BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2015 1:52 pm  #2281

Re: The special - the game is on (spoilers)

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, but this is only the beginning of a long story arc. So we probably will not get this John again but one day maybe a John who is happy, at peace with himself, not angry and confused and feeling betrayed by all those around him. And if the light then gets pink again, all the better. 

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I want this John back, I mean for example... at the beginning and the end of TRF we see a very devastated John who reminds me a lot of the early John in ASiP. I rather like him when he's sad like that. Then again, I agree, I'll also like the return of the pink light. Oh, great title for an episode: TRotPL. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 7, 2015 3:26 pm  #2282

I quite like him sassy, but not aggressive, a bit like our last view of him, on the tarmac...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2015 3:46 am  #2283

Has anyone watched or re-watched The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes since seeing the Special teaser? I'm watching it now. The first scene with Holmes and Watson arriving at 221b and greeting Mrs Hudson has been adapted very closely by Moftiss! A hansom cab pulls up outside and they get down and remove the luggage (which includes the same-shaped box that John carries in the Special, the one that Archie wants to know what's inside). Just compare this dialogue from TPLoSH...

MRS HUDSON: I do wish you'd give me a little more warning when you come home unexpected. I would have roasted a goose -- and had some flowers for you.
HOLMES: My dear Mrs. Hudson -- criminals are as unpredictable as head-colds.  You never quite know when you're going to catch one.
(A moment later, Watson picks up an advance copy of the Strand Magazine and shows it to Holmes.)
WATSON: They've printed 'The Red-Headed League!'
HOLMES (offhand): Very impressive.
WATSON (leafing through the magazine): Would you like to see how I treated it?
HOLMES: I can hardly wait.  I'm sure I'll find out all sorts of fascinating things about the case that I never knew before.
WATSON: Just what do you mean by that?
HOLMES: Oh, come now, Watson, you must admit that you have a tendency to over-romanticize. You have taken my simple exercises in logic and embellished them, exaggerated them...
WATSON: I deny the accusation.
HOLMES: You have described me as six-foot-four, whereas I am barely six-foot-one.
WATSON: A bit of poetic license.
HOLMES (removing Inverness and deerstalker): You have saddled me with this improbable costume, which the public now expects me to wear.
WATSON: That's not my doing. (indicating cover of Strand) Blame it on the illustrator.

And in a later scene:
ROGOZHIN: Madame is great admirer of yours.  She has read every story -- her favorite is Big Dog from Baskerville.
HOLMES: I'm afraid it loses something in translation.

Here's Ariane's transcript of the teaser trailer:
MRS HUDSON: Mr Holmes, I do wish you’d let me know when you’re planning to come home.
SHERLOCK: I hardly knew myself, Mrs Hudson. That’s the trouble with dismembered country squires – they’re notoriously difficult to schedule.
ARCHIE: What’s in there?
JOHN: Never mind.
SHERLOCK (to the cabbie): Thank you.
ARCHIE: Did you catch a murderer, Mr Holmes?
SHERLOCK: Caught the murderer; still looking for the legs. Think we’ll call it a draw.
MRS HUDSON: And I notice you’ve published another of your stories, Dr Watson.
JOHN: Yes. Did you enjoy it?
MRS HUDSON: No.
JOHN: Oh?
MRS HUDSON: I never enjoy them.
JOHN: Why not?
MRS HUDSON: Well, I never say anything, do I? According to you, I just show people up the stairs and serve you breakfasts.
JOHN: Well, in the narrative, that is – broadly speaking – your function.
MRS HUDSON: My what?!
SHERLOCK: Don’t feel singled out, Mrs Hudson. I’m hardly in the dog one.
JOHN: “The dog one”?!
MRS HUDSON: I’m your landlady, not a plot device.
JOHN (to Sherlock): Do you mean ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’?!
MRS HUDSON: You make the room so drab and dingy.
JOHN: Oh, blame it on the illustrator. He’s out of control. I’ve had to grow this moustache just so people’ll recognise me.

I sure there's more. I love finding these references, although this one is more like an homage.

Last edited by ukaunz (November 10, 2015 8:52 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 10, 2015 6:56 am  #2284

Is it in this one that Sherlock pretends to be gay with Watson to avoid having a baby with a crazy dancer ? If it is its gonna be funny if Moftiss decided to adapt it

Last edited by Solenn (November 10, 2015 6:56 am)

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 10, 2015 6:58 am  #2285

It would be funny, but I don't think they will adapt all of it, just that scene. STAB looks much darker in themes to TPLoSH

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 10, 2015 7:02 am  #2286

I thought they said it would be lighter than the regular series?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2015 7:22 am  #2287

I love how well that teaser goes with the actual text! Thank you for finding it! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 10, 2015 8:49 am  #2288

besleybean wrote:

I thought they said it would be lighter than the regular series?

Oh, I was just going by how dark the trailer is... I'm sure there will be moments of humour, but it looks to me like there will also be plenty of drama and danger and death. TPLoSH has a plot about

a German submarine disguised as the Loch Ness Monster, with six midgets for a crew.

It's definitely a lighthearted comedy.

November 10, 2015 9:06 am  #2289

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I love how well that teaser goes with the actual text! Thank you for finding it! 

If you watch it, the look and feel of the scene is very similar too. Then again, the scene from the Special is reminiscent of the Granada series as well. A bit of a mix I guess

November 11, 2015 7:25 am  #2290

ukaunz wrote:

Has anyone watched or re-watched The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes since seeing the Special teaser? I'm watching it now. The first scene with Holmes and Watson arriving at 221b and greeting Mrs Hudson has been adapted very closely by Moftiss! A hansom cab pulls up outside and they get down and remove the luggage (which includes the same-shaped box that John carries in the Special, the one that Archie wants to know what's inside). Just compare this dialogue from TPLoSH...

Aww…  I love that.  Badly behind on the classics, although know some of the various neat homages in how things were filmed.  But that reminds me of something I thought to comment when listening to all of you discuss the trailer (and possible stories) in detail…
Loved the teaser when it first came out for it's 'slice of life' and awesome homage/humorous version of their classic Victorian counterparts.  Then the trailer came along, and all differently awesome and dark and everyone still well 'established' with each other, but then we also get a neat tease of a 'first meeting' version between them, sans Watson-stache?  That, with Watson's comment about 'it's the illustrator's fault' indicates he had been writing the stories for a while, so will be interesting if the episode spans time like that, and not just 'first meeting first case' and that's it.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 11, 2015 11:19 am  #2291

I get the feeling the first meeting scene will be a flashback memory or anecdote, but I could be wrong of course

November 13, 2015 5:41 pm  #2292

It seems to be official now - no special in German cinemas, no airdate close to UK/US. The reason seems to be that the cinema release of the special depends on the TV broadcast. And since our broadcaster is obviously unable to buy and dub the special in time for January, in Germany we will get nothing. (Of course there is streaming but still …) 

http://sherlock-de.com/2015/11/13/special-nicht-in-d-a-ch-kinos/

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2015 5:44 pm  #2293

Oh no!! I'm sorry for you Germans. 

And I'm not too hopeful for Denmark either... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 13, 2015 6:09 pm  #2294

SusiGo wrote:

It seems to be official now - no special in German cinemas, no airdate close to UK/US. The reason seems to be that the cinema release of the special depends on the TV broadcast. And since our broadcaster is obviously unable to buy and dub the special in time for January, in Germany we will get nothing. (Of course there is streaming but still …) 

http://sherlock-de.com/2015/11/13/special-nicht-in-d-a-ch-kinos/

BUGGER!  I hate it for you guys!!!   

I might stream the special when it airs in the UK anyway just because I don't want to wait out the time difference.  

Last edited by tonnaree (November 13, 2015 6:10 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 13, 2015 6:15 pm  #2295

So far most countries seem to be missing out. What do we have? UK, USA, China, Australia, Canada, Ireland? And that's it, as far as I know. I checked a French Sherlock site and Dutch cinema announcements, nothing there. 
I have no idea what the reason could be. Our German broadcaster is not very eager where Sherlock is concerned, but what about the rest of the world? On Twitter I saw requests from India and Argentina. They seem to have no airdates and/or cinema info either. I somehow get the impression that this is an exclusive event for a small number of countries and the rest is missing out. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2015 7:50 pm  #2296

What the F*ck why does the rest of Europa gets nothing ?

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

November 13, 2015 7:54 pm  #2297

And not just the rest of Europe. What about Asia minus China? Latin America? Very strange indeed. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 13, 2015 7:54 pm)

November 13, 2015 8:04 pm  #2298

What annoys me is the use of the word 'world wide'. Don't give people hope if you can't deliver! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

November 13, 2015 8:07 pm  #2299

Yes. I absolutely agree. Feels a bit like cheating.

November 13, 2015 9:07 pm  #2300

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

What annoys me is the use of the word 'world wide'. Don't give people hope if you can't deliver! 

I second that. Stop speaking about "global" event if you are only broadcasting for half a dozen countries! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera