BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2014 9:35 pm  #1

Women's Rights

Any fellow feminists here? People tend to think of feminists as being with the hippies and New Age group but I think you don't have to be a liberal progressive person to hold feminist views. You can also be a conservative feminist.

The fact that human trafficking, female abuse (including FGM) and female slavery is still prevalent across the globe means that feminists haven't actually come as far as they think they have.

Women still have to justify their choices while men can do whatever they want. If you're a man and you happen to be single or you choose to not have children, it's completely normal but if you're a lady, good luck trying to explain what planet you come from

Last edited by saturnR (October 6, 2014 9:38 pm)

October 7, 2014 1:15 am  #2

Re: Women's Rights

I'm sick of people using feminist as a dirty word.  Feminisim is simply the belief that women desrve all the same rights and respects that men do.  I am a feminist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 7, 2014 7:13 am  #3

Me, too! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 7, 2014 10:20 am  #4

And men can be feminists too. In fact, until they are...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2014 10:28 am  #5

Count me in. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 7, 2014 12:26 pm  #6

Are we gonna burn our bras now?   

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 7, 2014 6:20 pm  #7

Our what?  

Last edited by Harriet (October 7, 2014 6:26 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 7, 2014 6:26 pm  #8

I'd give myself 2 black eyes with my huge melons...
But yes, I am a feminist in a supportive bra!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2014 6:31 pm  #9

besleybean wrote:

I'd give myself 2 black eyes with my huge melons...
But yes, I am a feminist in a supportive bra!

Gosh, bb!!!
This sticks with me now...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 7, 2014 6:36 pm  #10

Well sadly I'm big all over!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2014 6:38 pm  #11

I'm big everywhere but there!  Big behind, small boobs.  I was robbed I tell ya!!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 7, 2014 6:53 pm  #12

I'd put in a complaint, if I was you!

October 7, 2014 7:00 pm  #13

I wish feminism didn't have to be a thing... but yes, I am one...

In fact I find feminism in a man so incredibly sexy... 

But I'm not sure I'm an actual feminist, I believe that everyone matters no matter what gender or gender identity they have, what colour, sexuality, lifestyle etc... No one should be less or seen as less than anyone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 7, 2014 7:13 pm  #14

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I wish feminism didn't have to be a thing... but yes, I am one...

In fact I find feminism in a man so incredibly sexy... 

But I'm not sure I'm an actual feminist, I believe that everyone matters no matter what gender or gender identity they have, what colour, sexuality, lifestyle etc... No one should be less or seen as less than anyone else.

Then you are a Feminist honey.  Don't be afraid of the word!  xoxoxoxoxox

Our Ben is a Feminist.  And don't we love him for it.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 7, 2014 7:30 pm  #15

Oh, I'm not afraid of the word, at all! And I'm happy to be one!

But I'm not just a feminist... what is that then, a humanist? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 7, 2014 7:36 pm  #16

Yep.
I am into human rights.

October 8, 2014 1:35 pm  #17

If feminism simply means that you believe that men and women should have equal rights then of course I'm a feminist. But to the actual schools of feminism, I agree with some more than others. 

October 8, 2014 2:48 pm  #18

What parts of Feminism do you not agree with?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 8, 2014 2:51 pm  #19

Count me in as well - as long as I don't have to burn my bra. It was super expensive and makes it looks like I have a lot more that I really do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 8, 2014 3:37 pm  #20

Even after baby?!

Board footera