BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2012 8:41 am  #1

Irene's Christmas Gift

Irene's gift to Sherlock is her precious camera phone, but how did she text him saying "mantlepiece" if the phone was already there and wrapped up?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 28, 2012 8:49 am  #2

Re: Irene's Christmas Gift

She has another phone, the one with which she was talking to Moriarty. The camera phone (I think) was never used as a phone, only as a camera and some sort of hard drive to keep the photos safe.
She texts/speaks with the other phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 28, 2012 8:58 am  #3

Oh geez; this is the generation of extra phones. Get with it Sherlock!
lol

HMMMM.. although........

I see a problem here.
(main one is that I have to go online to watch now; daughter has kidnapped DVDs)

OK, don't answer unless you have re-watched *& checked these things.

Irene texted Sherlock when she was gonna be beheaded.
'Goodbye Mr Holmes'
Now the 'info phone' was in the hands of Mycroft at the time because it was handed back to John and then to Sherlock at the end..
Did the phone texts that Sherlock was reading at the end include all the other texts? It did contain " goodbye Mr Holmes".

Irene has a phone with her when talking to John when she was supposed to be dead. She read lotsa texts from that.
Were those texts on the phone Sherlock read at the end?

I'm thinking a slip in continuity here. Not sure.
Shall report back later.
Could be dangerous.

Last edited by kazza474 (April 28, 2012 9:05 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 28, 2012 9:18 am  #4

No wait hang on, I think when Sherlock reads all the texts at the end he's looking at his own phone. Not sure though, watching it right now and haven't got to that part yet.

The two phones theory does seem to make sense though. She has one phone to do her day to day chatting on and the camera phone is just her "insurance".

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 28, 2012 9:22 am  #5

Wel yes, 2 phones would be obvious but I think we will find that the texts are all on one phone which cannot be as the 'goodbye' one wouldn't be on a confiscated phone would it?
I'd say a slip up there.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 28, 2012 9:24 am  #6

Kazza, I think Sherlock looks at the messages in his own phone at the end of ASiB, not in Irene's camera phone (which has had it's memory deleted). That's why we can read all of her messages, because it's Sherlock's phone, not hers.

If you need proved, I've just rewatched that scene. When John gives him Irene's camera phone, Sherlock puts it in his pocket. Once John's left, he takes his own phone from the table (I think it's an iPhone) and starts reading the messages. We see a lot of them, including the "Goodbye Mr. Holmes". The he goes to the window, we see him saving her, etc.

So, Irene had another phone, the one she used to speak to Jim, to text Sherlock when she left the camera phone at his flat, to text him "I'm not dead", and to text him "Goodbye Mr. Holmes". I don't know if it's always from the same phone, but it doesn't matter. Because the texts at the end are all in Sherlock's phone.

At least, that's what I get from all of this...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 28, 2012 9:33 am  #7

Hmm that's a point Irene, on the 'his own phone' thing.

Actually I noticed the phone going in the pocket & then him getting out a different one (or one on the table or something) ages ago & thought it a break in continuity but I didn't post it as , at the time it seemed there were people who just wanted to pull apart everything 'wrong' with the shows, lol. That gets a bit boring to see, lol.

Actually I remember now, I thought he grabbed a phone off the table or something.

hmm
That does it, gotta go watch now . lol

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 28, 2012 9:41 am  #8

Yes, it could have been a continuity mistake, but I don't think it is. He is at the microscope, he puts Irene's camera phone into his left pocket and then takes the phone in the table. And after we see her rescue scene, he takes the phone in his left pocket as he puts his own phone in his right pocket. The he opens a drawer and puts Irene's phone in it. I'm pretty sure the texts are read from Sherlock's phone.
Tell me what yo think when you watch it 

By the way, I think there are a lot of continuity errors in the falling scene in Reichenbach. But that's another matter...

April 28, 2012 9:45 am  #9

Ok gonna watch it now.
And gonna do something completely different for me lately. I am gonna watch the WHOLE SHOW! lol

But yes on the continuity thing in Reichenbach. I just don't post about them because there is this increasing trend for people to get all 'high and mighty' when they discover a mistake. And they lose the beauty of the shows.
To them I want to say " go make your own then Speilberg/Kubrick/Lucas or whoever you think you are!"
I'm very protective of Moftiss.

OK, off to watch a show!!!!!!!!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera