BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2014 3:36 am  #1

Cyber Commitments & internet moderation

Not trying to cozy up to the staff or anything but if you've ever run a website or a blog or a forum, you know how much time & effort goes into basically an unpaid job (let's call it what it is; it's a second occupation).

If you are a mod (whether this forum or any other large community or website), what drives you? What keeps you committed to your mod duties? If you're a regular member like me, what's your take on online moderation?

September 24, 2014 12:23 pm  #2

Re: Cyber Commitments & internet moderation

In my ever so humble opinioin, good mods can make or break a forum.   They are essential in making sure lively discussion doesn't turn into a free for all of name calling when people disagree.

They also help maintain a certain level of decorum.  One thing I like about this place is that we don't spend an obsessive amount of time speculating on who BC is or is not dating.   I enjoy fangirling over how handsome and talented he is and discussing his projects and charity work but anything else is just not my business.

I have had the privilage of being a part of a couple of really great discussion forums since I became active online and I've made good friends at them.  However, so many other places I've visited are just horrible.  Just the comments on your average news site make me want to run for cover.  Good mods make a huge difference and (not sucking up I swear)  we have some very good mods.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 24, 2014 1:39 pm  #3

I also really like the culture on this board (well, duh, or I wouldn't be here). People are mature, tend to take the whole thing with a grain of salt and all the heated discussions are conducted in a polite and respectful manner. 

I've never moderated a forum so I don't really know what mods do though I have occasionally seen a mod warning someone who was violating a rule or being rude or something. I'm sure it greatly contributes to attrackting the right kind of people. People who just want negative attention tend to leave this forum once they learn how things go here. (Or do they all get banned? As I said, I don't really know exactly what mods do.) 

I'm sure good moderation makes the difference between a forum full of spam, trolls and angry people and a forum full of happy people having a great time. 

September 24, 2014 3:25 pm  #4

Well, I basically try to do what you said before: ensure that this a place where people can have fun and discuss things in a respectful way. Delete topics by spambots. Give the one or other warning when members get insulting or delve to deep into Benedict's or other actors' private lives. 

Most of the time it is fun. Sometimes not when people cannot separate my speaking as a mod from my personal views or insinuate that one cannot turn to me with problems because I am biased (as a Johnlocker or whatever). I have never been a mod before but by now I have some experience and the only thing that I still wish for is a bit more input from the other mods. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 24, 2014 3:28 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 24, 2014 3:47 pm  #5

That's how it goes, I guess.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 24, 2014 4:03 pm  #6

Oh, I didn't know you would moderate that too. Actually makes a lot of sense; respect for each other and also respect for the actors and the people from the show.

September 24, 2014 4:55 pm  #7

Only very rarely. It does not happen very often that people speculate about sexual preferences, etc. so I usually do not have to intervene. There is really a lot of love and respect for the actors and the whole team on this board. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 24, 2014 6:22 pm  #8

There was that one time I mentioned an actor's butt but I did apologize profusely for that. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 24, 2014 8:11 pm  #9

I've been a mod since I was 16. 

It was a feeling of pride all the first time I was asked to do it. It was something I very much believed in I got to do. Most of my modwork has been with fanfic. There was a culture of having very sexual fan fics without warnings on open boards where there were a lot of very young people visiting, I knew several members who were 13. So for me it was a commitment to a cause I believed in. I actually created my own job description... Fan Fiction mod... but I also became a global mod. 

I have been modding several forums, never applying for the position but being asked personally by the bosses. (Which to me was a big part in being so committed because there was that pride of the job.) And I loved the fan community (Michael Jackson fans).

Right now I co-own and mod an MJ forum but I don't feel too commited this time... I even paid part of the place... but I lost faith in the community since his death split the fans in several camps who started to fight each other. 

Mods certainly can make or break a place. I used to spy on a forum (because they posted threats about me personally etc.). They were angry about the rules I was enforcing and created a forum completely without rules... where apparently it was even okay to talk openly about what they wanted to do about actual people.... that forum got very out of hand and it died down.

I've had a really bad experience with a mod on another fanforum for an actor. One very popular girl suddenly had a meltdown because she misunderstood something I said, she deleted her messages and made me look bad... it evolved to cyber bullying and I came to a mod who used to be my friend, but was also her friend. I was careful about what I said when I asked for help... without even hearing my side I got a long reply full of so much abuse. 
I'm not one who stand for revenge... but when I left after all that, being the most active member there the forum suddenly died completely. (not just because of me, but also because the actor said he hated his fans)... the only activity the site has had in a year is people commenting on my fan fics! 

Had that mod done her job right and not taken sides, things could have been a lot different... (I did report her to the boss, copied what she wrote and she got a telling off... which only made hell hotter for me). 

EDIT: I just visited the place... apparently they had a bit of a revival lately... good for them! But yeah. My statement is still the same. Mods can make or break a forum

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (September 24, 2014 8:37 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 25, 2014 5:48 am  #10

I've been the member of so many and also different kinds of fora...
So I'll try and keep this to three Sherlock ones I've belonged to(though I'm actually a member of a fourth as well!), as that seems the most relevant.
The first one I belonged to was hacked and collapsed. The admin hummed and hawed , but then decided not to carry on with it.
He(yes, the only male admin I've encountered!) was a non Johnlocker and that caused a bit of hassle for Johnlockers.
I don't remember him employing any mods...mind you, I wasn't there very long!

My old forum I techically still; belong to, though hardly any of us ever post there anymore.
The interesting one about that is there hasn't been any active staff for years...I'm amazed the place is even still there, after such neglect.
There were a few issues.
1. One of the mods was a 14 yeard old girl, when I first joined...ok she may actually be 18 NOW. But at the time it was ludicrous.  She was lovely, but she honestly hadn't a clue.
2. The admin surrounded herself with like minded folk and any dissent resulted in silencing orders, kicking people off or driving them away...
3. The staff group  then all got bored and left, so there you have a forurm which nobody much uses and none of us can do anything about it.
Thank goodness I was told about here!

Last edited by besleybean (November 3, 2014 7:49 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera