BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2015 9:05 pm  #2261

Re: The special - the game is on (spoilers)

While I admittedly didn't watch most of the trailers, nor follow any of the news on the Special, I was under the impression that this was a stand-alone episode, apart from the canon of the series.

It appears, however, that many people think it may be related to the series in some way.

Would anyone mind sharing their thoughts on this?

November 6, 2015 9:10 pm  #2262

Magingus wrote:

Huzzah!  Finally got through - bought tickets for January 5.

Yay!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 6, 2015 9:12 pm  #2263

It's just what the team have said and also that it's all the same characters:  it is separate, but related at the same time...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 6, 2015 9:14 pm  #2264

It is going to be a stand-alone, "in its own bubble" according to TPTB. But with a few (a few...!) hints here and there to the Canon. And obviously, as it's the same team, we'll also have hints to our show.
And an explanation for Moriarty's return -or whatever it is.

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 6, 2015 9:17 pm  #2265

Plus Amanda's comments that the reason they're in the Victorian era will be explained in the episode. Which might just mean that the plot of the story couldn't have been done in any other time period, rather than an explanation such as "it was all a dream" or "its all happening in Sherlock's Mind Palace".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 6, 2015 9:17 pm  #2266

Got my tickets, too - for both nights!

As for the new trailer - I miss the wink after the address exchange but will accept the hat cockiness . And isn't John just getting BAMF'ier and BAMF'ier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 6, 2015 9:31 pm  #2267

Yeepee, KP!

John's always a BAMF...but I do agree, he is BAMFier and BAMFIER as we go...and it is such an excellent call...:D

November 6, 2015 9:37 pm  #2268

Again congrats to all you lucky people of the world... which I'm apparently not a part of... but oh well, my jealousy doesn't stop me being happy for you!

As for John! He's certainly gotten a lot more BAMF! And I love it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 6, 2015 10:03 pm  #2269

Am I only the one who finds John's line "I'm an army doctor, that means I could break every bone in your body while naming them?" very hot?

Yeah, probably just me being all pervy again, I'll return to my hole in the gutter... 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 6, 2015 10:28 pm  #2270

Vhanja wrote:

Am I only the one who finds John's line "I'm an army doctor, that means I could break every bone in your body while naming them?" very hot?

Interesting. And I'm not saying it's not hot, but I just was reminded of all those people (and I'm not talking about you here, Vhanja, don't get me wrong!) who after TEH were moaning about how violent John is behaving towards Sherlock and that he needs to get his act together and see a therapist because of his aggressiveness issues and blabla.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 6, 2015 10:41 pm  #2271

Yep, I'm one of them...I don't do macho!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 7, 2015 12:27 am  #2272

Lilythiell wrote:

Magingus wrote:

Huzzah! Finally got through - bought tickets for January 5.

Yay!

Magingus wrote:

Would anyone mind sharing their thoughts on this?

Thanks for the responses, all who answered!

While I love theorizing about the show, I usually distance myself from teasers and whatnot. Partially because I want to experience it with few preconceived notions, and partially because it's futile to guess where the writers are going anyway.

But I'm very glad to read the thoughts you've shared on the Special.

November 7, 2015 12:32 am  #2273

Ooh - my title is now "Cipher Expert"!

67-97-110-39-116-32-119-97-105-116-32-102-111-114-32-116-104-101-32-115-112-101-99-105-97-108-33

November 7, 2015 4:18 am  #2274

Aww... thanks tonnaree, I know!
Aww, and you too, Lily!  Eep.. I know.. can't imagine!

Yay, too, KP!  Missed Hamlet, so this is gonna be awesome!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 7, 2015 10:47 am  #2275

SolarSystem wrote:

Interesting. And I'm not saying it's not hot, but I just was reminded of all those people (and I'm not talking about you here, Vhanja, don't get me wrong!) who after TEH were moaning about how violent John is behaving towards Sherlock and that he needs to get his act together and see a therapist because of his aggressiveness issues and blabla.

No, I was never one to moan about that. I don't think John has aggression issues. I think he has suppressed emotions issues in general, and that it usually surfaces as low threshold for annoyance (not violence). But that is probably for another thread. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 7, 2015 12:31 pm  #2276

Speaking of BAMFier John....I'm conflicted. There's a little part of me that misses the John we first met in ASiP. Those opening scenes in his bedsit where he seemed so lost and lonely always breaks my heart.  There was a sad sweetness, almost a vulnerability, about him that was very appealing and made his "rescue" by meeting up with Sherlock that much more brilliant.  But of course, just as Sherlock's character is growing, so must John's. I'm open for new directions just as long as the boys stay together and continue to compliment each other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 7, 2015 12:55 pm  #2277

Vhanja wrote:

Yeah, probably just me being all pervy again, I'll return to my hole in the gutter... 

no you are not, I got very excited when I heard him say that. I'm sure there are already fanfics about it on AO3 *LOL*

I also found that scene in the crack house in HLV very cool. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 7, 2015 1:09 pm  #2278

KeepersPrice wrote:

Speaking of BAMFier John....I'm conflicted. There's a little part of me that misses the John we first met in ASiP. Those opening scenes in his bedsit where he seemed so lost and lonely always breaks my heart. There was a sad sweetness, almost a vulnerability, about him that was very appealing and made his "rescue" by meeting up with Sherlock that much more brilliant. But of course, just as Sherlock's character is growing, so must John's. I'm open for new directions just as long as the boys stay together and continue to compliment each other.

I completely agree. That lonely John sitting in that truly horrible apartment always breaks my heart. Everything about those scenes is perfect, that pale lighting, those pale colours... and then he meets Sherlock and before he knows it he's sitting at Angelo's and everything is just pink.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 7, 2015 1:27 pm  #2279

You know what I find a bit odd. People asked Mofftiss if Moriarty is in the special and they answered like they always do "no because he is DEAD" but if that is a special in Victorian era why does it matter if he died in 21st century Sherlock? A good answer would have been that they wanted another villain for the special and don't want to use the same villain over and over again.

I find it odd not because Moriarty might be in it after all, but rather that it maybe doesn't play all the time in Victorian era in the end? That whole thing still confuses me a lot.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 7, 2015 1:39 pm  #2280

Yes, but this is only the beginning of a long story arc. So we probably will not get this John again but one day maybe a John who is happy, at peace with himself, not angry and confused and feeling betrayed by all those around him. And if the light then gets pink again, all the better. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera