BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2014 10:20 pm  #221

Re: The special - the game is on (spoilers)

maryagrawatson wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Anybody said something against my favourite, beautiful curly Sherlock´s hair? 
Take this! 

I don't understand your reaction to the fact that there is less competition for Sherlock's affections... Shouldn't you be thanking me?

I saw that photo manip on AO3 and was once again struck by just how little Benedict looks like Sherlock and absolutely needs the curls for the transformation to happen. It's uncanny. Original promo pic: Benedict and John Watson. Manip: Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. So weird.

Mary

Don´t take it too seriously, please, I was just goofing around (and wanted to defend my beloved curls a bit). 

Absolutely agree with your opinion on Ben´s transformation - one simply does not get the Sherlock vibes from the photos of him if the curls are missing.
That´s why I hope that we will indeed have curls in the Special. (makes puppy eyes on Moftiss) 

Last edited by nakahara (November 27, 2014 10:29 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 27, 2014 11:10 pm  #222

nakahara wrote:

Don´t take it too seriously, please, I was just goofing around (and wanted to defend my beloved curls a bit).  

I was also goofing around! My playful tone does not translate to pixels!

Absolutely agree with your opinion on Ben´s transformation - one simply does not get the Sherlock vibes from the photos of him if the curls are missing.

The curls really make the character. We very rarely see Sherlock out of his uniform, but even in ratty PJs or too large sloppy clothes, the curls make him recognizeable. The outfit in this photo isn't that far off from what he wore at the wedding, but no curls, no Sherlock. Hmm.

Mary

Last edited by maryagrawatson (November 28, 2014 12:41 am)

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 27, 2014 11:22 pm  #223

I have to say that the curls are a big part of what makes Sherlock, Sherlock to me... I don't see Sherlock at all in the picture... but with the manip... There he is! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 28, 2014 6:54 am  #224

Though I don't know if curls would do for a genuine Victorian piece...certainly for somebody dressing up as Victorian, who didn't want to mess their hair!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 28, 2014 7:58 am  #225

besleybean wrote:

Though I don't know if curls would do for a genuine Victorian piece...certainly for somebody dressing up as Victorian, who didn't want to mess their hair!

That would be an "artistic licence" on the side of the authors, of course.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 28, 2014 8:15 am  #226

For a Victorian gentleman Benedict's current hairstyle would be uncharacteristically short. Men wore their hair usually longer - and not just Oscar Wilde. 
In the Chronicles Sue Vertue is quoted saying that every time Benedict hopes for another hairstyle there is a cliffhanger and he has to grow them again. So if he has shorter hair this time this probably means that they do not pick up where HLV ended (or a wig but I do not really believe that).
And I think that in general his looks are non-negotiable. Steven has said that they had a sort of Byronic style in mind and they have stayed true to this ever since. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 28, 2014 9:24 am  #227

Just look at RDJ in the Sherlock films... his hair is definitely longer than Ben's hair is right now, and it sometimes is in a pretty beautiful mess - and it works in the context of the movies.
I think the typical Sherlock hair would fit perfectly. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 28, 2014 9:48 am  #228

Yes. The style he is wearing now would be far more anachronistic. 

On another note - some things about this pic and the readthrough as a whole seem to be a bit off. Apparently Benedict was not there (not sure where this information comes from), neither was Louise. Amanda declares the pic to be genuine while it is apparently photoshopped. Last time they published pics from the readthrough with all the actors present. And if I remember correctly, it took place shortly before filming started so they seem to be quite early. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 28, 2014 12:11 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 28, 2014 3:21 pm  #229

Curiouser and curiouser...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 28, 2014 4:20 pm  #230

Oh, so they already started filming? I thought that'd be somewhere in the new year. Maybe they do a bit of misinformation in order to avoid spoilers or something. 

I've got a new theory. It's not set in the 1800's, 21th century Sherlock and John are investigating a crime that happened in the 1800's. Interwoven in the story are hypothetical scenarios (just like the one in HLV) in which Sherlock and John play a hypothetical role. In the Victorian parts, he has short hair, in the 21th century parts, he has curls. 

Basically I'm trying to rationalise the curls into existence. 

November 28, 2014 4:53 pm  #231

No, apprently just had the read through...they film in January.

November 28, 2014 4:56 pm  #232

I like your theory, silverblaze. Even if the curls would have to be a wig in this case. 

Benedict seems to be still deep in filming Richard III. So I wonder if they really did a readthrough with only half of the cast present … and why there was so little information this time. 

November 28, 2014 5:00 pm  #233

Yep, all seems a bit odd. Though Benedict could easily have had time out for the read through...it was only  one afternoon.
Maybe Louise isn't in the special?

Last edited by besleybean (November 28, 2014 5:00 pm)

November 28, 2014 5:04 pm  #234

Amanda said on Twitter that Louise was in the special and that Una read her parts. I was just wondering because last time there were many pics, not only the fun ones with Martin and Benedict, but also with all the actors and writers at the table. Maybe there are some surprises - like is Andrew there or not? - they do not want to spoil. 

November 28, 2014 5:05 pm  #235

Ah...yeah Louise is in Australia at the mo.

November 28, 2014 6:12 pm  #236

silverblaze wrote:

I've got a new theory. It's not set in the 1800's, 21th century Sherlock and John are investigating a crime that happened in the 1800's. Interwoven in the story are hypothetical scenarios (just like the one in HLV) in which Sherlock and John play a hypothetical role. In the Victorian parts, he has short hair, in the 21th century parts, he has curls. 

Brilliant idea, Silver!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 29, 2014 11:56 am  #237

Here is an interesting older quote from Mark mentioning ghosts (and marriages):

“There are lots of people in happy marriages who turn out to have terrible secrets or to have done some awful deed in the past that must be paid for in the present. In Doyle’s stories, those are the ghosts you need to worry about.”

Source http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-01-08/mark-gatiss-on-writing-the-hounds-of-baskerville

November 29, 2014 12:47 pm  #238

I would rather hope it was the past catching up with Mary, rather than her having to pay for what she did.
Baskerville was a whole other case.

November 29, 2014 1:04 pm  #239

I think he was speaking about Doyle's stories in general. And, yes, it would be interesting to see Mary really confront her past. 

November 29, 2014 8:51 pm  #240

SusiGo wrote:

Here is an interesting older quote from Mark mentioning ghosts (and marriages):

“There are lots of people in happy marriages who turn out to have terrible secrets or to have done some awful deed in the past that must be paid for in the present. In Doyle’s stories, those are the ghosts you need to worry about.”

Source http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-01-08/mark-gatiss-on-writing-the-hounds-of-baskerville

In the Canon story "The Dancing man" a protagonist, a former American woman married to an English squire, was involved in a criminal activities with a nasty gang. Her past then unexpectedly catches with her...

... and her husband gets shot as a result.

I already fear for John´s safety if that woman is supposed to be Mary in BBC adaptation.

Board footera