BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2016 6:56 am  #761

Re: Doctor Strange (spoilers)

Hahaha! Mads did say a while ago that he was getting revenge for what Benedict did to his brother... LOL 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 28, 2016 6:57 am  #762

Or "But be careful, he's got an itchy trigger finger." 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 28, 2016 6:58 am  #763

Phantom, congratulations on your wonderful experience - and the blurry pictures. Believe me, blurry pictures are better than no pictures at all.
I can't believe though what you are telling us about people constantly getting up and sitting down and going away and coming back. Why on earth are they going to an event like this at all...? This is totally beyond me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 28, 2016 7:10 am  #764

Thank you!

And exactly my thought. And watching it in 3D, it's really frustrating every time someone walks in front of you, you get pulled out of it. 

I think it was one of those events where people who know people, or is someone, get free tickets... so I guess they care less about the whole thing; rather than people like me who have been waiting exactly 2 years and spent twice of a 'normal' 3D ticket to see it. I felt even worse for the girls from Germany and the one girl I talked to who traveled from Romania just to go to the premiere and a chance to see Mads. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 28, 2016 7:12 am  #765

SolarSystem wrote:

I can't believe though what you are telling us about people constantly getting up and sitting down and going away and coming back. Why on earth are they going to an event like this at all...? This is totally beyond me.

We had that conversation about annoying people in cinema before, hadn't we?
I was surprised when I was in cinema on Wednesday. Only a handful of people left straight after the film ended. Most of them waited for the two scenes.

@Phantom
Girls from Germany and Romania? Wow...

Last edited by gently69 (October 28, 2016 7:14 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 28, 2016 7:26 am  #766

Shoot me, but I'm convinced that nowadays most people just aren't able to sit still and concentrate on one particular thing anymore. As much as I love the internet and all the positive things that come with it, I also believe that all this technical progress makes people twitchy and also more inconsiderate.
For most movies I don't bother to go to the cinema anymore. Too much noise and all that.  And I used to loooooove to go to sold out sneak previews... but today I only would go to one of those if I knew that Benedict or David Tennant will show up. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 28, 2016 7:35 am  #767

I think you're very right about that!

It was actually talked about during a speech before the film... how the TV series and streaming and stuff made it amazing that people still bothered going to the cinema and watch it with other people... 

They gave out a prestigious award to a new director before the film... and those were her words. She was cute actually, saying she would be brief because she knew most people wanted to see Mads and the film. 

In a few hours I'm leaving to see it again... I need to get my money back for my friend's ticket and I checked the reserved seats... I think I'll ask if it's possible to move my seat while I'm cancelling my friend's ticket... so I can sit in front of people this time. Maybe I will actually get some peace then. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 28, 2016 8:41 am  #768

People making all kinds of noises in the cinema and walking in and our during the film are one of my pet peeves and the main reason why I don't go to the cinema more often. Fortunately the audience at the German premiere of Doctor Strange was quite attentive. Some people left during the credits so they missed the bonus scenes but maybe they had to catch the last train or bus or something. The film started late because we had a Q&A with Benedict, Tilda and Scott and they were a bit behind their schedule. Benedict had an extremely busy day in Berlin with photo calls, interviews and even an unplanned break due to a fire alarm! Seems he is so hot when he enters a building the alarm goes off! 

Anyway, I just wanted to share some pictures I took during the Q&A. That third row seat was a little too close to the screen for my liking but perfect for gazing at Tilda and Benedict. 

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

October 28, 2016 8:49 am  #769

Wow... uhmm... Nice...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 28, 2016 8:55 am  #770

Oh Diva, I'm so envious! And those pictures are amazing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 28, 2016 9:31 am  #771

Oh, I just saw a Danish interview with Ben about Mads Mikkelsen (by that horrible film critic who spent ages complaining about Benedict in The Imitation Game so bad it seemed personal...) and Ben turned to the camera "I LOVE Mads Mikkelsen. That's pretty obvious isn't it?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 28, 2016 1:43 pm  #772

Interesting screenings, Phantom and Diva! Thanks for sharing your adventures!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 28, 2016 1:47 pm  #773

Well, in my cinema there were lots of young men, giggling before the film started and during the trailers. So I was getting quite nervous that they would keep going on like that but once the film has started, it became very quiet. Laughter in the right moments, apart from that mostly stunned silence. And when I left afterwards, I passed a group of young guys and every second word I heard was "geil" (a colloquial German expression of enthusiasm also meaning "horny").  

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 28, 2016 2:11 pm  #774

SusiGo wrote:

Well, in my cinema there were lots of young men, giggling before the film started and during the trailers. So I was getting quite nervous that they would keep going on like that but once the film has started, it became very quiet. Laughter in the right moments, apart from that mostly stunned silence. And when I left afterwards, I passed a group of young guys and every second word I heard was "geil" (a colloquial German expression of enthusiasm also meaning "horny").  

So, they were saying Doctor Strange made them horny?  *giggle*  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 28, 2016 2:15 pm  #775

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

So, they were saying Doctor Strange made them horny?  *giggle*  

No big surprise there. 

October 28, 2016 8:00 pm  #776

I always liked that word, 'Geil'!

(BTW, this might be a bit spoilery but I'm trying my best... we're in a spoiler thread anyway...)

I was lucky this time... okay the first 5 minutes were hell with people coming in late, having to use their phones as flashlights... there were a few people looking at their phones during the movie... 
and I nearly lost it when the couple close to me started shaking their nacho trays to get the last bits. 

It should be illegal! But comparing to yesterday this went well! Okay... the cinema was only 1/3 full. Then again it was an afternoon screening on a work day. And it wasn't the 3D Imax version either. 

Which reminds me... I am glad I got to experience it in 3D, If you ever should watch one, that is one where it works. (only seen one other 3D film so yeah). But the effects still actually seemed 3D ish in this version. 

Oh... and I spotted one error today in the film that irked me... Christine was wearing nailpolish in the hospital. I as a secretary wasn't even allowed to wear nailpolish when I worked at a hospital. 

But maybe it tells you something that THAT was what stood out for me. 

I'm pretty blown away by this. And I can't wait for more from Doctor Strange in the future. I want to see where they take him next. While we have a few clues now having seen the post credit clips... 

He's an interesting character, and they did do that justice. It was nice to see his evolution and there was some cosmic jokes being played on him. Being faced with his own treatment when he himself needed the help... 

I liked that it was 'cartoony' they did a nice job as that. It still worked as a feature film but there were times where he looked like an action figure because of the perspective and I thought that was really cool. Not denying where he comes from! 

There was even (Not sure if it was intentional or not) nod to Sherlock... other than some of his overconfident behavior... I don't want to say it because it's better to experience it. But I only for a brief moment thought about Sherlock. This was Doctor Stephen Strange... coincidentally played by the same actor. 

There were some very, extremely trippy scenes and watching it in 3D actually nearly gave me motion sickness. 

Also... I need some help from people who have seen it. My best friend was supposed  to come with me today but she's still in psych ward, not doing too well... She's schizophrenic and often have psychosis, also why she's in the psych ward now... I'm not really an expert but I wonder if certain scenes could be bad for her... as in triggering her illness.

Could someone who's seen it help me out? I sort of want to 'keep her away' from it until she's much, much more stable.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 28, 2016 8:06 pm  #777

I really want to read your post and your thoughts about the movie, but I don't want any more spoilers since I'm watching it myself next Friday. So I'll wait until then.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 1, 2016 12:41 pm  #778

SEEING IT TONIGHT! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 1, 2016 12:45 pm  #779

Oh, so happy for you. My family loved it, my son's girlfriend and her mother loved it. And it has been quite big in German media as well. With good reason. Have lots of fun and fangirl moments! 

November 1, 2016 1:22 pm  #780

Apologies if this has already been posted here or elsewhere on the Forum but I just spotted this ad for Norelco razors on TV last night and wanted to share.  Short and sweet and made me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRHuuLH1Utw

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera