BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2014 10:14 am  #1

How much does real life play into the shows/books/artists you support?

Like if you find out the actor to your favourite character on TV is actually a total ass in real life, does it change your initial love of said character?

If you find out the writer of your favourite book actually holds very different principals in his own life. Like he could be preaching love and tolerance but it turns out he can be a bit racist in real life.

Basically, if the creator has double standards but the message in his original work or in the character he plays is still an inspiring one, would you continue to support the message or would you boycott it because of the double standard?

September 22, 2014 12:23 pm  #2

Re: How much does real life play into the shows/books/artists you support?

I've had this happen to me several times but the worst case was with the writer of Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card. 

The Ender series has always meant a lot to me.  The second book, "Speaker for the Dead" is one of my most loved books of all time.  I even had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Card a few times at conventions.  He was always friendly and funny.

Then in the last few years he's become very outspoken on the subject of gay rights and marriage equality.  He is fanantically against them.  He has said some terribly hateful things in the press, things that actually hurt me.  To think that the man who wrote those brilliant deeply moving books could be so bitter and self rightous - It makes me so sad.

I will always love the Ender books.  I have them and I will keep them.  However, I will never buy another book of his again.  I can't give my money to someone who would speak like he does about people I love.

Last edited by tonnaree (September 22, 2014 12:24 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 22, 2014 1:31 pm  #3

Muhahhhaaaaaa, i was exactly to write about Orson Scott Card. 

Hypocrits throw me off. Those crying on TV about giving money to the poor and after that not giving thier money to the taxes. Or those being pedo, doing crimes, behaving anti-social. But not someone for having just a different opinion as mine (as long it doesn't cross the line of law). 

I do not put any celebrity, writer, actor, artist on a pedestal. They have the right to have thier own opinions, i don't want to see only nice PC-clones, because we will not evolve as a society when we all we will have the same opinions - we had that with the time of religions in Europe when thinking other way was seen as a blasphemy. In that time there was a very slowly evolution in science, for example. So, i don't want for the celebrities to have my own opinions, if they have fine, but sometimes i learn more from those who have other mind, because i have to grow up and think what is right and what is wrong. I might never understand the other opinion, but i put mine into perspective. 

I understand that Card is a very religious person and see this problem from another POV as mine. It could never influence my opinion on that matter as i am not so conservative in my believes. Is he the only person holding on this traditional religious opinion? No, he is not (sadly) - i come from a country with other traditional religion, i have already seen discussions like that. That is way is good when the laws are not made from a religous point of view and when country and religion are different matters. I think that only a gay person himself should have the decision if he wants or not to marry because of his own religion and not because of the other persons religion. 

Cut short, i will still love  and read Card's books, but what he says as a person are not my opinions and i don't take them only because i like his books and his work. I and Card agree to disagree . When a book of him will be racist, i would withdraw my support. 

People should think for themself not take the opinions of someone because is a celebrity (and normally a celebrity in totally another area as the opinion area). At the same time people should accept that we are all different and respect the right to have other opinions, even the celebrity. God, how boring are those celebrities who are totally PC and say only nice nice nice MOR phrases as if is a beauty pageant contest.  

This extends to books and shows. While here is a different matter as they are opinion carrier, while a writer and an artist are also private personalities with the right to have their own ideas. I woudn't support a racist book or show, one denigrating human beings. But i would support those books and shows putting something into discussion in a sensible way, even when are also opinions which i would never support. From the same reason as above: they make me think, further research, confront my own opinions to see how much is biased or prejudiced. 

Edit to add: there is a matter of how much a person tryes to inflict an opinion on other people. Is one thing to put it to discussion or to support an idea by democratic means and another thing to dicriminate the people who are not acting like in your opinion one should. You might not agree with gay marriage but you have no right to discriminate the gay people who married. 

Last edited by A lovely light (September 22, 2014 1:45 pm)

September 22, 2014 2:09 pm  #4

I see my no longer buying Card's books the same as no longer buying food from Papa John's pizza or Chick-fil-A or shopping at Hobby Lobby.  They have a right to their opinions yes, but I also have a right to express my opinion by not supporting their businesses.  Why would I give money to a business that turns around and uses their profits to support organizations that want to harm the lives of people I care about.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 22, 2014 2:58 pm  #5

I don't know any of these companies. What is the problem? The money they give the worker, the work conditions or the environmental issues?

September 22, 2014 3:48 pm  #6

A lovely light wrote:

I don't know any of these companies. What is the problem? The money they give the worker, the work conditions or the environmental issues?

Papa John's gives money to extreme conservative organizations that push for legislation harmful to the environment and Women's and Gay rights.  Chick-fil-a supports orgaizations that seek to deny gay people basic human rights.   And Hobby Lobby wants to be able to deny their employees access to birth control through their healthy insurance.

For a start.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 22, 2014 7:46 pm  #7

From where do you find this kind of information? Normally i find in our papers problems about paying / work conditions / ecology , but this kind not.

September 22, 2014 7:59 pm  #8

This happened to me once...

I was a BIG fan of an actor, he had played a character that changed my life even... I was in love with him and I dreamed about meeting him.

Turns out his fans were a bunch of cyber bullies and while I'm not vindictive, I'm actually glad the fan forum I was chased out of died soon after. (sorry!).

I heard some fan accounts that he had been terribly rude to both fans as well as interviewers and yeah... my love spell was broken for good.

The film with that character is still very special to me, and it will always be... but it's not the same. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 22, 2014 8:35 pm  #9

tonnaree wrote:

A lovely light wrote:

Papa John's gives money to extreme conservative organizations that push for legislation harmful to the environment and Women's and Gay rights.  Chick-fil-a supports orgaizations that seek to deny gay people basic human rights.   And Hobby Lobby wants to be able to deny their employees access to birth control through their healthy insurance.

For a start.

That kind of companies give me the creeps! I completely understand your position...

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

September 22, 2014 9:02 pm  #10

A lovely light wrote:

From where do you find this kind of information? Normally i find in our papers problems about paying / work conditions / ecology , but this kind not.

Don't know where you're from Lovely but here in the US most of that stuff is public record.  And the stuff with Hobby Lobby was all over the news because they took their case to court all the way up to the supreme court.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 22, 2014 11:22 pm  #11

Germany. I don't think that a company would support publicy in Germany something like that, i have never heard here about something similar (which it doesn't mean it doesn't exist) that was why i was asking, as i was really not aware, but i don't follow the US reality in deep. 

September 23, 2014 1:19 am  #12

Now worries.  Our reality isn't that deep.  *giggles*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 23, 2014 4:45 am  #13

A lovely light wrote:

Germany. I don't think that a company would support publicy in Germany something like that, i have never heard here about something similar (which it doesn't mean it doesn't exist) that was why i was asking, as i was really not aware, but i don't follow the US reality in deep. 

Well,there are companies selling their products in Germany I try to avoid, too. For example, I try to stay away from products sold by Nestle (which is difficult because they seem to be everywhere) because their actions is Africa regarding drinking water and children's labour is more than dubious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 23, 2014 7:06 am  #14

Schmiezi wrote:

Well,there are companies selling their products in Germany I try to avoid, too. For example, I try to stay away from products sold by Nestle (which is difficult because they seem to be everywhere) because their actions is Africa regarding drinking water and children's labour is more than dubious.

True, given how many companies worldwide Nestlé actually owns, avoiding them is almost impossible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nestl%C3%A9_brands
Really too bad. I really (used to) like some of those brands...

Back to topic: I tried to recall if I was ever truly disappointed by a certain statement a celebrity/author/actor/musician made in an interview or wherever, but there's nothing that comes back to mind. So, what they said probably wasn't all that bad or it just wasn't important or bad enough for me to remember.

What I do remember though is something the drummer of a band once did. His band was small (and it doesn't exist anymore), but I liked and supported them a lot. At their concerts I often took pictures and I maintained a little website where I uploaded some of them. As soon as the band got wind of that, they linked my page to their official site which was great. The drummer and I were friends (at least kind of) and those few months as their 'number one fan' (I didn't come up with that term, the drummer did) were amazing. But one day, when I took a look at their official site, I realised that they had taken down the link to my page. That hurt quite a bit. It wasn't that I didn't get the message, it would have been nice if the drummer had just told me. But then straightforward honesty is not everyone's cup of tea.

There were no bad feelings though. I moved on and so did the band. And I still love their songs and still think they were great. Far from perfect or outstanding, but they always bring back all the feels I had back then.

Last edited by eurydike (September 23, 2014 7:07 am)

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

September 23, 2014 7:12 am  #15

Same for me with Nestle although it is quite difficult. 

I never ever buy Müllermilch products (dairy company) because of their misuse of public funds, rumours of support for a right-wing party and the general idiocy of their adverts using so-called stars no one with a brain wants to see on TV. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 23, 2014 12:01 pm  #16

I've had actors disapoint me too.  I use to really like Mel Gibson.  Not LOVE like with BC or anything but I thought he was handsome and I enjoyed his movies. 
But as he got older and started getting caught drunk making all sorts of racist statements in public, well, it really turned my stomech.   Haven't watched a film of his in years.

Same thing happened with Tom Cruise.  The Scientology stuff just weirded me out.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 23, 2014 3:43 pm  #17

I agree.
But my pal won't have a word said against him.
Apparently he worked his way up from nothing and is fantastic with his fans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 23, 2014 6:48 pm  #18

besleybean wrote:

I agree.
But my pal won't have a word said against him.
Apparently he worked his way up from nothing and is fantastic with his fans.

Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 23, 2014 6:55 pm  #19

Oh sorry, the Cruise Missile!
For the record, I loathe Mel Gibson

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 23, 2014 7:27 pm  #20

besleybean wrote:

Oh sorry, the Cruise Missile!
For the record, I loathe Mel Gibson

Have you always loathed him BB?  Mind if I ask what your objections are?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera