BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



September 26, 2014 10:50 am  #1


What else could happen to Sherlock?

In the Empire interview linked here

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=189371#p189371

Benedict says when asked if there’s more to explore within Sherlock: “Oh, a lot. So much. We’ve never seen him being really pressed yet, so that will be interesting.”

Ahem. Faking his death, dismantling Moriarty's web, being tortured, organising a wedding, being shot, shooting a man in the head - if this is not being pressed, I wonder what is.

What do you think? My bet is on the danger of irrevocably losing John in some way and/or something connected to Mycroft. 
 


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

September 26, 2014 10:56 am  #2


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

The more I consider things the more I think the S4 cliffhanger has to be John in some sort of mortal danger.   I know we had the bonfire in TEH but in the world of Sherlock this could be considered a minor incident.  I think at the end of S4 we'll either get John rushing into danger and it being left where we and Sherlock don't know if he's dead or alive.


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg
 
 

September 26, 2014 11:01 am  #3


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

Yes, a much more dramatic Three Garridebs moment. Or Sherlock having to choose between saving either John or someone else. Not himself, we know he would not hesitate to give his own life for John's. 

But I think there could also be something about Mycroft because we saw them much closer to each other in series 3. Having him die would be against Canon but we know they are quite creative in interpreting their sources. 


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
     Thread Starter
 

September 26, 2014 11:08 am  #4


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

Something happening to Mycroft would be my second guess.

But I'm hoping for John.  Not that I want John to be hurt.  I just want to see Sherlock weeping with rage and sorrow.  http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg
 
 

September 26, 2014 11:09 am  #5


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

Bad, bad girl. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
     Thread Starter
 

September 26, 2014 1:56 pm  #6


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

Actually I could picture two scenarios:
it could be some sort of blah they all give to the press like " Oh, it's gonna be so much more devastating, funny, romantic, angsty....just anything in tv world times million" for just a bit of building up more tension.
Or they could go on for another season to milk the trope of Sherlock just doing anything to save John's marriage and family and happiness, more and more sacrificing himself and his own health and happiness and career.


------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.


"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

http://picload.org/image/lcowadi/osajrand2.jpg
 

September 26, 2014 2:03 pm  #7


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

SusiGo wrote:

Bad, bad girl. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

 
Tell me Ben wouldn't relish performing the scene!


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg
 
 

September 26, 2014 2:53 pm  #8


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

Another possibilities:  
- falling in love at the wrong moment or in the wrong person
- getting against Mycroft in a case in a serious way (till now Mycroft has accepted each time Sherlock had ruined his plans)
- his friendship with John put at stake once again 
 

 

September 26, 2014 2:57 pm  #9


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

Someone messing up his sock index? scnr 


Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.
 

September 26, 2014 2:59 pm  #10


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

"Never seen him being really pressed yet" has got to be the Understatement of the Week. Or Month. Or Year. What kind of man would say that about Sherlock, an idiot, a drunk, or a criminal? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/stoned.png


Supposing that the scripts for Season 4 are not yet written, much less being circulated among the cast and crew, of course this is just the usual media blah blah.

That said, I think I find Sherlock almost-but-not-really-crying much worse to bear than a full-on storm of tears would be...

They're not going to be stupid and kill John off. Talk about sawing off the branch you're sitting on.

What I would find interesting would be a scenario (whatever it is, maybe something to do with Mary, maybe something engineered by Mycroft) which really threatens to break John and Sherlock's friendship apart. There was a hint of that in TRF, but even then John never seriously doubted Sherlock, and not for long, at any rate. And while John kind of moves away from Sherlock in series 3 in more than one sense, with Mary and all, and is truly pissed off at him in the Leinster Gardens/221b confrontation sequence, Sherlock just lets him, even follows him as far as he can, never letting John doubt his friendship, never making John feel like he has to choose between Mary and him.

I'd like to see something happening that truly shakes the foundations of that friendship with all sorts of doubts and disappointments and coflicting loyalties and what have you (as long, of course, as it is restored in the end).

Last edited by La Jolie (September 26, 2014 3:21 pm)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

 
 

September 26, 2014 3:26 pm  #11


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

La Jolie wrote:

Supposing that the scripts for Season 4 are not yet written, much less being circulated among the cast and crew, of course this is just the usual media blah blah.

 
No full scripts yet no.
However, Moffat and Gatiss have said they sat down with the actors and explained to them where S4 was going to go.  They said it reduced them all to tears!


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg
 
 

September 26, 2014 3:36 pm  #12


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

La Jolie wrote:

What I would find interesting would be a scenario (whatever it is, maybe something to do with Mary, maybe something engineered by Mycroft) which really threatens to break John and Sherlock's friendship apart. There was a hint of that in TRF, but even then John never seriously doubted Sherlock, and not for long, at any rate. And while John kind of moves away from Sherlock in series 3 in more than one sense, with Mary and all, and is truly pissed off at him in the Leinster Gardens/221b confrontation sequence, Sherlock just lets him, even follows him as far as he can, never letting John doubt his friendship, never making John feel like he has to choose between Mary and him.

I'd like to see something happening that truly shakes the foundations of that friendship with all sorts of doubts and disappointments and coflicting loyalties and what have you (as long, of course, as it is restored in the end).

 
Gosh, LaJolie, you're cruel... That tarmac scene with their conflicting emotions was quite enough shaking through of their friendship, I want balance to my universe!!
Agree with the held back tears though...


------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.


"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

http://picload.org/image/lcowadi/osajrand2.jpg
 

September 26, 2014 3:48 pm  #13


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

La Jolie wrote:

"Never seen him being really pressed yet" has got to be the Understatement of the Week. Or Month. Or Year. What kind of man would say that about Sherlock, an idiot, a drunk, or a criminal? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/stoned.png


Supposing that the scripts for Season 4 are not yet written, much less being circulated among the cast and crew, of course this is just the usual media blah blah.

That said, I think I find Sherlock almost-but-not-really-crying much worse to bear than a full-on storm of tears would be...

They're not going to be stupid and kill John off. Talk about sawing off the branch you're sitting on.

What I would find interesting would be a scenario (whatever it is, maybe something to do with Mary, maybe something engineered by Mycroft) which really threatens to break John and Sherlock's friendship apart. There was a hint of that in TRF, but even then John never seriously doubted Sherlock, and not for long, at any rate. And while John kind of moves away from Sherlock in series 3 in more than one sense, with Mary and all, and is truly pissed off at him in the Leinster Gardens/221b confrontation sequence, Sherlock just lets him, even follows him as far as he can, never letting John doubt his friendship, never making John feel like he has to choose between Mary and him.

I'd like to see something happening that truly shakes the foundations of that friendship with all sorts of doubts and disappointments and coflicting loyalties and what have you (as long, of course, as it is restored in the end).

Yes, i think this should came, especially as John has to work on his issues also... But i don't know if it would be for the special, or for S4...

I wonder anyway if the special will be in the arch or will be christmassy and happy. I hope not becuase i want to beginn where S3 left us and share some light about Mary and why John and Sherlock give her another chance.
 

 

September 26, 2014 4:08 pm  #14


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

tonnaree wrote:

No full scripts yet no.
However, Moffat and Gatiss have said they sat down with the actors and explained to them where S4 was going to go.  They said it reduced them all to tears!

Oh, I think I missed that piece of information! Well, in that case, we'd better wrap up warm. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/errr.png


UNLESS it's all just about taking Mary and the Baby out of the equation, and that wouldn't reduce me to tears in the slightest. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/devious.png


Talking of the Baby, I can't help suspecting that if the special really is a Christmas special, we're in for some very sticky sweet Christmas fluff featuring Baby Watson.

I'd much prefer it to be a quick and final resolution to the "Moriarty is Back" thing.


mrshouse wrote:

Gosh, LaJolie, you're cruel...

Yeah, I know. Don't read some of my fanfic. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/stoned.png
That said, I did find the tarmac scene very sad and totally heartbreaking in every way. But I felt that it was more about John and Sherlock preserving their friendship even in the face of great adversity, rather than them questioning their friendship as such. The latter is what we haven't really seen yet and what I'd find psychologically interesting to explore.




 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

 
 

September 26, 2014 5:52 pm  #15


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

I thought the same about the quote!  How pressed can one man be? 

They can't kill off John, and they'd better not kill off Mycroft! 

I like the idea of some sort of "Sophie's Choice" scenario that has been mentioned.   Sherlock made a vow to John, Mary and the baby, but choosing between John and Mary would be much too easy, wouldn't it?   Choosing between John and the baby would be difficult though.  Could John forgive him for choosing John over his child? 

Benedict is so good at crying that it does seem a shame not to put that in at some point.  I'd prefer it to be a one-off, when Sherlocks alone - nobody else ever knows or sees.  Except us, the audience.    He's quite resolute and unshakeable even when extremely challenged, and I would like to see him almost lose it. 

He could be in a very perilous situation (or put others in a very perilous situation) through his own actions and mistakes.  I think that has been touched on, but it could go further.  Maybe this is how he'll end up having to choose between John and the baby - through his own fault and failings. 

If it's going to be so terrible for him, I think I might need a proper happy ending to S4. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 26, 2014 6:09 pm)

 

September 27, 2014 12:25 pm  #16


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

That's going to sound harsh and wrong, but reading announcements like that make me feel a bit bored. Superlatives make me feel uneasy and a bit defensive. And Reichenbach reduced me to tears quite well, thank you, so give me something new. I'm longing for some crime solving with John, and not for another Mycroft-saves-Sherlock-saves-John-saves-Mary-saves-probably-baby script. Action fine, tears fine, but... could they please go into detail, be more subtle, and stop saving worlds and wifes? My wish for christmas.

Also I think Benedict wouldn't judge his character wrong, would he? I wonder what he means by "really pressed". I agree, if everything Sherlock had on his plate this far doesn't qualify for that category, I'm really a bit at a loss. Maybe I've gotten Sherlocks character quite wrong, but there are moments when he panicks. And shooting people because there's no other way out, that's what someone under pressure does, right? Or is shooting Magnusson just... one action among others? Risking exile and death but pressure? noooo.
I'd rather believe it's talky talky for the media


_____________________________________________________________

"It is what it is."

http://i58.tinypic.com/2j432ti.jpg
 

September 27, 2014 2:33 pm  #17


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

I'm sure whatever it is, the show will continue to be the best TV ever.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

September 27, 2014 2:37 pm  #18


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

You don't sound harsh and wrong to me at all, Whisky. I totally agree, my expectations of and wishes for S4 are very much like yours.

I mistrust superlatives, too. OK, in terms of scale and scope, S3 was bigger than S1 and S2, and it worked (for me, at least), but I hope that TPTB know that always going even bigger and bigger with a sequel is not always the best way to making it better and better. There are many examples of things going wrong like that in the history of movie-making...

But then, what would it sound like if Mofftiss were to talk about S4 like, "Yeah, we'll just slow things down a bit. More deductions. Less life and death. More sitting in their armchairs in 221b, bantering happily. Less earth-shaking revelations about wives and lost brothers. More two guys just having fun." Even if they're going to do S4 that way (which would be totally fine with me), they're never going to sell it that way. Talking about sequels in superlatives is part of the game. I would be seriously surprised if they sounded any different at this point.


And I'm sure Benedict judges his character perfectly whenever he's actually playing him or preparing to play him, otherwise we would never have seen what we have seen so far. But whenever he's off doing a hundred other projects and the shooting of S4 not even scheduled yet, he's entitled, in my opinion, to focus on those other projects and just do meaningless talky-talky about Sherlock. I think we identify him so much with the role that we think he must "live" Sherlock 24/7, 365 days a year, but of course he doesn't. That's the whole point of being a professional, isn't it, that you don't.

Last edited by La Jolie (September 27, 2014 2:40 pm)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

 
 

September 27, 2014 4:15 pm  #19


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

La Jolie wrote:

  "Yeah, we'll just slow things down a bit. More deductions. Less life and death. More sitting in their armchairs in 221b, bantering happily. Less earth-shaking revelations about wives and lost brothers. More two guys just having fun."

I'd be so happy Although it's really not about more fun. Just more... down-to-earth maybe. Wanting Benedict to play Bond doesn't mean I want Sherlock to go Bond-ish.

I don't know. Yes I think Benedict has to "just talk" about his roles sometimes, but I don't think he just tells "something". So far I got the feeling he knows what he's saying even if he has loads of projects. Ok, maybe except sometimes announcing series that aren't confirmed yet, but apart from that... ;) That's why I'm confused.


_____________________________________________________________

"It is what it is."

http://i58.tinypic.com/2j432ti.jpg
 

September 27, 2014 4:24 pm  #20


Re: What else could happen to Sherlock?

I hope it's right!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum