BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2014 1:15 pm  #21

Re: Coming back to HoB - the last scene in the light of series 3

Yes agreed@nakahara..Jim was "unhinged"....and maybe Mycroft didn't tell Sherlock...everything he knew also.

October 28, 2014 6:55 pm  #22

I think I'm going to have to watch TRF (yet) again.   There were quite a few moments that were ambiguous and I can't quite make my mind up about them.   It's actually possible to view it either way - Moriarty always a step ahead of Sherlock, or Sherlock always a step ahead of Moriarty.  Or maybe they sometimes cross over.   It's frustrating that that's not fully answered in TEH.   Not much more than the "fall" (a conjuring trick) was explained. 

The meeting at Kitty's flat is odd.  Sherlock looks shocked initially and goes through several expressions.    But ... this is a face to face moment with Moriarty, a time when Sherlock would not be giving anything away and would be playing him.  (And one of his expressions almost looks as if he's thinking "good move" about Moriarty - perhaps Moriarty WAS one step ahead there with the actor thing?).   He's also (later) needs John to believe that he's suicidal, so there might be an act for John's sake too.  So it's hard to be sure exactly what's going on.   When John shows Sherlock the Rich Brook story in the paper, Sherlock hardly glances at it.  He doesn't read it.  But he seems to know what's in it, and says that Moriarty has his whole life story.   Why would he think that unless he knew about Mycroft feeding him the information?  (The paper doesn't show anything obvious).

Last edited by Liberty (October 28, 2014 7:51 pm)

October 28, 2014 7:44 pm  #23

It seems to me that Sherlock had the whole thing planned up ahead, except three occassions where he was genuinely shocked:

Screaming girl. There´s no way he could foresee that.

Moriarty as a cabbie + the meeting with an assassin who was shot immediately after touching Sherlock. This was a chaos that got absolutely out of Sherlock´s hand.

Kitty Reilly´s flat. Sherlock was as floored by Moriarty´s appearance as we were. But he recovered quite quickly and continued to play his "game" according to his plan.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 28, 2014 7:49 pm  #24

I agree about the screaming girl.   The cabbie - I don't know, and I think that's a little ambiguous.  I watched it a few times because I couldn't make my mind up.   He does have the message (I owe you) beforehand, and then he sends John away, but then I think the assassin being shot has to be a surprise.

October 28, 2014 8:00 pm  #25

Well, after Sherlock steps out of Moriarty´s cab, he tries to stop it by force, then pursues it so recklessly he gets almost run down by a car. Doesn´t seem to me as if those actions of his were specially planned. They were more like a result of a shock.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera