BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2015 8:37 pm  #161

Re: Doctor Strange (spoilers)

I really don't think you can grow a beard like that in four days, so I am quite sure it isn't his own.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 5, 2015 8:38 pm  #162

Hmm, Vhanja, I think I can see the attraction... But only because it's Ben! I'm sure he'll look even better when he transforms into Dr. Strange

I wonder how Ben feels about the scraggly grey beard. I wonder if they'll go with a goatee later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 5, 2015 8:50 pm  #163

I'm hoping so!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 5, 2015 8:54 pm  #164

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything less. This is him before the transformation, it's only natural he will look more glamorous once that's done. To make the contrast bigger, he's shaggy-looking now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 5, 2015 10:37 pm  #165

Hmm, I´m taking sides of Vhanja and Phantom here - he looks great. You instantly feel certain sympathy and compassion towards this face....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 5, 2015 11:09 pm  #166

ukaunz wrote:

Hmm, Vhanja, I think I can see the attraction... But only because it's Ben! I'm sure he'll look even better when he transforms into Dr. Strange

I wonder how Ben feels about the scraggly grey beard. I wonder if they'll go with a goatee later.

The goatee is paramount!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 6, 2015 7:36 am  #167

Something kept nagging me when I saw the pics of shaggy Benedict in Nepal. And now on Twitter someone had the same idea. You remember "Batman Begins" when a traumatised bearded Bruce Wayne wanders the Himalayas? The similarity is striking. Which gives me hope that they will indeed go for a darker and deeper story like Christopher Nolan's take on Batman. Not that I did not enjoy the other marvel films but they are not what I would expect from Benedict (or Tilda Swinton). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 6, 2015 8:33 am  #168

well, I thought the same thing, it does seem to follow the same trajectory (the hero lost and discouraged) and I think it is possible that they borrowed, so to speak, Strange's history - to a point - when making Batman begins. Only now it seems the reverse, because Batman was released earlier.But at least they are filming in Nepal, not in Iceland, lol.

November 6, 2015 8:45 am  #169

But let's not forget that there have been Doctor Strange comics for ages, so the history of Stephen Strange has been there all along. It's not something they invented for this movie. I don't know if Wayne's backstory was invented for the movies or if it's also been there in comics. But it's quite common in the universe of super heroes for them to first having to live through hard times before they evolve into the hero. It's pretty much the same with Tony Stark, before he becomes Iron Man he's a real asshole, then he gets into trouble and then he evolves into the good guy with a good mission. To be honest, Strange's story reminds me of Tony Stark much more than it reminds me of Bruce Wayne.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 6, 2015 8:50 am  #170

I did not want to imply that this is a copy of Batman. It was just this image of the tramp-like guy and the Himalayan background that reminded me.
As for the Tony Stark parallel - there we also have a shallow unlikeable character who learns becoming better the hard way. Although I get the impression that Strange is a darker character thsn Iron Man.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 6, 2015 9:08 am  #171

I might be jumping the gun, but to me those pictures we've seen tell me they didn't go for an all glitzy glamorous fairy-tale super hero film. I couldn't imagine Benedict in one of those either...  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 6, 2015 9:15 am  #172

SolarSystem wrote:

But let's not forget that there have been Doctor Strange comics for ages, so the history of Stephen Strange has been there all along. It's not something they invented for this movie. I don't know if Wayne's backstory was invented for the movies or if it's also been there in comics.

I am not that familiar with comics, but I think there is a "gap" of 7 years in Bruce Wayne's story and they invented something to fill the void in Batman begins - they could have borrowed from Strange the idea of going to mysterious East and learning there uncanny abilities (well, not magic, but the whole monastery training etc. etc. has the similar aura). Only now, since Batman trylogy came first, it could seem that Strange borrowed from Nolan's film.
Yes, for the scruffy looks, however, I would really like Strange to go in the direction Nolan's Batman went. (But NOT in the direction the new Superman went, lol).

November 6, 2015 9:16 am  #173

SusiGo wrote:

Although I get the impression that Strange is a darker character thsn Iron Man.

I think so too.
Did Dr. Strange loose everything in the original story? Before he became the super hero?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 6, 2015 9:22 am  #174

gently69 wrote:

Did Dr. Strange loose everything in the original story? Before he became the super hero?

From what I've read, yes. He did some travelling and then ran out of money - which explains why on those first pics Benedict looks like a member of the Homeless Network. 
And if I am not very much mistaken, they already said that this will be a very dark film. I still hope that there will also be some humour involved, because in my opinion Marvel films work best when they're not taking themselves too seriously.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 6, 2015 9:25 am  #175

I'd love it to be a dark comedy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 6, 2015 9:41 am  #176

SolarSystem wrote:

And if I am not very much mistaken, they already said that this will be a very dark film. I still hope that there will also be some humour involved, because in my opinion Marvel films work best when they're not taking themselves too seriously.

I assume later in the story when Strange transformed into the super hero there would be room for a bit of humour.
That would suit me as well.

Dark comedy seems too "strong" for me. Certainly because since I watched Gatiss' "A league of gentlemen" I have a different impression of it.

Last edited by gently69 (November 6, 2015 9:44 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

November 6, 2015 9:42 am  #177

Oh, that's not really what I meant, Phantom. It would be great to mainly have a dark atmosphere which sometimes gets ruptured by dark humour. One can see this again and again with Loki in "Thor" and "The Avengers". Loki really brings some dark humour to the scene without turning the film into a comedy.

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 6, 2015 9:42 am)

November 6, 2015 9:46 am  #178

That's what I meant in my edit, Solar.

(Tony Hadley)

November 6, 2015 10:24 am  #179

http://cumberbatchlives.tumblr.com/post/132656603097/benedict-cumberbatch-filming-doctor-strange-in
Moving pictures... That's too much for me.
And I don't know why. LOL

(Tony Hadley)

November 6, 2015 11:29 am  #180

SusiGo wrote:

I did not want to imply that this is a copy of Batman. It was just this image of the tramp-like guy and the Himalayan background that reminded me.
As for the Tony Stark parallel - there we also have a shallow unlikeable character who learns becoming better the hard way. Although I get the impression that Strange is a darker character thsn Iron Man.

But that's what I thought too when I saw the pics, Susi.
Although RDJ is hot as Tony Stark I always thought he more or less played himself.
And Christian Bale also looked more groomed when he was back home, so there is hope ;)

I have no ideo what's the story of Dr.Strange, I'm not a comic nerd and I've never even heard that name before.

I hope the script has substance, I'll see the film anyway, but it would be nice if there is a interesting storyline.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

Board footera