BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2014 11:59 am  #141

Re: The deleted scene (special edition)

I don´t know, it really makes me uneasy..  All those allusions to sexual assault in the unaired pilot/deleted scenes/scripts..
*shudders*

November 7, 2014 12:19 pm  #142

SolarSystem wrote:

So this is not about the deleted scene, but it's something that has initially been in the script. It's from the Sherlock Chronicles:

What an interesting scene, hmmm.

I´m just not sure if John´s answer would be just mild "Jesus!" if he witnessed this. There´s a difference between a man peeing into a fireplace and a man molesting your best friend/man you love in front of you. I doubt CAM would have left Baker Street with his teeth complete and intact after that quip of never having a detective before.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 7, 2014 12:37 pm  #143

Zatoichi wrote:

I don´t know, it really makes me uneasy..  All those allusions to sexual assault in the unaired pilot/deleted scenes/scripts.

Well, there was obviously a reason why they cut it out. I shudder with you, and I'm glad it's a theoretical shudder.

nakahara wrote:

I doubt CAM would have left Baker Street with his teeth complete and intact after that quip of never having a detective before.

Ditto.

Seriously, with John present in a scene like that, it would have been HIM who would have pulled the gun on CAM in the end, without turning a hair.

Last edited by La Jolie (November 7, 2014 12:38 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

November 7, 2014 12:38 pm  #144

John is so often compared to a hedgehog but he's really a pitbull.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 7, 2014 12:46 pm  #145

A pitbull with hedgehog-spikes!!

November 7, 2014 4:28 pm  #146

Zatoichi wrote:

A pitbull with hedgehog-spikes!!

The most dangerous creature known to man.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 7, 2014 6:26 pm  #147

Interesting - thank you for posting!  It looks as if they originally wanted to make Magnussen appear sexuallly predatory towards Sherlock, but decided to cut that out.  Apart from the reasons we mentioned for leaving out the other scene, and I think two scenes would have made the sexual aspect very much the focus - more than it should be, I think. 

I was wondering why the sexual suggestions from Magnusson are so deeply creepy compared to sexual suggestions from others (Irene, Kitty ... perhaps Moriarty?).   I get a sexual harrassment vibe from him that I don't from the others.  Maybe it's because it's so blatantly showing his power and control (and isn't that what sexual assault is often about, even though he doesn't actually go that far?) whereas the others have different agendas.   I mean, he really doesn't do that much.   "I've never had a detective before" would just be a flirty comment coming from anybody else, but there's something Hannibal Lecter-ish about it from Magnussen.  Maybe just because I've read it in the context of the deleted scene - and Magnussen's other comments and actions.

November 7, 2014 8:06 pm  #148

Just watched the scene...it is staggering.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2014 4:05 am  #149

Agreed, quite Hannibal-Lecterish.  The innuendo, the 'woman's hands' comment,  eww.
And with Sherlock incapacitated,  a creepy scene,  meant to keep us (and him) off-balance maybe?
I always like the threads of power, innuendo and uncertainty.  ('Sherlock a girl's name?'  'woman's hands',
'it's all fine',  'Redbeard',  'you know what happened to the other one', etc.)  maybe some
transgender themed or other past secrets,  e.g., why did Clara leave Harry anyway... oh who knows.?  
It's fun to keep guessing, and we don't ever know what's next.   I can also see the wisdom of
deleting some of the scenes,  to keep  things from drifting too much in a particular direction.

November 9, 2014 8:32 am  #150

( I think Clara left Harry cos she was an alcoholic).
However brilliant I think this scene is and however much I love it...I do support the decision to cut it.
In that it wouldn't have worked WITH the restaurant scene.
I think you could have one or the other, but not both.
So as the restuarant scene moves the story on and matches Magnussen coming to Sherlock's office...I can see why they kept that one.
The only uses of this one are to give the nod to flowers from Irene(do we really need that?), to stress Magnussen won't report Mary(but we get that in 221B anyway)and to show Magnussen will physically/sexually assault anybody.
It's importance really lies in the fact that it is made abundantly clear that Magnussen will continue to blackmail people with continued physical/sexual abuse.
This is when Sherlock knows he has to be stopped.
But there mustn't be any sense that Sherlock only shot Magnussedn because of what he did to HIM, so again I see why they cut it,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2014 5:25 pm  #151

besleybean wrote:

The only uses of this one are to 

I actually got something else out of the scene, a better sense of just what kind of shape Sherlock was in in the days following the shooting. When Mary visits him, it's obvious he's been in the hospital for only a short while. In the scene with Janine, it's been about a week (based on his comment in the Baker Street Scene). This scene puts him a couple of days into that first week (based on the fact that folks have had time to send in flowers).

I'm sure someone else here has spent a week or so in a hospital bed high on morphine. The camera work and Benedict's acting were excellent, conveying the weakness, the blurry vision, the lassitude, the helplessness, etc. If you're someone who's not used to being touched or relying on others, it leaves you feeling very vulnerable.

So with this third hospital scene, we see that in about a week, he goes from being completely stoned and helpless to having his doses dialed down enough so that he can sit up, chat, move around his bed, etc. Had he not left to orchestrate the Baker Street scene and made a mess of things, he would have been well on the way to a full recovery. Not very realistic considering his heart stopped and they had to do CPR on him, but that's what's there...

All that to say, this scene just strengthens my belief that Mary really didn't mean to hurt him and that the heart stopping scene was for dramatic purposes and to remind us of the Sherlock/John bond, rather than to say anything about Mary. I keep waffling back and forth about whether I expect her to be a villain in series 4, but this scene, in helping with the creation of a timeline for the earliest days of his recovery, definitely helps me believe in the surgery theory, although I will have no trouble being swayed in the opposite direction!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 9, 2014 5:40 pm  #152

Yes I agree with you..Sherlock is certainly a lot brighter when he sees Janine, than he is when he sees either Mary or Magnussen.
Yes, excellent commentay, too on how Sherlock must have felt.
I'm on Mary's side, at the moment!

November 9, 2014 5:46 pm  #153

besleybean wrote:

I'm glad someone else is! I really want to like her and continue to believe that she made a bad choice because she didn't know she could make any other decision until someone told her there could have been another way.

Waitaminute.

We've just had this exact same discussion about Sherlock!!!

Is that what's going on in Baker Street during the confrontation, that he's applying the lesson that Janine taught him?

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 9, 2014 5:48 pm  #154

The light dawns on us!

November 9, 2014 6:35 pm  #155

Oooh that is interesting, now with that part of the script... Interesting how they seem so interested in using sex to rattle Sherlock. 

I watched the scene on the DVD today and was able to put the English texts on, I usually miss one of two things because of my hearing... 

And btw, I'm on Mary's side as well... Magnussen is just... way too creepy and he keeps getting creepier (and this has nothing to do with homophobia btw)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 9, 2014 6:43 pm  #156

Oh I'm not even certain he's gay...
But he's gone now!

November 9, 2014 7:00 pm  #157

I love the work they put into him as a villain.

But yes, I am so glad he is gone... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 9, 2014 7:07 pm  #158

He was a brilliant counterpiece to Moriarty.

November 9, 2014 7:59 pm  #159

maryagrawatson wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I'm glad someone else is! I really want to like her and continue to believe that she made a bad choice because she didn't know she could make any other decision until someone told her there could have been another way.

Mary

Of course, we can´t know what the authors are planning to do with Mary in S4. There were some rumours that her character could be the character of a detective from "The Valley of Fear", so at the moment it´s anyone´s guess if she will be revealed as a goodie or a badie later.

But if Mary was intended to be shown as a good, albeit misguided, person, why was she portrayed as an exact parallel to Magnussen - an explicit badie?

http://loudest-subtext-in-television.tumblr.com/post/101504109434/johnlockismyreligion-noooo-but-mary-is-a-good

Last edited by nakahara (November 9, 2014 7:59 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 9, 2014 8:07 pm  #160

Well, we've kind of moved on with Mary since that scene.
Empty House, 221B, Xmas, the tarmac...they all seem reconciled- at least she didn't get a bullet to the brain.

Board footera