BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2014 12:26 am  #81

Re: The deleted scene (special edition)

Liberty wrote:

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Lars Mikkelsen is a rather handsome man, and such a kind one too. Something I know first hand.... maybe that's why Magnussen creeps me out so, so much.

I sometimes feel physically unwell seeing CAM. This deleted scene only makes it worse to be honest

Well, Una calls him

Mr Gorgeous

in the commentary! (And the others talk about how lovely he is in real life). I think it was great casting.  He's very goodlooking in an unusual way - he manages to be completely repulsive, but there's something seductive, sensual and mesmerising there too.  I'm so glad we got to see a bit more of him in this scene!

Of all Danish male actors I honestly believe he was such a perfect fit. You're right about that sort of unlikely handsomeness he has. This character is so far from his 'real' self. 

When I saw him live he came in on stage, almost apologetic and refused to start reciting before he knew that me and some other women were okay with sitting on the floor in our ball gowns. 

But as Cam he has that creepiness, the slightly hollow eyes, skinny, older man... and yet... something interesting, in a way, yes attractive but dangerous... 

Yeah. I'm a big fan of him as an actor. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 2, 2014 7:53 am  #82

Well hello everybody ....it's been a bloody long while!!

Just popped back on to see your thoughts on the deleted scene and it's obvious parallels with the restaurant scene which I always found odd.

Because the fact is he escaped a second time - he's really not well enough to be there. Observe him. He's high (and therefore as john says, babbling) and only turns the drip down at the very last minute when CAM arrives. The way he said "this is the canteen" - slurring and almost drunkenly (notice he didn't sound like this at all in the drugs den compared to Isaac which is a WHOLE other subject lol!) the way he slowly computed after he realises the glasses are normal, super slow movements. And he's still in considerable pain, the sharp wince as he moves to simply remove the glasses.

Which, for me, leads to my next argument. That he knew that, in his condition, he made a mistake when making that deal. But he had to go through with it. The way he looks as he says "deal with the devil"....

Back on point tho I loved the deleted scene - cam is a very very very creepy man who uses the wetness of his touch and the invasion of personal space to get one over his subjects. Poor poor sherlock barely had the strength to move his arm. And his intensified breathing as cam touched him and then came right into his space told you he was scared. Poor sherlock

I'm clueing for looks

November 2, 2014 8:41 am  #83

Yes, he's very vulnerable in both scenes (which makes them more disturbing).   Especially in the deleted scene when he can't even move.

Seeing him lying there half-dead, surrounded by flowers, did anybody get a feeling of a character like Ophelia or Snow White?  Maybe Snow White in particular, because Magnusson almost kisses him.   They do seem to use a lot of fairytale imagery in the series - that and Christian imagery. 

November 2, 2014 8:55 am  #84

Which makes Sherlock's 'I'm not a hero' stance all the more resonant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2014 11:45 am  #85

By the way, I found a transcript of the deleted scene here:
http://cosmoglaut.tumblr.com/post/101486559918

Just in case, anybody (like me) had difficulties to understand what's been spoken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 2, 2014 11:49 am  #86

Wow, so that rose from Irene may be quite significant!
Of course it has also never been revealed that Irene is alive and well.
Is the kiss from her?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2014 11:49 am  #87

What strikes me about all the hospital scenes - the deleted one and those with Mary and Janine - is how alone and helpless Sherlock is depicted. Those who love and protect him - John, Lestrade, Mrs Hudson, Molly, Mycroft - are conspicuously absent.
He is threatened, touched in a violating way, cut off from the morphine - how can this even be possible in a hospital where someone who has just been shot by an unidentified person should be protected? 
Or is it a symbol that he is still basically alone, like in the last scene in TSoT?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 2, 2014 11:53 am  #88

This scene did bring to mind Blackadder's "You have a woman's hands" - the scene is mentioned in the commentary (although not in a lot of detail, unfortunately), and it reminded them of Blackadder too!

November 2, 2014 12:30 pm  #89

SusiGo wrote:

Or is it a symbol that he is still basically alone, like in the last scene in TSoT?

Yeah, very sad, but very true  . Just like the tarmac scene when John acts so emotionless and Sherlock finally climbs into the airplane, alone leaving everyone behind.

There is a bit of a parallel to TRF, sacificing his life and leaving. Only at TRF he wasn't really alone, his friends (especially John) were still on his side, but at the end of HLV he seems to be.

Last edited by stoertebeker (November 2, 2014 12:33 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 2, 2014 12:38 pm  #90

Sorry I know this is OT, but I feel I need to speak up for John here...he is not emotionless on the tarmac...watch the scene again. He knows what Sherlock is saying. He feels helpless and bearly able to hold himself together.
Infact if it wasn't for Mary, he possibly wouldn't...maybe he would have leapt right on that plane with Sherlock.

November 2, 2014 1:11 pm  #91

I would agree that John is not emotionless during the tarmac scene... like he has said before (in TEH), he is not good at these sort of things.
Still, the result is: a lonely Sherlock. It's true, Susi, all the people who are close to him in some way don't show up at his hospital bed - ironically, when Lestrade and John do show up, Sherlock is already gone. Again and again there is this sense of loneliness surrounding Sherlock in S3.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 2, 2014 1:16 pm  #92

Though I'm assuming John had been at the hospital before...or had he JUST arrived as Mary did?

November 2, 2014 1:16 pm  #93

besleybean wrote:

Sorry I know this is OT, but I feel I need to speak up for John here...he is not emotionless on the tarmac...watch the scene again. He knows what Sherlock is saying. He feels helpless and bearly able to hold himself together.
Infact if it wasn't for Mary, he possibly wouldn't...maybe he would have leapt right on that plane with Sherlock.

I would like to see it this way as well, besley, I really would. But I can't. I know John is not good with emotions but the way he tells Sherlock that the game is over and he won't name his daughter after him, (this sentence hit me hart, especially the tone of his voice) - sorry to me, John seems almost impassive at that scene. That's just my personel impression and I am glad for everyone who could see more in John's behavior there because it truly bothers me. But that's probably a discussion for an other thread.

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 2, 2014 1:30 pm  #94

Yes and I think we have had it there...I think he was trying to make light of an awful situaton with the baby name joke...but yes, I have to agree...the game is over comment is one to ponder.

Last edited by besleybean (November 2, 2014 1:31 pm)

November 2, 2014 2:37 pm  #95

I'm with you on this one BB.  On the tarmac John is this close to falling to pieces.  He is lost.  He is in so much pain.  And you can see every bit of this on Martin Freeman's amazing face.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 2, 2014 6:23 pm  #96

I just watched the scene. Wow, Moriarty in all his glory has nothing on CAM. He seems like a criminal apprentice in comparison with this sleazy douchebag.

At least CAM has a good taste in men. "I covet you hands, Mr. Holmes..." - my thoughts exactly! 

Kudos to Lars Mikkelsen, he is a helluva good actor.

That aside, a hospital where Sherlock is being treated is a very interesting place, no doubt. Everybody and their dog can obviously enter and bother an unsupervised patient who just barely pulled through a clinical death and is in a grave condition, harrass him or meddle with his morphine drip... I guess, when Sherlock escaped from that facility, he didn´t bother to use window or to wear a disguise. He probably simply marched out of the door wearing a poker face and dragging his morphine drip with him. With that level of neglect, it would be no surprise that he escaped unnoticed.

I doubt John was in a hospital at all. His absence in all the scenes above is terribly conspicious.

And it´s quite possible that Mycroft and Lestrade really are dating, because only a sudden hormonal storm and mutual passion can excuse their inexplicable absence from the scene and their willingness to leave Sherlock unguarded, unsupervised, althrough he was just shot by an unknown enemy. 

Oh, and when Lestrade finally appeared, he was prepared to add insult to injury and to count himself to the row of psychos who just bothered Sherlock in his hospital bed - by filming him while he was vulnerable. After Sherlock´s experience with CAM, he would certainly invite this further violation of his trust with open hands....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 2, 2014 6:38 pm  #97

tonnaree wrote:

I'm with you on this one BB.  On the tarmac John is this close to falling to pieces.  He is lost.  He is in so much pain.  And you can see every bit of this on Martin Freeman's amazing face.

And we have a visual cue of his suffering right there on screen - in his trembling hand:

http://thegingerbatch.tumblr.com/post/98000481368/rebootingcheesecake-so-ive-been-rewatching-the

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 2, 2014 6:44 pm  #98

Thank you, nakahara and can I say that your post #96 gave me such a good laugh!

November 2, 2014 7:06 pm  #99

besleybean wrote:

Thank you, nakahara and can I say that your post #96 gave me such a good laugh!

Thank you, BB. 

November 2, 2014 7:07 pm  #100

Bravo, nakahara, this is a very good summary of all that is wrong with this hospital. I would not even consider it for having my appendix removed. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera