BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2014 9:54 pm  #201

Re: The special - the game is on (spoilers)

But didn't they do a version of that at the beginning of TSoT then...? Sorry, but I'm not really familiar with the Canon.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 26, 2014 10:07 pm  #202

I think TSOT doesn´t count. The appearance of the robbers was very short there and didn´t feature as a stand-alone story.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 26, 2014 10:41 pm  #203

The Red Headed League was the first ACD story to really grip me, followed by The Speckled Band. They're the two I most wish Moftiss would adapt. Benedict and Mark naturally being red heads would make TRHL a no brainer, but they've already wasted the nail biting Speckled Band with a lame joke in ASIB (although we did get the first glimpse of Sherlock eating and talking with his mouth full, so it wasn't a total waste).

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 26, 2014 10:48 pm  #204

maryagrawatson wrote:

The Red Headed League was the first ACD story to really grip me, followed by The Speckled Band. They're the two I most wish Moftiss would adapt. Benedict and Mark naturally being red heads would make TRHL a no brainer, but they've already wasted the nail biting Speckled Band with a lame joke in ASIB (although we did get the first glimpse of Sherlock eating and talking with his mouth full, so it wasn't a total waste).

Mary

Oh, I hope that althrough they used the name "The Speckled Band" already, that they would still adapt the content of that story in "Sherlock" someday. The case is too good and creepy to be left aside while another cases are being adapted.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 27, 2014 9:14 am  #205

But would they adapt the case and give the episode a completely different name? I think they'd have to find another "The Speckled whatever" for it after "The Speckled Blonde", and I'm not sure they'd do that.
Then again, there's probably nothing they wouldn't dare to do.  

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 27, 2014 9:15 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 27, 2014 11:38 am  #206

SolarSystem wrote:

But would they adapt the case and give the episode a completely different name? I think they'd have to find another "The Speckled whatever" for it after "The Speckled Blonde", and I'm not sure they'd do that.
Then again, there's probably nothing they wouldn't dare to do.  

I think they would be able to use the plot elements and scenes from "The Speckled Band" even if they gave the episode a different name. Kinda like HLV which was named after "His Last Bow" but was an actual adaptation of entirely different story "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton".

November 27, 2014 12:04 pm  #207

This should be a pic from the Special - hmmm, what will it tell us?

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 27, 2014 12:10 pm  #208

I don't think they'll let themselves be stopped because they referenced the story earlier. Apparantly they're not even stopped by the fact that the series is supposed to take place in the 21th century. 

Speckled Band would be a lot of fun. It's so full of twists and surprises, and that for a very short story.

I like Red Headed league, it's quite funny though it'd need some massive ramping up. Maybe a ridiculously elaborate scam that would somehow trick the police that the victims were the actual robbers or something. 

Another story I'd really like to see is The Illustrious Client with all the psychology in it. 

November 27, 2014 6:51 pm  #209

Maybe it will be set in the 1800s? That would be awesome!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

November 27, 2014 6:59 pm  #210

I could live with that...but I would rather not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 27, 2014 7:08 pm  #211

Panto sounds fun 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

November 27, 2014 7:11 pm  #212

Well it may at least be seasonal!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 27, 2014 7:52 pm  #213

I hope that if the picture is real, the boys are playing dress up. I also hope that John makes as much of a fuss about how much older Sherlock looks with short hair as Sherlock did about John's TEH moustache.

Mary

November 27, 2014 7:54 pm  #214

Tho at least the hair is a positive change!

Last edited by besleybean (November 27, 2014 7:54 pm)

November 27, 2014 8:02 pm  #215

So you do not like the Sherlock hair?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 27, 2014 8:05 pm  #216

I love it.
But I love the short hair, too.
I hate any facial hair.

November 27, 2014 8:26 pm  #217

besleybean wrote:

I love it.
I hate any facial hair.

I've already expressed my extreme distaste for Sherlock's hair in this thread. *shudders* :D But I love facial hair! I wish Sherlock had had just a bit more stubble in HLV, although there are some scenes where the shadows are just right and you can really see it. I like my men a bit more rugged than pretty boy Sherlock and a hint of stubble goes a long way to making me melt. Benedict does scruff so well. John's moustaches, however, don't do much for me, and make him look rather unscrumptious.

Mary

November 27, 2014 8:41 pm  #218

I'm not too fussy - short hair, long hair, shaven, unshaven, it's all good.  I do like the traditional way they look in the picture and I think it suits them both!   I would actually be delighted to see a period version of Sherlock, but I'm not sure I want to give up a modern episode to see it, that's all.  I've quite enjoyed some stories that have double time settings (Possession by A S Byatt, the film of The French Lieutenant's Woman) and I wonder if something creative could be done along those lines (perhaps Sherlock solving a historical case which has some meaning for the present), or if that would just become silly. 

I liked the Redheaded League, and I'd been imagining that recently how that would fit in an updated version (I was imagining a female client too) but is there enough there for an hour and a half?  I suppose they haven't had any trouble with the other stories. 

Last edited by Liberty (November 27, 2014 8:42 pm)

November 27, 2014 9:30 pm  #219

maryagrawatson wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I love it.
I hate any facial hair.

I've already expressed my extreme distaste for Sherlock's hair in this thread. *shudders* :D But I love facial hair! I wish Sherlock had had just a bit more stubble in HLV, although there are some scenes where the shadows are just right and you can really see it. I like my men a bit more rugged than pretty boy Sherlock and a hint of stubble goes a long way to making me melt. Benedict does scruff so well. John's moustaches, however, don't do much for me, and make him look rather unscrumptious.

Mary

Anybody said something against my favourite, beautiful curly Sherlock´s hair? 

Take this! 

November 27, 2014 10:08 pm  #220

nakahara wrote:

Anybody said something against my favourite, beautiful curly Sherlock´s hair? 
Take this! 

I don't understand your reaction to the fact that there is less competition for Sherlock's affections... Shouldn't you be thanking me?

I saw that photo manip on AO3 and was once again struck by just how little Benedict looks like Sherlock and absolutely needs the curls for the transformation to happen. It's uncanny. Original promo pic: Benedict and John Watson. Manip: Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. So weird.

Mary

Board footera