BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2012 7:20 am  #1

John's reaction to Sherlock's deduction

A part that always makes me laugh is when they're in the museum and Sherlock works out why the painting's a fake with seconds to spare, there's this moment where John just stands there for ages looking at the painting being amazed at Sherlock and making these little noises, it's hilarious!

But how did Sherlock manage to work it out anyway with his limited knowledge of the solar system? I know he checked it on his phone but he must have had some sort of idea in order to utilise a phone search. What d'you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 28, 2012 8:19 am  #2

Re: John's reaction to Sherlock's deduction

I think he heard something about supernovas while fighting with the Golem, and that made him look for that in his phone

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 28, 2012 8:28 am  #3

He knew what year the painting was painted and he heard the commentary say that the Supernova was discovered at a later date than that. He just needed to recall all that he had heard. No doubt he went to his 'astronomy' file in his mind.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 28, 2012 8:43 am  #4

It's lucky they arrived at the planetarium when that part of the commentary was playing then!

April 28, 2012 8:50 am  #5

Yes, pretty lucky. But the tape was casually going onwards and backwards all the time (I think Prof. Cairns' falling in the hands of the Golem had something to do with that) 

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 28, 2012 8:52 am  #6

Luck has no part in it.
Sherlock always knows where to be and when!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 3:33 am  #7

Love that photo of Mycroft here in this thread!!   Sherlock heard something about supernovas...we all did....then he checked his phone....and It still amazes me  that he named the CORRECT  supernova,  because the tape in the planetarium didn't say which supernova had exploded.  But,  he's smart,  and he DID  deduce why the painting was fake.   Brilliant!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 20, 2012 3:34 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 20, 2012 9:47 am  #8

sherlockskitty wrote:

.....................But,  he's smart,  and he DID  deduce why the painting was fake.  Brilliant!!

Do you know you do that out loud?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 10:02 am  #9

sherlockskitty wrote:

Love that photo of Mycroft here in this thread!!

You mean my signature? I love Mycroft so much...

May 22, 2012 7:03 am  #10

kazza474 wrote:

sherlockskitty wrote:

.....................But,  he's smart,  and he DID  deduce why the painting was fake.  Brilliant!!

Do you know you do that out loud?

Oh,  sorry,  I'll shut up now.    LOL

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 22, 2012 11:07 am  #11

No, no. Carry on. It's fine.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 23, 2012 7:20 pm  #12

hee hee hee!!!   

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

October 5, 2012 7:54 pm  #13

Er but Moriarty knew Sherlock would have heard the clue in the tape.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 20, 2012 10:07 pm  #14

Yes...and Sherlock probably knew that Moriarty would have dropped them a hint or a clue at some point, and that he just had to work out what it was. When he studied the painting and noticed the supernova, it probably jogged his memory back to the planetarium where the word "supernova" was mentioned and I think a date was mentioned too. Then maybe he put "supernova" and that date into his phone and came up with the Van Buren one and realised the dates didn't work out.

November 20, 2012 11:47 pm  #15

Luckily for the captive little boy, Sherlock's smartphone or Blackberry (or whatever it was) worked at lightening speed in this scene and he had the answer in about 1 second.  If it were my phone, that poor kid would be dead a hundred times over  - and I'd still be waiting for it to connect!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 21, 2012 7:11 am  #16

This is of course discussed on the commentary.  Benedict even suggests that lack of phone signal could be a plot aspect in HOUND, but I see Mark completely disregarded this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 21, 2012 8:22 am  #17

Phones on TV are always a little SOR... we had a similar discussion regarding the camera phones used in SCANDAL, and of course the same is true for the museum scene.
I don't know what it is like in London, but in Vienna most galleries and museums are old buildings with strong walls and rooms facing inwards, so the phone signal reception would be quite weak.

But then again, right from the start of S1, mobile phones feature heavily (probably even more than necessary) to drive home the idea of "modern Sherlock Holmes" using modern technology.The phones are basically a symbol of 21st century life.
It is therefore a given that all phones work perfectly all the time.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

November 21, 2012 8:37 am  #18

Unless the plot requires them, suddenly, to not work or not have signal. You know, at the time when it will cause the most problems...

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 21, 2012 10:33 am  #19

Davina wrote:

Unless the plot requires them, suddenly, to not work or not have signal. You know, at the time when it will cause the most problems...

True! Such a modern TV/film classic... a character is completely alone and in urgent need of help, when suddenly their phone stops working

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

November 21, 2012 10:30 pm  #20

There is a wonderful circularity to The Great Game puzzles, starting with Carl Powers' trainers and finishing with the child with the bomb vest. Just in case Sherlock thought that anyone might be sacrosanct, clearly no-one is. For Moriarty anyone is fair game.

Board footera