BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2014 9:14 am  #41

Re: How much does real life play into the shows/books/artists you support?

I've been thinking about this question for a while and wondering whether to name names, because if I turn against somebody in this way it's a gut feeling, not an evidence-based decision.   There are a couple of actors that I don't like to watch because of past allegations.   At the same time, I'm aware the media can make or break reputations (Magnusson!), without any real evidence or truth.    It's not a reasoned decision to not support them, but just that I find it difficult to look at them and not associate them with what I've heard.  

It doesn't matter quite so much with authors, directors, etc., because I'm looking at their work, rather than looking directly into their faces!  Different political and religious views don't always bother me - it depends.  Often writers from the past reflect views of the time, and I try to accept that. 

In the UK, there has been a lot of publicity recently about celebrities who have been accused of various sex crimes.  I think we probably all knew that sexual assaults on children and teenagers were rife, but I think it has been a bit of a shock to see just how accepted and institutionalised it was back then.  I've welcomed this publicity because, thank goodness, it's now talked about, and considered OK for people to report these crimes (when I was young, people were strongly discouraged from involving the police).  But we can never see our childhood TV viewing in the same way again!   It definitely affects how I view the performers now - I feel uncomfortable watching them. 

September 28, 2014 9:56 am  #42

Re: How much does real life play into the shows/books/artists you support?

I can't really think of any actors that fall into the category you are describing...well one,who is also a prominent singer- but  I've always hated him!
But there was in recent years(certainly in the UK) a very high profile case about a famous(married with kids) actor taking out a super injunction against revelations over a sex scandal.
He was named on Twitter.
I believe firstly wrongly as somebody else...
Then there was a name that came to me.
He is very popular and certainly known in our fandoms and amongst the actors and writers we love,....I can never quite feel the same about him again- if indeed it is him.

Last edited by besleybean (September 28, 2014 9:59 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera