2014 6:26 pm  #26

This whole thread just motivated me to write a John Watson Appreciation fic.

(Or at least start plotting one, but anyway.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 4, 2014 7:16 pm  #27

Great, do that! 
I've just started another 10-chapter-fanfic, so I can wait for "Not Broken, Just Bent " for another while. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 4, 2014 7:33 pm  #28

Mattlocked wrote:

Great, do that!
I've just started another 10-chapter-fanfic, so I can wait for "Not Broken, Just Bent " for another while.

So glad to hear that.
Seriously, with Not broken, Just Bent I am regularly writing myself sad at the moment. So I need something fluffy to compensate.

Last edited by Schmiezi (November 4, 2014 7:34 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 4, 2014 7:41 pm  #29

So this topic at least gave you some inspiration to write. Good! 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 4, 2014 9:15 pm  #30

Can't wait to read that fic, Schmiezi, because in spite of all the negative things that have been said about John after S3, I'm still utterly in love with him.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 6, 2014 1:40 pm  #31

SolarSystem wrote:

Can't wait to read that fic, Schmiezi, because in spite of all the negative things that have been said about John after S3, I'm still utterly in love with him.

So is Sherlock.

November 6, 2014 2:57 pm  #32

maryagrawatson wrote:

I love the post where Sherlock learns through the blog that John broke up with Sarah and then goes off to do the shopping and buys John beer. 

It's such a wonderfully friendly but totally mundane, ordinary  way of responding to the news, isn't it? Who would have thought Sherlock was capable of that?

Happy writing, Schmiezi!

Last edited by La Jolie (November 6, 2014 2:58 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

November 6, 2014 3:03 pm  #33

I have never really seen any of John's words or actions to be nasty.  He's a smartass.  I can relate.  Sarcasm is his go to response.  Especially when he's angry or upset.  And then isn't being a smartass better than chinning someone?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 6, 2014 9:58 pm  #34

Tho sadly he does that as well!

November 6, 2014 11:37 pm  #35

But think of how much more often he'd do it if he didn't have the smartass outlet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 24, 2015 10:33 am  #36

I've never seen John as nasty either. He is sassy (like Martin himself), and I think he has quite a temperament that easily rises to the surface.

I haven't read the blog (although I intend to), but there is only one thing he has said in the show that I really didn't like: "We are not naming our daughter after you".

That is the closest thing to nasty I've ever seen him say or do, and I don't see why he would say it. It's fine that they won't name their daughter after Sherlock, but why underlining it to his face when they know (then and there) that they will probably never see each other again? That is borderline cruel in my book.

I actually have more trouble with that single line than any of his attacks in the reunion.

I don't know, perhaps I'm overreacting. Sherlock doesn't seem to mind half as much as I do.

Last edited by Vhanja (March 24, 2015 10:33 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 24, 2015 10:39 am  #37

He could have said "We are not naming our daughter Sherlock" stressing the fact that it is no girl's name. But this sounds as if he stressed "not after you". Not sure if this is intended but I see what you mean. 

Btw, I do not regard John as nasty at all but I still do not like the "drama queen" remark. Not in this situation. If he had said it sometime in series 1 or 2, fine. But after all the things Sherlock did for him in TSoT it does not sit right with me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 24, 2015 10:42 am  #38

I see what you mean. I really liked the drama queen remark, because I think it was cool that Sherlock was called out for it. John has come a long way since his fangirling in ASiP. However, I do agree that the timing could have been better. Also, I think it was a bit unfair to lash out at Sherlock - it wasn't his fault that Sholto was assasined and refused to open the door. 

It could be explained by John being scared and under stress, that can make anyone lash out. (Just like Sherlock's "Then what exactly is the point of you?" towards Mrs. Hudson because he's in great pain and under great stress).

Last edited by Vhanja (March 24, 2015 10:43 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 24, 2015 11:58 am  #39

John had two more moments like this.

His "Behind closed curtains" comment was very unkind in hindsight:

http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/78489763634/why-do-you-think-sherlock-was-road-testing

And the way he "overlooked" Sherlock´s weakness and pain was terrible:

Last edited by nakahara (March 24, 2015 11:59 am)

March 24, 2015 12:35 pm  #40

Oh god, that scene makes me want to cry. How can John be so oblivious to Sherlock's suffering? He is dangerously close to death (again) but John is too busy kicking the furniture and feeling sorry for himself I don't think he's being nasty in this scene, but I think his rage is blinding him to his best friend's condition. As a doctor he should know better too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera